Can a chipped scale be repaired?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
mikekoz

Can a chipped scale be repaired?

Post by mikekoz »

Here is an unusual question! I have an old knife I may buy from a co-worker. There is already a photo of it on another thread I opened that some of you are assisting me with, but attached is a closeup photo of my problem. As you can see, there is a chip by one of the knifes rivets or pins. Is there a way to fix this so the chip will not get larger over time? Replacing the scales would be out of the question since this knife is real old. I was thinking about putting a real small drop of clear gorilla glue in the chipped spot to kind of "fill it in".

What do you experts say?? :D
Attachments
ChippedKNife.jpg
Doc B

Re: Can a chipped scale be repaired?

Post by Doc B »

Yep...here's a good thread... Nice bone on that one, by the way! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=57370&hilit=acraglas+repair
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Doc is right, the Acraglas repair is the way to go, unless you can find a replacement scale off of an old parts knife. Finding one that matches can be nearly impossible though.

One favor: Show us some more pictures of the complete knife. We LOVE seeing old knives, and you never know if someone else has a scale that will fit it!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

The link shown is one I started to encourage others to try the procedure. I have fixed quite a few that were even worse than yours and they all turned out good. Color matching is the hardest part, but if it isn't exact, no biggie. And yes, I want to see the finished project too.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Acraglas is pretty expensive. I have used dollar store two-part epoxy. Mix it, let set until it thickens a little, then dab on the broken area. Came out OK, you have to look closely to notice the repair.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I also use 2 part epoxy for patch type repairs. Getting color right and jigging matched can be an involved process. Darker color bone is easier to match in my experience. The knife posted shouldn't be too much problem due to the small size. Larger patches can be more difficult.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

A chipped scale can be repaired. I sent this knife off to gclaxon and he did an excellent repair job on the 4 line Camillus sunfish/elephant toe. Not sure what he used but it came back perfect. ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_20190731_201159830.jpg
IMG_20190731_201229074.jpg
IMG_20191023_194306065.jpg
IMG_20191023_194333584.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

i use a 2 part thick epoxy paste called PC7 that can be found at any homecenter. Heres a repair using PC7... it's hard and stable - fine for a working knife - but if you're trying to mask it so the repair isn't visible - thats an entirely different thing that would involve detailed bone patchwork.
HVyd0PE.jpg
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

This is an excellent thread guys, that you for sharing your knowledge ::tu:: ::handshake:: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

I haven't tried this but if you can find another piece of similar bone you can grind up some to mix with the epoxy.
wlf

Post by wlf »

This was done with two part epoxy as described in the thread.
Attachments
C1F072CC-5E1D-4E7B-BE20-7621C094BD65.jpeg
90CC8262-FAB6-42D9-8DEA-8B739A7BF311.jpeg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

You can use instant coffee as a tint, in epoxy, for the browns...or charcoal, for blacks.
mikekoz

Post by mikekoz »

Reverand wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:04 am Doc is right, the Acraglas repair is the way to go, unless you can find a replacement scale off of an old parts knife. Finding one that matches can be nearly impossible though.

One favor: Show us some more pictures of the complete knife. We LOVE seeing old knives, and you never know if someone else has a scale that will fit it!
Attached is the whole knife in all of its glory! Great information here. My thoughts are I just want to fill in this small chip to keep it from getting larger to preserve the knife. I do have some two part epoxy. The Agraglas repair looks amazing. I never knew anything like that existed. The examples of the other repairs you all have done on breaks a lot larger than this knife I have, are also outstanding. I really appreciate all of this information!! ::tu:: ::ds::
Attachments
Scout1.jpg
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

That is a good knife. I love the glow from old pocket-worn bone! There is nothing else quite like it!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

joeradza wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:40 pm I haven't tried this but if you can find another piece of similar bone you can grind up some to mix with the epoxy.
I don't think there would be any advantage to that. Probably would not as strong as unadulterated AcraGlas or epoxy. If used to try to match color, AcraGlas dye pack color or a tiny bit of acrylic craft paint color would be better and easier to control. The Acra Glas kits come with brown and black dye packs to tint the mixture. A tiny amount on the end of a toothpick is all it takes.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
mikekoz

Post by mikekoz »

After I get this chip repaired, is it a good idea to clean these old knives? I normally use WD40 to clean out the gunk inside knives, and some sort of very mild polish to get rid of the patina. If I need to start another thread for this let me know, but it just popped into my head!! :)
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

WD40 is good for cleaning...but a little heavier oil, on the joints, provides better lubrication. Like 3 in one oil or mineral oil. The patina is protective and most people prefer leaving it on an old knife. Also...The way the chip broke out...I don't think you have to worry much, about it getting bigger. It's relatively common for that piece to break out, with the location of that pin. The "Search" feature is located in the "Quick Links"...there are threads on various ways that people like to "clean" old knives.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”