When you damage or lose a favorite EDC knife, what do you do?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: When you damage or lose a favorite EDC knife, what do you do?

Post by Jody744 »

Something different. Lost the S&M scout I carried new at my wedding in 2008. I have replaced with a Vic alox pioneer. Victorinox was my first love in pocketknives, if it gets messed up their warranty will repair or replace.
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I used to carry this Remington R322 in black composition to work every day even though it was a bit on the large, clunky side for an EDC. No etch but decent, gently used blades and a pattern I don't see often. I think I paid around $35 for it at some online auction.

One day on returning home, the knife was not in my pocket. The pleated pants I was wearimg that day had shallow pockets and I thought for sure the knife slipped out when I was having lunch because I was sitting on a bar stool. A few days later I went back to the restaurant and the same waiter/bartender was working. I asked about a found pocket knife but he said no one turned anything in. I kind of felt wierd asking because Alexandria ain't the friendliest place for knives and firearms.

A few months later I was cleaning out my car and there the knife was on the rear floor mat. It must have slid out of my pocket driving home, worked its way between the seats and ended up there. I decided not to EDC this knife anymore, not so much because of value, but because I had become attached to it.
Attachments
WP_20160912_003.jpg
WP_20160912_004.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I had a case/bose dogleg jack that I carried as an EDC for a year or more. I set it down on a trailer fender and it went from there to somewhere in the ether or maybe a lucky fellow's pocket. So.... I bought another one. At one point I gave it a rest of a few days in my dresser drawer. When I retrieved it, BOTH springs (backsprings is redundant) were snapped in half. CASE fixed it for me; I don't think there was a charge. I never knew a knife to self-destruct. The little fellow and I are still together now, off and on. Good knife.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

If I really like a particular Brand/Model of knife I will lay in a supply of extra's - so if I do lose or break one, I'm covered. I really like the Case 18 pattern for EDC - I've got a dozen of them. I really like the Case 32 pattern for EDC, got three of them. I really like the Buck 118 for my prime hunting knife - I've got half a dozen of them. I could go on, but you get the picture. That is how I deal with a favorite EDC - I'm a "redundancy is good" kinda guy! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
blade objective

Post by blade objective »

I lost many a knife till I started using only pocket knives with either a lanyard ring or hole.
I tie the lanyard through a belt loop on my pants.
Never lost one since.
You can also use a pocket knife sheath with the lanyard tied the same way.
If the knife pops out of your pocket or sheath it's safe from lose or theft.
::tu::
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:53 pm I had a case/bose dogleg jack that I carried as an EDC for a year or more. I set it down on a trailer fender and it went from there to somewhere in the ether or maybe a lucky fellow's pocket. So.... I bought another one. At one point I gave it a rest of a few days in my dresser drawer. When I retrieved it, BOTH springs (backsprings is redundant) were snapped in half. CASE fixed it for me; I don't think there was a charge. I never knew a knife to self-destruct. The little fellow and I are still together now, off and on. Good knife.
Both springs breaking, now that's strange. I once had a gec spring break. They fixed it, then I sold the knife. I was already thinking about selling it before the spring broke. It was stainless for what that's worth.

I have a schrade 8813 SS with a spring that may be ready to break, it's only cracked now, probably has been for decades. If that ever goes it will be a mite tougher to get fixed.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
petesknives

Post by petesknives »

I just remember that it went to knife heaven along with so many. Then I cry !
"Buy more ammo!" Johnnie Fain RIP

"Buy the ticket, take the ride"
Hunter S. Thompson. RIP
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

before I got serious about knife collecting, I used to lose them, leave them in my pockets and run downstairs when I would hear them rattling around in the dryer, etc. Since I really got into it ( 5 years or so), I've only lost one knife ... I just pay more attention now. I use everything I own ... some more sparingly than others though 8)
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John

Return to “General Knife Discussion”