The "Mount Rushmore" of your collection

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The "Mount Rushmore" of your collection

Post by KLJ77 »

As a Buck Knife collector, I'd have to say these are my top four:

1. 2018 Turquoise / Buffalo Horn 408 Kalinga fixed blade
2. 2019 Turquoise / Buffalo Horn 419 Kalinga folder
3. 2018 Buck 640 XL 124 Frontiersman
4. 2018 Buck 120 General BOTM w/distressed flag
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_534.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_527.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_52e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_573.jpeg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:05 pm The Boker 'Reclining Dog' lobster knife is very special i'm sure. It looks to be the oldest 'Reclining Dog' pattern i have seen. Is it USA made ?
And Mike, what is the lockback jack (first picture) ?
So many incredible knives. I don't know if i have anything in the same league. Well i did, an ivory Jos. Rodgers & Sons Sportsmans knife (pg 212, upper left, Sheffield Ex.'n Knives) but now Charlie C. has it.
I agree with k7k, finding just 4 knives can for many collectors be very difficult. I would like to see 4 threads: Mount Rushmore of your vintage folding knives; M.R. of modern folding knives; M.R. of custom made knives; and M.R. of fixed blade knives.
kj
Hey K.J., thanks for the nice comment. The Boker pearl hound dog is German made. It's tang stamp is H. Boker & Co.'s Cutlery Germany.
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

Thanks for the kind words Cal, Roger, Obsidan Edge and anyone else I may have missed. There are a LOT of high quality knives shown in this thread. I'm looking forward to seeing more. ::nod::
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

This is tough! But after some deliberation I'm going with these four. (Plus they're what I could find pictures of. ::facepalm:: )

Ken
Case Bradford 6001 Tri-fold, Rogers bone
Case Bradford 6001 Tri-fold, Rogers bone
G.W. Stone custom folder, stag
G.W. Stone custom folder, stag
Case Tested 5387 gunstock whittler, stag
Case Tested 5387 gunstock whittler, stag
Case Bradford M445 scout, figural nickel silver
Case Bradford M445 scout, figural nickel silver
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

BC55E92B-D987-4E9A-8079-894FDA55CD2B.jpeg
These are not as shiny or valuable as most of the beauties you fellows have submitted. They are, however, the knifes that yell at me the loudest. There are others that come very close, but there is something just a bit extra with these guys.
The fixed is my little PAL Brand. He’s the first fixed I owned as an adult and he kind of started the whole collecting thing. Being a PAL Brand, he’s pre 1935.
The Doctor’s knife is one of my most recent pickups. It’s my oldest dateable knife - 1890’s to 1909. It’s also quite rare. Plus, I just really like it! Curtain & Clark, St Joseph.
The tiny Delrin handled Coast has been my constant companion since I got it. It’s moved from pocket to purse and back again, but it’s always somewhere within reach.
Last we have my Italian made Premium Stock Knife. I call her “Honey” and I think you can see why. I love her worn old bones! She’s been places and done things and been well and thoroughly used.
There they are, the must haves and well beloved!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Some beautiful stuff being shown here but what I enjoy most is the stories behind them. To me a knife doesn't have to be worth taking out a second mortgage to buy or what it may be worth monetarily. The "value" of any object to me is very subjective. One of my treasures is my grandfather's Kamp King that monetarily is worth very little but to me no amount of money could ever surpass the story behind it.
Likewise my Utica Sportsman that I bought at the age of 10(with my grandfather's permission)and still proudly display even after it took a 25 year sabbatical.
Another one is a Pakistani barlow that was gifted to me from a very dear friend who after suffering several debilitating strokes mistook it for his grandfather's knife.
And finally there is this little Schrade double switchblade with it's original purse,dulled blades,and grooves worn into the handles from uncounted cutting of thread that another good friend traded me that he got from his grandmother's sewing kit after she had passed.
These are knives that mean everything to me and likely nobody else.Hopefully after I leave this world their stories(packed away with each of them)will be enjoyed by someone else.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

knife7knut wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:26 pm Some beautiful stuff being shown here but what I enjoy most is the stories behind them. To me a knife doesn't have to be worth taking out a second mortgage to buy or what it may be worth monetarily. The "value" of any object to me is very subjective. One of my treasures is my grandfather's Kamp King that monetarily is worth very little but to me no amount of money could ever surpass the story behind it.
Likewise my Utica Sportsman that I bought at the age of 10(with my grandfather's permission)and still proudly display even after it took a 25 year sabbatical.
Another one is a Pakistani barlow that was gifted to me from a very dear friend who after suffering several debilitating strokes mistook it for his grandfather's knife.
And finally there is this little Schrade double switchblade with it's original purse,dulled blades,and grooves worn into the handles from uncounted cutting of thread that another good friend traded me that he got from his grandmother's sewing kit after she had passed.
These are knives that mean everything to me and likely nobody else.Hopefully after I leave this world their stories(packed away with each of them)will be enjoyed by someone else.
Very well said K7K!! I agree!! :)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

knife7knut wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:26 pm Some beautiful stuff being shown here but what I enjoy most is the stories behind them.
I got all caught up in posting those knives and neglected to tell the back story on each.

George Washington -- As everyone knows by now I served in the Corps and am very proud of my service. That knife not only commemorates the 200th anniversary of the Corps but commemorates the return of the USMC fighting knife to the K-Bar line of products. Camillus made USMC fighting knives after WWII but until 1975 Ka-Bar did not. The knife is fairly rare so when I found one on Craig's List, I didn't hesitate.

Thomas Jefferson -- I picked up that Bead & Ring FS shortly after my separation from the Corps. Saw it in a sporting goods store window and bought it for (if memory serves) five bucks. That would have been in the late '60s. All these years I thought it was a cheap knife and had no idea it was a genuine WWII issue until I started doing some research on it. Not only did I discover it's from WWII but the current value is somewhere around $500 and my research led me to AAPK.

Abraham Lincoln Ever since I discovered the Tony Bose Collaboration knives, I've wanted one. Some time after the 07 Collab knives were introduced I finally won my fight with the VA over compensation for my hearing issues. It took six years and since they go back to the day the claim was filed, the check was rather large and a chunk of it went to that Tony Bose 07.

Theodore Roosevelt When I was in Viet Nam, two of the guys in my hooch had Randall knives. Richard "Steve" StClair had a #1 fighting knife and Henry "Steve" Kjentvet had a #18 Crutch tip handled Attack Survival knife. Our hooch was a canvas General Purpose tent stretched over a 2x4 frame (later to be called SEA Huts [South East Asia]) and during monsoon season, leaked every place the canvas touched the wood. We had poncho's tied up over our rack to drain the drips to the outside perimeter of the tent. Lucky for us, our chief cook (Sgt E-5) was one of the preeminent scroungers in South Viet Nam. Shortly after we were transferred up to Bravo Battery on Monkey Mountain, he rolled in one day with a 6x6 loaded with corrugated tin and we set in on the task of nailing the side flaps of the tents to the frame (later to be replaced with 1x8's nailed on in a lap configuration) and cutting off the tops to be replaced with the corrugated. Some guys used Ka-Bars, some used bayonets but StClair and Kjentvet used their Randall's. The Ka-Bar's and bayonets had to be sharpened frequently. The Randall's did not. Needless to say, I was impressed. Even in the mid-'60s the price was high for a Randall and the wait time long (though nowhere as long as today) so as much as I wanted one, I couldn't afford it. Fast forward about 15 years and I discovered that Mod. 8 Trout and Bird in a sporting goods store just up the street from where I lived. There was a Randall I could afford and didn't have to wait on forever. I jumped on it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Thanks for posting the stories Jerry ;that is what it is all about! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Jerry: Thought you might get a kick out of these ads pirated from some old magazines;especially ad #4. Where's my time machine when I need it the most?
Attachments
KnifeAd1.jpg
KnifeAd2.jpg
KnifeAd3.jpg
KnifeAd4.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

knife7knut wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:36 am Jerry: Thought you might get a kick out of these ads pirated from some old magazines;especially ad #4. Where's my time machine when I need it the most?
Ahh, the good old days. Thanks for that.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:05 pm The Boker 'Reclining Dog' lobster knife is very special i'm sure. It looks to be the oldest 'Reclining Dog' pattern i have seen. Is it USA made ?
And Mike, what is the lockback jack (first picture) ?
So many incredible knives. I don't know if i have anything in the same league. Well i did, an ivory Jos. Rodgers & Sons Sportsmans knife (pg 212, upper left, Sheffield Ex.'n Knives) but now Charlie C. has it.
I agree with k7k, finding just 4 knives can for many collectors be very difficult. I would like to see 4 threads: Mount Rushmore of your vintage folding knives; M.R. of modern folding knives; M.R. of custom made knives; and M.R. of fixed blade knives.
kj
Roland, the top locking knife is a Napanoch. Great knives and book Jerry.
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am just posting one knife now and will post 3 more when i can decide.
This is a knife that is commonplace but attractive and potentially intriguing, a Schrade Folding Hunter 125OT with customized handles. I bought this well over 10 years ago, from an estate auction in Texas.
Some years later i read an on online article saying John Wayne Gacy had a favorite Schrade "pocket knife".
kj
Attachments
IMGP7740.JPG
IMGP7741.JPG
IMGP7742.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes JWG was a horrible person and obviously there are many others with the same initials.
kj
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

In a continuation of this Mount Rushmore of your collection thread, I am showing 4 knives I have customized or otherwise rescued from the dumpster. If you rescue or customize knives for your own collection, or have had some one else do the work for you, show them here. Your favorite top 4 only.

Kutmaster stockman that I bought for $1 because it had a broken blade. I made the new Wharnecliff from 1095.
IMG_4922.JPG
Imperial Kamp King converted from shell handle by making new brass liners, nickle silver bolsters, and handled in stag.
IMG_4923.JPG
Schrade 206 Barlow rehandled in MONEY, clear acrylic with shredded US currency mixed in.
IMG_4924.JPG
Case folding hunter with a bad clip blade made into a pocket chopper and handled with stag.
IMG_4926 (2).JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Jim,

Those are some great reworks on those knives. ::tu:: But the one with the "money" handles is uniquely awesome. That was a GREAT idea to do that. Very impressive.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:36 pm….with shredded US currency mixed in
curious minds want to know where shredded US currency comes from - very cool
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Very nice work. Jim, did that Schrade barlow have Swinden pin construction?
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

bestgear wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:45 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:36 pm….with shredded US currency mixed in
curious minds want to know where shredded US currency comes from - very cool
I bought pen blanks that already were made with the acrylic and currency. If you had some crystal clear acrylic, you could shred the contents of your wallet and make your own.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

tongueriver wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:48 pm Very nice work. Jim, did that Schrade barlow have Swinden pin construction?
Yes it had Swinden pin construction. I reassembled it with the Swinden pin because it was good and tight with no damage, and because of the scroll work on the bolsters.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:36 pm Kutmaster stockman...new Wharnecliff
That one really trips my trigger, Wharncliffe junkie that I am. ::nod::

Well done, OC...very nice indeed! 8) ::tu::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I love that chopper you made, OC. 😎👍👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:10 am
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:36 pm Kutmaster stockman...new Wharnecliff
That one really trips my trigger, Wharncliffe junkie that I am. ::nod::

Well done, OC...very nice indeed! 8) ::tu::
Thanks to all for the comments.
Q, I know you have some customized folders, let's see your top 4, your Mt Rushmore.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I have 4 contenders, as soon as I get back to Alexandria, and thanks to Gary, Herb and MM. 😎👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “General Knife Discussion”