WHAT DID YOU USE YOUR KNIFE FOR TODAY!!!!!!????

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: WHAT DID YOU USE YOUR KNIFE FOR TODAY!!!!!!????

Post by treefarmer »

Ken, "boiler" is a bad word in my vocabulary!
When I first started working with the local school board maintenance department way back in 1974, my 1st job was helping a guy re-insulate an old diesel fired steam boiler used to heat an old high school building. I've scraped many a pump flange with what ever I was carrying back in the day, usually a Case trapper or an Old Timer. There were 8 old boilers that caused me to dislike cold weather. In the late 70's most of the old burners were changed to a duel fuel, natural gas/diesel system and life became more agreeable to some degree. Still had controls and condensate pumps leaking and we still scraped gaskets till all that mess was phased out and replaced with heat pumps.

Enough reminiscing :oops: Today I used my Queen #19 to open a new vacuum cleaner box. We have a built in vacuum system, seems like we could have bought another knife or a some ammo instead of a Bissell hoopty-doo. :roll:
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Took down a bird today using only a 43... 8)
Attachments
IMG_20200604_202352.jpg
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

::tu:: ::woot:: ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::super_happy:: ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I used the massive spey on this Camillus trapper to shmear my english muffins last week. Didn't have any flesh to cut, so... ::shrug::
Attachments
IMG_20200625_130206.jpg
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

Used my trapper to cut the plastic from a case of Dr. Enuf.
Attachments
CAA29421-BA6E-4B60-9290-B3204FA72DB6.jpeg
B4BABF00-33DD-47BF-8C8D-9DA6AF48C566.jpeg
C308182C-5D7F-45AF-8DA8-3DA02F671429.jpeg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Dr. Enuf. Had to look it up. You'd think being around since 1949 I would have heard about it.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Tsar Bomba wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:41 am Took down a bird today using only a 43... 8)
OMG love that knife!! Just an FYI I take trades ;-)

Took this pic yesterday just so I could post in this thread.
Attachments
20200710_082526.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Still can't bring myself to use my pocket knife on my food.

But that's me.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Steve Warden wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:21 pm Dr. Enuf. Had to look it up. You'd think being around since 1949 I would have heard about it.
Me too, and it's almost as old as me and made in Tn. Who'd thunk it. My local DG supposedly has it in stock, I may have to try it although I swore off sody pops several years ago. ::handshake::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Dr. Enuf is a new one on me, too. I looked up the history but didn't notice the distribution range from Tennessee.

Back on track, I used my SOG Flash II to cut a 3/4" wild grape vine that attacked my mower this morning. I was mowing up under some heavy junk on the edge of a little road and the left front wheel caught the vine and I couldn't get loose from it. The more I backed up, the the more vine came out of the thicket until it got too heavy to pull. The mower is too heavy to lift one corner to free the wheel, so out came the SOG and in a few seconds we were mowing again. I should carry a pair of loppers on the mower for low hanging branches and to fend the occasional attack of a grape vine. :)
Treefarmer
Attachments
The SOG is an ugly sucker but it opens with one hand  <br /> and is very handy around the farm.  In the other pocket was my old #49 Queen.  No need to stress a good knife for such a menial task as cuttin' a grape vine's throat.
The SOG is an ugly sucker but it opens with one hand
and is very handy around the farm. In the other pocket was my old #49 Queen. No need to stress a good knife for such a menial task as cuttin' a grape vine's throat.

Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:30 pm Still can't bring myself to use my pocket knife on my food.

But that's me.
What?!?! That's ludicrous. It's the number one way to build immunity to COVID XX
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:30 pm Still can't bring myself to use my pocket knife on my food.

But that's me.
How come you won't use it for food? That's half the work load around here. Hope you get that straightened out.
Attachments
thumbnail_20200703_132720 (1).jpg
thumbnail_20200702_130058.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

treefarmer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:54 pm Ken, "boiler" is a bad word in my vocabulary!
When I first started working with the local school board maintenance department way back in 1974, my 1st job was helping a guy re-insulate an old diesel fired steam boiler used to heat an old high school building. I've scraped many a pump flange with what ever I was carrying back in the day, usually a Case trapper or an Old Timer. There were 8 old boilers that caused me to dislike cold weather. In the late 70's most of the old burners were changed to a duel fuel, natural gas/diesel system and life became more agreeable to some degree. Still had controls and condensate pumps leaking and we still scraped gaskets till all that mess was phased out and replaced with heat pumps.

Enough reminiscing :oops: Today I used my Queen #19 to open a new vacuum cleaner box. We have a built in vacuum system, seems like we could have bought another knife or a some ammo instead of a Bissell hoopty-doo. :roll:
Treefarmer
And vaccuums keep getting cheaper and cheaper. We have old Dirt Devils--they are built like tanks. But, in less than 10 years, we've been through 5 others. From switches that stopped working, to even some that exploded after falling down 6 steps. My Shark is a pile of crap. Works really well, but is a little too plastic fantastic (and the latch on the bin wore out, and I'm having to use rubber bands; which often slip loose and dust everywhere). My Grandmother has a Bissell--which feels cheap and works cheap.

My folks bought a Filter Queen for close to $2000 (without even being adjusted for inflation!) back in the 1970s. Still works, just the hose is dry-rotted (and expensive, since it contains electrical contacts to run powered attachments; similar to my Shark), and it got retired because my Granddad was dumb enough to loan it out; and even dumber; it was used to suck ashes out of my great-Grandmother's coal stove. While the company ownership has changed (actually got sold to one of their salesmen/distributors); they still make basically the same vac, and thus parts. Looks like for about $100 in parts (filters, new hose with contacts for powered attachments, maybe power cord) and a little more for the accessories I want, I can have something that will beat everything on the market today; and make a Dyson look like a store brand POS.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Ivoryman wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:05 pm

But that's me.
How come you won't use it for food? That's half the work load around here. Hope you get that straightened out.
If all I cut with my knife was food, I wouldn't have a problem. But I cut other things that who knows who's hands have been all over it. I'm not a germaphobe, but I don't eat with dirty hands, either. Nope, not gonna sterilize my knife just so I can cut my food. I'll just grab a knife out of the kitchen drawer.
I also use 3-in-one oil for my knife lube. I did cut an apple once. 3-in-one tastes nasty.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Steve Warden wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:13 pm

But that's me.
If all I cut with my knife was food, I wouldn't have a problem. But I cut other things that who knows who's hands have been all over it. I'm not a germaphobe, but I don't eat with dirty hands, either. Nope, not gonna sterilize my knife just so I can cut my food. I'll just grab a knife out of the kitchen drawer.
I also use 3-in-one oil for my knife lube. I did cut an apple once. 3-in-one tastes nasty.
Gun oil is part of the reason I don't --that stuff is nasty! But, it seems to work a lot better than mineral oil. And I tend to drop my knives and tools in the barn a lot. In other words, mud and manure. And besides, I have a block full of kitchen knives I've bought new and used over the years; that tend to be sharp unless someone else used them.

If I'm opening food packaging, fine. Doesn't even matter what it is (unless it's raw meat). But, food prep. Gotta be a fixed blade in a hard polymer sheath, since the whole thing can be sterilized.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Mineral oil tastes better. So does olive and baby oil. I used 3 in 1 decades ago, but didn't like the taste or the lingering smell. Break Free CLP is much better and doesn't linger like that as well.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Ivoryman wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:20 pm Mineral oil tastes better. So does olive and baby oil. I used 3 in 1 decades ago, but didn't like the taste or the lingering smell. Break Free CLP is much better and doesn't linger like that as well.
Now, see? I do like the smell of 3-in-one. Kinda like Hoppes No. 9 gun oil. I like it.

Baby oil is just mineral oil with perfume. I don't like the taste of perfume, either.

While I know some people do use olive oil as a blade lube, I don't. Being made from fruit it can spoil and go rancid. I won't risk it.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

CHNeal

Post by CHNeal »

Let’s see, today my 301 cut the label off my new Tilly hat, sliced an apple, opened 6 bags of mulch, a bag of lawn food, fresh bag of dog food and I think that’s it. Pretty slow day but it will be back on the job site tomorrow so it will get plenty of exercise.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Steve, Steve! You need to get out among us civilized folks a bit more! ::poke:: Blue jean and bib overall legs are made for sterilizing pocket knife blades. That bit of information can be found in the Redneck guide book, I forgot what page. I've been tryin' to change Miss Joy's mind for goin' on 54 years, she still believes about like you. She always asks, "What did you cut with that knife?" I'll respond, "I wiped it on my britches leg." Life goes on....

All in jest my friend. ::handshake::
Treefarmer

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Don't we all have more than one pocket knife? ::shrug::

The big Camillus trapper I carried a couple weeks ago is currently serving food duty at home. It's a double threat because it will cut through anything and you can use the big spey blade to spread your shmear. :mrgreen:
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Steve Warden wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:13 pm

But that's me.
No problem! I just wipe the blade clean on the leg of my dirty old bluejeans!
Like Bocephus sang, "A Country Boy Can Survive!"
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I been known to cut a chaw off my old rough country twist and then quarter a Grimes golden delicious with the same blade after a swipe or two on my jeans. Of course if you use t'baccy in any form your not overly worried about good health, so little oil and dirt don't amount to much. ::poke::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

My wife's granddad chewed twist. I chewed Red Man loose leave, occasionally Levi Garret, wasn't crazy at all about Beechnut. Mostly it was Skoal Straight. That was years ago. Haven't chewed or dipped any tobacco for maybe 30-35 years.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I finally talked my grandmother into buying an Autocut head for her Stihl FS40, as not only was the factory head worn out; the stock heads are aggravating and time-consuming to load. You have to disassemble the stock heads; while the Autocut only requires that the string be stuck in each side (and enough to lock into the internal slots for string), and then the knob be turned until its all spooled in. I'd bought and installed one on my FS38 when I got it quite a long time ago; and won't use anything else.

I went down to the garage to install it, but had mistakenly left my good Moore Maker at the house. I used a Stihl-branded knife I'd bought there to cut away the clam pack (I mean, COME ON! saw chains are in boxes--so why not heads?), as I'd stuck it on my belt to try out this afternoon. Worked pretty good. It's definitely cheaply made, and does not have much of a solid feel.

KIMG1366.JPG

Return to “General Knife Discussion”