interesting knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Berryb

interesting knives

Post by Berryb »

I just got the fixed blade recently. From what I've read it's for killin poultry. Stick from the base of the jaw/ top of the throat up into the brain. The theory is that this causes instant death and for some reason they are therefore easier to pluck. My old catalogue shows 2 sizes; chicken and turkey. They are Dexters I think. This one is un-marked. The folder is a long line Camillus. I came across it in my pile while lookin' for POS candidates. I think it was ground down for the same purpose. Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
chicken knives.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: interesting knives

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Berryb wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:44 pm I just got the fixed blade recently. From what I've read it's for killin poultry. Stick from the base of the jaw/ top of the throat up into the brain. The theory is that this causes instant death and for some reason they are therefore easier to pluck. My old catalogue shows 2 sizes; chicken and turkey. They are Dexters I think. This one is un-marked. The folder is a long line Camillus. I came across it in my pile while lookin' for POS candidates. I think it was ground down for the same purpose. Thanks
Bruce
You are correct in the info that the fixed blade is for dressing poultry. I grew up on a farm where we raised many thousands of turkeys, not the white ones you usually see, but the dark colored ones that are known as bronze. When dad was butchering a turkey, we would catch it and tie a piece of twine around the legs and hang the bird up in the barn upside down with the head about 4 feet above the floor. Dad had a knife just like the one you pictured, and would open the beak and slide the knife into the mouth and up and then push it all the way in. When done correctly, (when dad did it) the bird then goes completely limp and the feathers almost fall out on their own. Incorrectly, (like when my older brother tried to do it) and the bird will flap the wings furiously for several minutes. After it stops, if you try to pluck the feathers, you will likely pull a lot of skin off with the feathers.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This is quite interesting. I have one of these old poultry knives but was told they are for poking out the 'pin feathers' ? or for cleaning out base of the big feathers that leave a black blob after being plucked. Did you also use if for this on your turkey farm ?
kj
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:08 pm This is quite interesting. I have one of these old poultry knives but was told they are for poking out the 'pin feathers' ? or for cleaning out base of the big feathers that leave a black blob after being plucked. Did you also use if for this on your turkey farm ?
kj
I don't recall ever seeing that knife used for any other purpose than I mentioned above.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The physiological aspect of inserting a knife into the throat of a turkey and causing the feathers to fall off is intriguing.

I cannot fathom the process on a cellular level, but I don’t doubt for a moment your recollection.

Fascinating.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

My mother did the same thing when she killed chickens. She would wrap their wings tight to their bodies with 3 or 4 wraps of bailing twine and hang them upside down for a few minutes. When they were good and calm she took a narrow blade partying knife and put it under their jaw and pushed the blade ip into the throat and into the brain. It was almost as it they went to sleep. They didn't flap, just hung quietly and bled out very quickly.
Mom said they picked much easier and tasted better and it was much easier to get the pin feathers out.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

orvet wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:53 am Mom said they picked much easier and tasted better and it was much easier to get the pin feathers out.
Or you could use the knife pictured on the bottom of these four.
Attachments
Drawer4 012.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:13 am The physiological aspect of inserting a knife into the throat of a turkey and causing the feathers to fall off is intriguing.

I cannot fathom the process on a cellular level, but I don’t doubt for a moment your recollection.

Fascinating.

Charlie
If I recall correctly, dad said that the knife tip was going up into the back of the skull thru the roof of the mouth and severing the connection of the brains control of the muscles. That would account for the lack of wing flapping and the bird going limp when done correctly.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”