USPS postal service

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: USPS postal service

Post by Railsplitter »

FRJ wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:59 pm If one of us were to misappropriate federal mail wouldn't that be a crime. Why not the postal workers, if that's what happened.
That is a very good point you have there, Joe.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

This is to report crimes. What address do we use to report incompetence?
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All;
Well folks I have another report to make, of a different type. Just today, I checked my E-Bay purchase history, to see if anything was to be delivered to my rural mail box today. It showed that a knife, was out for delivery today. It wasn't delivered, with our other mail. My wife, and I, had a heated discussion about the matter, and she called our local USPS office, and reported that the delivery wasn't delivered with our other mail. The mail person in charge of things, put my wife on hold, while the matter was being checked. The person confirmed that a package was shown out for delivery today, and said that our mail carrier was back in the post office, and ready to leave for the day. My wife was put on hold while they checked the delivery box. When it was checked, a very small, envelope was found, overlooked in the bottom. Mystery solved! Our extremely, faithful Mail carrier, was appalled at missing the small envelope, and offered to hand deliver it, on her own time. My wife declined the offer, as it was an honest mistake, and said that tomorrow's delivery would be soon enough.

Sut T'
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

I signed up for informed delivery and get a text every time a package is shipped to my address.

Haven't had any issues until now. TripleF has shipped me a package and sent me the tracking number, but I got no notification, and when I go to the usps website tracking it doesn't show up. But when I highlight the number in my PM's and search Google it shows it is enroute.

I have no doubt Scott shipped it but the post office is dropping the ball somewhere in the tracking system.
Trace
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Rotten wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:41 am I signed up for informed delivery and get a text every time a package is shipped to my address.

Haven't had any issues until now. TripleF has shipped me a package and sent me the tracking number, but I got no notification, and when I go to the usps website tracking it doesn't show up. But when I highlight the number in my PM's and search Google it shows it is enroute.

I have no doubt Scott shipped it but the post office is dropping the ball somewhere in the tracking system.
I have an Informed Delivery account too and mine did that too for the first couple of months after I signed up. That was approximately 2 years ago and it's been 100% accurate for a long time. I can only assume that the program had to "learn" my address and it took a couple months to happen. Sometimes I would get notification and sometimes I wouldn't.

For some reason when I order something from the Buck knife website I always get the USPS notification before Buck sends me their shipping notification. Buck is usually a day late sending the notification but thanks to USPS I already knew it had shipped.

I like the convenience of Informed Delivery because if I have more than one package in transit, all of them are on the same page so I can see them all at the same time. I don't have to track them individually. I can even add packages that I shipped to someone else and those will be on the same page too.

I hope yours works itself out like mine did. It's been very reliable for me except in the beginning.
Rick T.

Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All;
Another week, another knife, not delivered by the USPS. The knife was shown 'out for delivery', but, was not delivered. Oddly the non delivery was made by the same guy that always leaves our mail box door stand wide open after his pick up, and delivery of our mail,. This subjects our mail, to rain, wind, snow, or making it conveniently available to anyone wanting to steal it. As most knife sellers opt to use the cheaper, slower unreliable USPS shipping service, my knife buying, through Flea-Bay or anyone else, over the internet will stop, When we called our local USPS office about the knife that wasn't delivered, this week, the postmaster, withdrew the information, that stated that the knife was 'out for delivery' and explained that the seller had paid for the postage, but, hadn't sent it to them yet. and so, for that reason it wasn't delivered. Do any of you folks understand that BS? I don't.
Sut T'
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Back in my pre-post office box days, I would have 3 to 4 packages a month disappear, whether they were being shipped via USPS, UPS or FedEx. Two of the hazards of living way out in the boonies - porch pirates and mailbox shoppers, and the occasional bad postal carrier.

When the "nearest to me" larger post office that started accepting UPS and FedEx packages if they were addressed to the physical address of the PO with "Unit # XXXX", with "XXXX" being the assigned PO box, I got one and started having all packages delivered to it. It was 46 miles away, but worth it. When a closer post office (26 miles) started accepting said deliveries, I shifted to using that one.

Since that decision, nearly 13 years ago, I have only had 2 packages go missing forever. I have had 3 where the box showed up but the contents didn't - all 3 were due to the shipper being a dumbass in packaging the item. There was the sword that decided to take a Fiji vacation for 6 or 9 months, but that's a different tale.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:32 am decided to take a Fiji vacation for 6 or 9 months, but that's a different tale.
The post office box ploy can be a good one. I had a lovely little darling to take a pleasant cruise to Puerto Rico and around a few bizarre vacation spots before arriving. That was a little stressful but a good read on the tracking. I had a small knife supposed to arrive but lurked in a filthy gray canvas bag in a PO in Denver for a few weeks but it did arrive. I know about filthy canvas bags because I processed many tons of them while I worked for the PO for 31 years. Man, the stories I could tell.
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All;
Sadly this will be my last report on our 'great' USPS. This past week, I've had several more of the same kind of USPS 'shenanigans', I contacted several sellers, to ask if they would consider using other shippers, and none of them would. After serious thought, I have made the decision, not to buy anything, from any internet seller, that insists on using USPS as their only shipper. This essentially, includes every knife seller, on the internet, and totally, stops my knife collecting. This was a tough decision to make. I don't know if I can, strictly stick to it or not, but, that is my intention.

Sut Tatersaul
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Sut - have you thought about having the local post office hold your mail until you go and pick it up? Alternatively, there are locking mailboxes that can be purchased so that packages are put in your box, but a key is required to retrieve them.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi,All;
In my last post, while very angry, I stated that I'd never post on the subject of Our Beloved USPS again. I will now make a liar of myself, and tell of their last notification, that they seem to think should mollify their latest misadventure. They seem to have one to that they believe should mollify any kind of their misadventures. Quite a long time ago I ordered a pair of Victorinox cuff link type emblems. One was in black, and one in red. I assumed the seller had them in stock, but he didn't, and had to order them, to be shipped from their separate makers in China. The seller gave no delivery dates, and after around a month, the black emblem arrived, but the red on never has been delivered. That missing red emblem has been listed out for delivery, for over a week, with the notice "No Authorized Recipient Available" Any of you folks understand that BS? I don't, and guess I've just lost another item.

Sut T'
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

They have lost stuff I ordered, but it was just once and I order a lot. For me, they screw up shipping the order all over the country before it gets to me. I ordered a knife from Ohio. Tracking it, it came to the distribution center a few miles from my house. Instead of delivering to me,they sent it to Pennsylvania. I got it about 2 weeks later.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Sut Tatersaul wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:10 pm Hi,All;
In my last post, while very angry, I stated that I'd never post on the subject of Our Beloved USPS again. I will now make a liar of myself, and tell of their last notification, that they seem to think should mollify their latest misadventure. They seem to have one to that they believe should mollify any kind of their misadventures. Quite a long time ago I ordered a pair of Victorinox cuff link type emblems. One was in black, and one in red. I assumed the seller had them in stock, but he didn't, and had to order them, to be shipped from their separate makers in China. The seller gave no delivery dates, and after around a month, the black emblem arrived, but the red on never has been delivered. That missing red emblem has been listed out for delivery, for over a week, with the notice "No Authorized Recipient Available" Any of you folks understand that BS? I don't, and guess I've just lost another item.

Sut T'
Sut - was the item shipped from a USA address, or directly from China to you? The tracking numbers provided for packages from China are fairly worthless unless you pay big money for DHL or some other big name air carrier. The USPS doesn't have anything to do with the package until it hits the USA, goes through US customs and is transferred to the USPS. So, if the tracking information you are looking at is before the package has made it through US customs, it could be meaningless. And the reverse is also true - the Chinese company's original tracking number is probably not valid after it has been handed to the USPS. Packages get stuck/lost/rejected in the Customs process all the time - especially when using the low-cost shipping services like epacket and China Post. I have no idea why. I have had a couple of packages from China simply disappear. According to the USPS, they never saw the packages. I did eventually get some money back from the seller on Ali Express, but it took several months and I had to be very, very careful to follow the confusing refund process.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I've got a USPS package in transit to me right now. I just checked the tracking and it arrived in St. Louis, MO at 7:31pm today. Then 17 minutes later at 7:48pm it departed Silver Springs, MD. Those two cities are 800 miles apart. There's no way it travelled that far in 17 minutes.

I've seen plenty of goofey stuff from USPS but I've never seen anything like that before. ::shrug::
Rick T.

BatJak

Post by BatJak »

I live about 15 miles outside of town and we used to have a bank of keyed mailboxes off the blacktop about 1/2 mile down the right of way from my property.
never had issues back then.
However, the usps decided to save some gas money and moved the boxes 5 miles closer to town.
AND they started using sub-contracted carriers.
Last year I had about 5 or 6 packages that tracking said DELIVERED but were not in the box when I stopped on the way home.
So, I would have to waste an hour and 1/2 on the phone just so I could tell someone they SCREWED UP !!!
Miraculously the packages would show up in my box the next day or 2.
Got fed up with that crap so I started having packages delivered to my workplace in town and so far haven't had issues.... UNTIL...
A package which should have got to town friday was "delayed"...
It arrived in town yesterday at 8:50 pm
then at 4:01 am this morn it arrived in the next town west of us... about 20 miles away.
WHAT THE WHAT ?!?! Seriously ?!?!

Also, my mailbox, my brother's and my mom's are in the same bank, all stacked above each other,
and I have to re-sort our mail EVERY SINGLE DAY.
They can't even get stuff in the right box.
I've even found mail from addresses in different parts of the county...

And it's not JUST usps, it seems that so few people take pride in their work these days.
I tell my kids "if you can't even do your job right then what good are you?"
If you get paid to do something and you purposely do it half-ass then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Furthermore....

never mind...

sad, very sad
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All;
I feel obligated to share the latest BS excuse given for an item, not being delivered. The black emblem, of a pair of emblems was delivered to our rural post box, several weeks ago. The second half of the pair, a red one never has been delivered. As a satisfaction report was requested, by the seller,I sent
her, what I considered a truthful one. I stating that the second, red emblem had never been delivered, I didn't think that it ever would be delivered, and that, I wouldn't be buying from internet sellers, in the future. Well, this seller gave, a new to me, excuse, and stated, that we were not available for the emblem's delivery. This seems a bit strange to me, as the same rural post box, that we've used for 65 years is in the same place as always. The seller then, reprehended me, by stating that gave an unfair report. 'What do you folks think about them apples'?

Sut T'
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Sut, we all probably feel the same way you do about poor service and arrogant sellers. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

If you used Paypal to pay you can file a claim and get your money back. The seller will be the one eating the loss. If she wants her money back she will have to use the postal insurance that she probably didn't buy.
Rick T.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”