Care of celluloid handle knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
milo

Care of celluloid handle knives

Post by milo »

If I store them in a dark closet and away from other knives will they be ok ?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Care of celluloid handle knives

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Your question is asked here often. I believe the general consensus is to keep them in open air and away from direct sunlight. Here’s one of several threads about celluloid and how to store it. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54367

You can find many more by doing a search for “celluloid”. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I don't think celluloid likes oil and I try to keep it from getting under celluloid scales.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I have heard that storing them in a freezer may delay the start of decomposition, but I'm not sure if there is any hard evidence proving that theory, or any other theories, other than celluloid is inherently unstable and unpredictable. I think the best care is to keep a close watch on them and to store them away from any other knives that you value. ::teary_eyes::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
eveled

Post by eveled »

Time bombs everyone of them waiting for their time to go off. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

Sad but true. I guess they have lasted beyond their expected life, so we shouldn’t complain.

If anyone has a genuine family heirloom knife with celluloid covers, I’d strongly consider having it redone.
jww

Post by jww »

How about the Case knives with the Corelon handles. How do they compare to celluloid? Will they stand the the test of time?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’ve never heard of any problems with Corelon stability. Of course, they haven’t been around a hundred plus years yet either.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

jww wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:01 am How about the Case knives with the Corelon handles. How do they compare to celluloid? Will they stand the the test of time?
Corelon does not outgas. It will last.
Most celluloid makes beautiful knife handles. You do need to keep an eye on it though.
But, not all celluloid will outgass. I have some very old knives with celluloid that haven't outgassed. I doubt they ever will.
Having said that, I still check them regularly.
I would never buy a Fightin Rooster with celluloid. They all seem to outgas. I have a knife friend that calls them "Fightin Rusters".
I'm not afraid of celluloid, I still purchase them. Though I have had to have some rehandled.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “General Knife Discussion”