CUTCO hunting knife supposed to be serrated. Ooops

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

CUTCO hunting knife supposed to be serrated. Ooops

Post by TripleF »

I bought this knife at a pawn shop, knowing the edge needed some work.
Seems the person before me did away with most of the serrations, and I just finished it off......I had no idea
it was a serrated knife until I did an ebay search..... :shock: :shock:
Attachments
IMG_5745.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Old Hunter

Re: CUTCO hunting knife supposed to be serrated. Ooops

Post by Old Hunter »

Scott, it sure looks like a factory edge to me - GREAT job! In my mind you (and your predecessor) improved the hunting knife into usefulness. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm with the Colonel. I'm not a fan boy for serrations.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Serrations are great for cutting rope specifically wet rope, but on a hunting knife, especially for skinning? IMHO a football bat it's more useful!!!

I am not a big fan of Cutco knives to begin with; their handles are very uncomfortable in my hand and the serrated hunting knife to me says the person who designed it made it to appeal to the non-knife person buying a gift for someone else.

I know some people love them and that is great, but I am not a fan.

Scott, I like what you did to clean that blade up, you made it usable to me. That handle looks far more comfortable than their kitchen knives! Nice work! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I love a serrated knife (a sharp one, that is) for tomatoes. I have never had the occasion to cut rope much. And I collect some old 1960s Schrades with WondaEdge blades but I don't use them. My wife has a pair of CutCo shears which are very good. She also has some CutCo knives stashed away to give to grandchildren some day. I don't know much about them. They seem to draw some largish $ from sellers for some reason.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Fortunately Cutco is still in business, American made in Olean, N.Y. ::tu:: https://www.cutco.com/ They are one of the show sponsors every year of the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo, with a big booth there annually. I always stop by for a chat, nice folks!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

tongueriver wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:23 pm I love a serrated knife (a sharp one, that is) for tomatoes. I have never had the occasion to cut rope much. And I collect some old 1960s Schrades with WondaEdge blades but I don't use them. My wife has a pair of CutCo shears which are very good. She also has some CutCo knives stashed away to give to grandchildren some day. I don't know much about them. They seem to draw some largish $ from sellers for some reason.
Cal, you found the one thing that I do like about CUTCO knives; they have a great resale value! I love finding CUTCO knives at the flea market because they are not very common in this area most flea market sellers aren't asking a lot for them and they do resell very well.

I know your a hunter; can you imagine skinning a deer or envelope with a serrated edge? Wonder how many nicks there would be in the hide?
I have never tried it, but it looks like another recipe for disaster if you want to save the hide from the animal your skinning. As I said, I haven't tried it personally, so it may be possible, though I would definitely think the serrations a disadvantage especially for scanning. Maybe someone has tried it and can let us know? Now, I am kind of curious now, because I just don't know. ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

The 5719KH was the serrated model, and the 5719KM was the straight edge model.

Nevertheless, you did a very nice job on cleaning up that KH model. Looks like it was done at the factory....well, okay, the TripleF factory. :lol: ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I'm not really sure why the resale market is so strong for Cutco knives but they are. I purchased two model 5720's at yard sales for 50 cents apiece and while cleaning one of them found that the blade adjusts in length from six to nine inches by pulling up the lock tab on the side of the handle and pulling the blade to the proper length.There are even graduation marks on the side of the blade! I had one of these for several years and never knew it.
I also picked up two model 1769's;a white handle and a wood handle model for $10 each. But the best score of all was when I found a box full of Cutco knife rests in two sizes for 50 cents apiece.They are called,"Sherlocks" and are an image of a bassett hound smoking a pipe and wearing a Sherlock Holmes style hat. I could not believe what people were asking for them on e-Bay. I'll let you Google it and find out.
The Cutco 5720 sheath also splits on a pivot to act as a fish holder or hook extractor and there is an opening in the side that exposes part of the blade when sheathed to act as a line cutter.
Attachments
Cutco 1769 JI.jpg
CutcoPat.2390544$5 2018 001.jpg
Cutco5720AdjustableFilletKnife2 002.jpg
CutcoModel5720AdjustableLengthFilletKnife 001.jpg
CutcoModel5720AdjustableLengthFilletKnife 002.jpg
CutcoKnifeRests2016 001.jpg
Sherlocks 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”