POS Roundtable 2020

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Berryb

Re: POS Roundtable 2020

Post by Berryb »

Mary Jo came thru the door last night with a box from rangerbluedog pinched between thumb and forefinger, extended out in front of her- Like that's gonna do any good. She's a strong woman, but nobody's that strong. PPG in place, I got it open. What flopped out first was an "army" knife still in the blister pack, and a folding corkscrew. It improved after that. A couple of Bokers with re-shaped blades. Someday somebody will invent a paint can that doesn't say to everyone "use yer pocket knife, that'll work". There's a SAK wannabe from Germany that inexplicably has a stainless knife blade. The rest of the tools are carbon steel. The other 2 standouts are; an advertiser with the ads in Cyrillic, and a CRKT that's going into my pocket after a good cleanup, of course. Thanks RBD, it was fun.
Bruce
Attachments
pos gets 2020.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

richard wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:02 am will be like christmas again ::groove:: in a week or two. i cant wait
Richard, remember when you were a kid and that one Christmas when you got socks. Well it's kinda like that. ::rotflol::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::nod:: ::nod::
jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:58 pm
richard wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:02 am will be like christmas again ::groove:: in a week or two. i cant wait
Richard, remember when you were a kid and that one Christmas when you got socks. Well it's kinda like that. ::rotflol::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:58 pm
I remember that Christmas..... I was excited to open the biggest box under the tree...... and when I opened it.....
SOCKS.... a whole dozen..... then I looked at my grandmother and said....."Thanks Granny".... (With the best fake smile I could muster)

::uc::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

At least you guys got sox. I got underwear.
Bruce
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I had a package on my desk at work today, along with a note from my co-worker who dropped it off (something about finding a new job maybe???)

Well, Doglegg, you sure know how to play this game. I see you sharing some nice knives on the forum. Apparently, you kept all of those to yourself, LOL.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few interesting items, so it's not all hopeless, but there are definitely stinkers in there.

Well done!
POS2020.jpg
Oh yeah, the keychain screwdriver is something only a zoomie could appreciate!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Wow, that is a treasure trove!! ::nod::
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Glenn, I hate that your feel chiseled. I mean if it were too bad you could whistle for help. If you felt to depressed over the pile you could always screw the little plug in into a light bulb fixture and insert one of the knife blades (that's about all a couple could be used for). The ounce of copper could be cashed in to pay your medical bills from the knife blade/electric socket incident. I thought for sure the gentleman knives could be used to impress your mountain man friends with your genteel and cultured nature. And who else has a one size fits nothing keychain screwdriver? And with the SAK Chinese knives you can start a very inexpensive collection that could grow to unstoreable dimensions in no time. And the Klein and scout camping knife are two of the best knives from my humble collection! I hated to let them go (but the house does smell better now)! If you look up POS on Wikipedia you will find a picture of the wonderful group that is now yours. I am crushed. I will try to do better next time. :roll:
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

doglegg wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:00 pm Glenn, I hate that your feel chiseled. I mean if it were too bad you could whistle for help. If you felt to depressed over the pile you could always screw the little plug in into a light bulb fixture and insert one of the knife blades (that's about all a couple could be used for). The ounce of copper could be cashed in to pay your medical bills from the knife blade/electric socket incident. I thought for sure the gentleman knives could be used to impress your mountain man friends with your genteel and cultured nature. And who else has a one size fits nothing keychain screwdriver? And with the SAK Chinese knives you can start a very inexpensive collection that could grow to unstoreable dimensions in no time. And the Klein and scout camping knife are two of the best knives from my humble collection! I hated to let them go (but the house does smell better now)! If you look up POS on Wikipedia you will find a picture of the wonderful group that is now yours. I am crushed. I will try to do better next time. :roll:
Don the gum boots...........it's gettin' deep in here ! ::woot::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

Bladebuddy I finally made it to the PO
I apologize for the delay, sickness hath run amuck here.
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

philco wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:04 pm
Don the gum boots...........it's gettin' deep in here ! ::woot::
:lol:
Better be hip waders or maybe chest waders!

:lol:
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Berryb wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:31 pm At least you guys got sox. I got underwear.
Bruce
Hey, I received underwear this Christmas and was glad to get 'em. Not as thrilled as I was with the Case Mini-Trapper, but still...... ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Speaking of receiving, I was sitting around minding my own business reading a Library book when all of a sudden this odor started wafting into my living room. It got stronger and stronger, then my doorbell rang. Postal carrier. I got to the door and she was already back in her truck with all the windows open, trying to drive away as she threw up out the truck window. What a mess. No doubt what caused that. Bfeldman. Being of a stronger constitution I brought it in, opened it up and segregated the parts that were causing all the stink and it all calmed down.

It's like that old spaghetti western The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Mostly bad and ugly in the spirit of the POS Roundtable. Most of those rust buckets don't have a snap in a car load.
Pkg from Bfeldman.jpg
From Bfeldman Package contents.jpg

But there were a couple of good ones in with the ugly. Take that Colonial Fish-Knife for example. Yeah it has "been there, done that" patina but the blades are full and after a couple of drops of Quick Release, they both snap like Oprah on a chicken leg. She ain't pretty but she's very functional. A couple of licks on a stone and any fisherman would be happy to have it in his tackle box. ::nod::
Colonial Fish Knife from Bfeldman (1-27-20).jpg
My favorite is the Alox 93mm Soldier - 1961 Design. A little Quick Release on the joints and I can't find a single thing wrong with it. Great snap and no blemishes. It's like it came out of the factory yesterday. I am thrilled with it. Thank you Bfeldman. Thank you very much!!
BTW, did I ever tell you that Alox are my favorite SAK's?
Victorinox Soldier - 1961 Design.jpg
93mm.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

doglegg wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:00 pm Glenn, I hate that your feel chiseled. I mean if it were too bad you could whistle for help. If you felt to depressed over the pile you could always screw the little plug in into a light bulb fixture and insert one of the knife blades (that's about all a couple could be used for). The ounce of copper could be cashed in to pay your medical bills from the knife blade/electric socket incident. I thought for sure the gentleman knives could be used to impress your mountain man friends with your genteel and cultured nature. And who else has a one size fits nothing keychain screwdriver? And with the SAK Chinese knives you can start a very inexpensive collection that could grow to unstoreable dimensions in no time. And the Klein and scout camping knife are two of the best knives from my humble collection! I hated to let them go (but the house does smell better now)! If you look up POS on Wikipedia you will find a picture of the wonderful group that is now yours. I am crushed. I will try to do better next time. :roll:
Apparently, you put more thought into this than I gave you credit for! ::groove::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

glennbad wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:45 pm I had a package on my desk at work today, along with a note from my co-worker who dropped it off (something about finding a new job maybe???)

Well, Doglegg, you sure know how to play this game. I see you sharing some nice knives on the forum. Apparently, you kept all of those to yourself, LOL.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few interesting items, so it's not all hopeless, but there are definitely stinkers in there.

Well done!

POS2020.jpg

Those little pen screwdrivers are quite handy to have. Advance Auto has them for like a couple bucks, and I buy one every time I'm there. Main reason--uh, every time I use them, I lose a couple of the bits. A: leaving it on the workpiece B: forgetting to put the cap back on.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Just now gettin' back in the house, had to leave after I opened a package from South Florida around noon! Well I did take a nap before I went to the woods this evening. :)
Our man Tony (aka Tsar Bomba) sent a heavy box our way, it weighed 2 pounds and was full of real stuff! :roll: I did appreciate his selection of several pieces of special cutlery from the well know knife maker P.A. Kistan, his work never ceases to amaze me! The orange Barlow is a piece of work, it is boldly marked STEELLESS/PAKISTAN. :)
STEELLESS BARLOW made by our man P.A. Kistan
STEELLESS BARLOW made by our man P.A. Kistan
Then there was another from Mr. Kistan, looks like a Mini-Trapper. I imagine Jerryd or Q will try to talk me out this one. It has fat wooden handles.
As I rooted through Tony's contribution, I spotted another amazing knife. It was imported all the way from far away China. I believe it is very innovative in that Barlow knives have been redesigned and will soon all look like this:
Barlow, new style
Barlow, new style
Tony included a real Robeson Daddy Barlow 512224, well used but could still be used:
Robeson 512224 Daddy Barlow
Robeson 512224 Daddy Barlow
The box also contained Keen Kutter, K01881, beautiful old bone handles but sadly the blades are almost none existent. ::shrug:: Included too was a small Western 6504 that is stamped WHITTLER under the number, well used of course. There is also an IDEAL knife from Providence and a razor lookin' thing with what may be a horn handle/frame, stamped on the fairly sharp blade is KASIM (?) Also in the wad was a brand spankin' new Remington big Barlow from China, interesting handles. ::tu::
Truly the most interesting knife is a little yellow handled Colonial Tuxedo. The nail file is actually riveted to a tang rather than being one piece.:
Colonial Tuxedo with 2 piece nail file blade.
Colonial Tuxedo with 2 piece nail file blade.
Last of all, Tony what on earth is this?:
Tony, Tony
Tony, Tony
The whole pile:
014.JPG
Thank you Tsar Bomba for an interesting POS! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:09 am
glennbad wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:45 pm I had a package on my desk at work today, along with a note from my co-worker who dropped it off (something about finding a new job maybe???)

Well done!

POS2020.jpg

Those little pen screwdrivers are quite handy to have. Advance Auto has them for like a couple bucks, and I buy one every time I'm there. Main reason--uh, every time I use them, I lose a couple of the bits. A: leaving it on the workpiece B: forgetting to put the cap back on.
Cody, I may regret throwing in the screw driver when I have to start repairing my glasses with tape. ::dang::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Oh Philip, maybe you can hide some of those under all that fallen timber. Condolences. ::tear::
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

treefarmer wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:16 am The box also contained Keen Kutter, K01881, beautiful old bone handles but sadly the blades are almost none existent. ::shrug::
It's a good knife if you keep the blades closed. ::rotflol:: Believe it or not, even the pen blade can be opened. There's still a remnant of the nail nick and I have used that blade to cut (very small) things before. ::nod:: it's built on the Camillus #41 frame, if you're interested in attempting to revive it. As you said, the bones are real nice.
Last of all, Tony what on earth is this?
:lol: I suspect it's what the post-war Japanese believed people in the West used to eat their food outside.
Thank you Tsar Bomba for an interesting POS! ::handshake::
I'm glad it survived the transit without getting shunted off to a bomb squad or a HazMat team. I'm even gladder I was able to get rid of that pile! I hope it brings you enjoyment. :mrgreen:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

It's amazing what shows up in the POS Roundtables! How did we acquire such wonderful pieces to share with each other. I'd be hard pressed to own up to buying or trading for most of this stuff but I'm still guilty of owing more POS fodder. Lookin' forward to next year! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
EWMailman

Post by EWMailman »

Well, i thought it odd to see buzzards circling the building when I got to work yesterday (they are not normally in SC Pa. this time of year), but the mystery was soon solved. My box from knifegnome was inside waiting. The buzzards must have followed it from Florida. Anyway, I opened it last night and this is what I found: Imperial--China--Victorinox--Sabre (Japan)--Vignos--Case. I think I will actually find a use for the Vignos and the Case. My wife has put in a request for one to use in the chicken coop (appropriate destination!!!) so, all in all, not too bad. Thanks Scott.
Attachments
DSC01263.JPG
DSC01264.JPG
DSC01265.JPG
DSC01266.JPG
DSC01267.JPG
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

EWMailman wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:36 pm I think I will actually find a use for the Vignos and the Case. My wife has put in a request for one to use in the chicken coop (appropriate destination!!!) so, all in all, not too bad. Thanks Scott.
LOL... I read this as your "wife's request for..... chicken POOP".... LOL.

You know.... I'm just glad the stink isn't able to come thru the net..... This thread would be a REAL STINKER....

:shock: ::barf::
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Well I got my batch last night from petesknives and it’s an odd bunch, the American Blade lockback is cool. Thanks
Attachments
7D8171B5-CF0D-4D16-BE6E-4CFD607B2826.jpeg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

So...... was there any blades in the razor blade box?
(I have the razor that fits those meat slicers....)
:shock:
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

EWM, glad it's you and not me but the little florist knife and the sodbuster look like pretty knice knives. ::nod::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”