help needed with knife identification

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
redrocket

help needed with knife identification

Post by redrocket »

Hi, Everyone, im new to the forum and love collecting pocket knifes, so hopefully im in the right place) i picked up this knife at a antique fair, i paid £8 for it, gave it a little clean and oiled it, no makers mark anywhere, thinking, obvious things like utility knife, scout knife, military, etc, any info would be really appreciated, especially what the measuring tool is for. i dont think the casing is horn, but i could be mistaken
many thanks
Attachments
20200127_111355[1].jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: help needed with knife identification

Post by jerryd6818 »

Looks to me like someone's version of a Swiss Army all purpose type knife. This is not meant as a snide remark but that little ruler on that "all purpose" blade is just what it looks like. A ruler. It's the big parentheses "{" on the opposite side of the blade that has me stumped. Can't tell from the picture. Handles could be stag and then again, they could be staged bone or horn. ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Just a guess but it looks a bit like some of the Russian made knives I have seen.The handles look like faux stag.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have never seen a similar knife. You do not give closed length but unless it is a big knife, the measurements are in metric, centimeters/millimeters so therefore not made in Britain or USA. Likely Europe, Germany or if old, Nixdorf, in Austria now. I doubt Russian because the corkscrew looks heavy duty. Russian multiblades i have seen tend to be a bit on the flimsy side.
The 'combo' blade has a shell extractor (old shotguns), cap lifter, wire stripper, slot screw driver and ruler. I have not seen this blade previously.
kj
redrocket

Post by redrocket »

Many thanks for your info, i knew i was in the right place) you guys and gals know your stuff... i,ll keep on researching using the info you have said, it its probably not of value but i really like it, on ive not seen one like this before, it measures 9cm closed, someone suggested a lambs foot, but i dont know, anyway thanks again
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

A "lamb's foot" is usually a type of blade shape, not a name for a multipurpose knife. I wouldn't call the blade on your knife a lamb's foot, I would call that a "spear point". I agree with everyone else, that is a very interesting knife - nice find! I'm assuming from the price you paid that you are in the UK. It can be quite difficult to determine the maker of European knives. Is there a maker's mark on any of the blade tangs or possibly inside the well of the frame?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
redrocket

Post by redrocket »

hi Yes im in the uk, ive checked it over with a mag glass, cant find any makers sign unfortunately, and ive been trying to date it, but am stumped, the casing could be celluloid, as it has a kind of hollow sound to it when i tape it, thought if it was horn or something it might sound denser, would be great to find out exactly where its from, ive been googling like made but cant find a thing

Return to “General Knife Discussion”