Framed Samari Sword

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Framed Samari Sword

Post by Old Folder »

About 30 years ago as I was coming home from work I would drive past the old Lockheed Martin Skunk Works Administration Union Bldg. located in Burbank Ca. Now the "Hollywood Burbank Airport"
Burbank Airport was the historical home of the Lockheed "Skunk Works," which designed many black project aircraft during the Cold War, including the U-2, SR-71 Blackbird and F-117 Nighthawk. The "Skunk Works" name originated in 1943 due to the strong odor emanating from a manufacturing plant near the Burbank site. As of 1988, when Lockheed announced the Skunk Works' relocation to Palmdale, Lockheed employed around 12,000 people at Burbank.
My Mother also worked at the Lockheed facility in Burbank the mid 1960s and transferred to Howard Hughes Corporation to work on the Apollo 11 program. However, she was not alone, close to 400,000 people worked with the Apollo 11 program throughout the program.

There was a small sign on the front of the building stating that there was to be an Antique sale on the following Saturday morning.
I arrived early, only a few people were in line. There was approx. 10 sellers inside, most sellers were senior Ladies. I immediately noticed the below pictured Samari display. I asked the cheerful Lady the asking price and any history she might have on the framed set. She advised me that her husband had brought it back from Japan in the very early 1950s. He had been in the U.S. Army and was stationed in Japan during the American Occupation (1945-1952) She had unfortunately lost her Husband a couple years before this meeting, and that he had worked at the Lockheed Skunk Works for many years and retired.
The cheerful Lady was aware that the sword was not an original Samari, and advised me that she would sell it for a firm $100. I agreed and it has been on my wall since.
My wife speaks numerous Asian languages but not Japanese, she has a friend that does speak Japanese, she said that the Japanese writings state dates from separate time frames and Emperors of Japan.
There are no other inscriptions on the framed set.
The frame measures 36 & 1/2" X 17" and is 2" deep. The swords measure 25 & 3/4" for the lower one and 17" for the upper sword.
IMG_0001 (2).JPG
A little interesting history on "Occupied Japan"
Gen. Douglas MacArthur had no idea what he was giving birth to in 1945, when he set up headquarters in Tokyo after World War II and was entrusted with governing the defeated nation. His mission: to revive Japan's economy. Between 1945 and 1952, under MacArthur's command, all factories were instructed to print "Occupied Japan" or "Made in Occupied Japan" on their products. What began as a simple means of identification for U.S. import authorities has become the alpha and omega for a growing number of collectors.
Look for the Occupied Japan mark. An exception: items that are not individually marked, but are packed with other items in a box with the mark.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Doc B

Re: Framed Samari Sword

Post by Doc B »

Very neat display, OF !!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Ditto, very cool display and a great story! You could have fooled me, they look like very high quality, if not "original". ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Very nice. ::tu:: I enjoyed the back story on this piece.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Thank you for your compliments guys.
::nod::
Dan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

A hundred bucks very well spent, Dan! ::tu:: That is a nice display.
Dan
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Nice presentation, Dan. Love it.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Thank you dan & Tony. ::nod::
Dan
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Nice display. that sword may not be old but the smaller items around it may be, or even really old. Unlike European swords, Samari swords can be dis-assembled into various pieces. The pieces were passed down thru generations. When the occupation forces destroyed swords they were mostly interested in the blades so the other pieces were often saved. So it is possible that you have some very old components. Thanks
Bruce
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Berryb wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:14 pm Nice display. that sword may not be old but the smaller items around it may be, or even really old. Unlike European swords, Samari swords can be dis-assembled into various pieces. The pieces were passed down thru generations. When the occupation forces destroyed swords they were mostly interested in the blades so the other pieces were often saved. So it is possible that you have some very old components. Thanks
Bruce
Thanks for that information Bruce. ::nod::
Perhaps that's the reason for the different dates?
I think I need to research it further.
Dan

Return to “General Knife Discussion”