Knife ID - Opinions Please - Maybe Case 6299??

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Knife ID - Opinions Please - Maybe Case 6299??

Post by herbva »

When I got this knife I thought it might be a Case pattern 99 "Railsplitter", but after I got all the gunk off it, cleaned it up thoroughly, and took a good close look at it I'm not sure who made it. It is the identical size of a 99 (see last photo), but the bolsters are both shorter than any of my 99's and the front bolster is considerably shorter. There are no tang stamps or even the slightest remaining evidence of any tang stamps. The handle material (jigged bone?) doesn't look like anything I remember seeing on a Case. But I think it might be original to the knife because each of the bolsters have "sucking out marks". Finally, there is no shield, and I don't see any shield pin holes on the inside of the mark side liner. Any and all opinions would be appreciated. :D
Attachments
DSCN9201.JPG
DSCN9202.JPG
DSCN9207.JPG
DSCN9208.JPG
DSCN9199.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knife ID - Opinions Please - Maybe Case 6299??

Post by knifeaholic »

Kabar - fairly common Kabar pattern, 1940's to 50's. Most likely second cut stag.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Steve nailed it while I was taking a pic of these. KA-BAR, these two are circa 1945-1949. They used this bone type until the early 1950s. Gotta click on photo to get it horizontal.

IMG_0494.jpg
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Thanks guys! Now that I know where to look I found it - Kabar pattern 1190. I think it must be too much of a coincidence that the frame on this one exactly matches the Case 99. I'm guessing that one company was copying another.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb

Return to “General Knife Discussion”