New to the group, can anyone identify this knife for me?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Fishtrip

New to the group, can anyone identify this knife for me?

Post by Fishtrip »

Hi All,
My father in law gave me this knife many years ago.
Maker: J. Clark & Sons, Sheffield
Ive been searching J. Clark knives on line but cant find one that matches this particular knife.
Being a sailor it sure looks like a rigging knife to me.
Does anyone know which model this knife is?
Thanks, David
20200512_171141.jpg
20200512_171106.jpg
20200512_171046.jpg
jmh58

Re: New to the group, can anyone identify this knife for me?

Post by jmh58 »

Welcome.. ::handshake:: I cant help ya but that's a KOOL knife!! ::tu::
John
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hello Mr. David,
::welcome:: to AAPK! Glad to have you on board ::tu:: .
For your said knife, i'm not familiar with old Sheffield knives at all. I'm bound n' certain that someone, that has expertise in them, will come along and help fill you in.
What I can say, is that's it's an beautiful ole knife, and a great gift/memory from you pops ::tu:: . If anyone knows me, I just looove ole knives and bones, yours is a fine example ::tu:: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Is it possible that it says Clarke with an "e" on the end? That was a Sheffield cutlery that started in the mid-1800's and lasted to the mid 1900's. Your knife looks like an older Navy knife from around the end of the 19th century, maybe early 20th century. Very nice knife!

Eric
Fishtrip

Post by Fishtrip »

Hi Eric,
looking closer it is Clarke with an "e"
Yes, i think ive narrowed it down to WWII vintage but i could easily be wrong. Ive looked through hundreds of pictures but can't find this particular model.
Thanks for pointing out the proper spelling. My eyes aren't what they used to be!
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think it is older than WW II. Looks more like WW I or earlier.
kj
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Looks like you're getting good info, so I'll just add..
Welcome aboard!! Nice knife ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
ea42

Post by ea42 »

David I agree with KJ, definitely WWI or earlier. I'm thinking more likely late 1800's. Google "sheffield stag navy knife" and go to "images", you'll find a number of similar knives made by Sheffiled cutleries of that era.

Eric
eveled

Post by eveled »

Really nice old knife. ::tu::
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Tang Stamp:
Attachments
AAPK1.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
MT-Vessel

Post by MT-Vessel »

Knice knife... :D
Although the first knife in the thread below is not J. clarke & Son, it is too similar not to be of the same vintage.
MT-Vessel
viewtopic.php?t=9829
Empty vessels make the most noise...
Fishtrip

Post by Fishtrip »

Group,
First, thanks so much for the warm welcome.
On Eric's suggestion i did a google search with the key words he suggested and imediatly came to a picture of my knife but from a different maker. That led me to a bit of reasearch about Sheffield's importance to knife making.
Pardon if im the only one who didn't know this but craftsmen in Sheffield has been a leading maker of knives, swords, blades, etc since the 1400's.
What i cant find is a historical reference to J. Clarke & sons specifically. Does anyone know if the british army/navy commissioned the same design to be built by different makers? That actually seems to make sense to me.
Im a bit blown away by the age of the knife because i had always thought he must have gotten it when he served in the U.S. Army in Europe during WWII. Wrong assumption on my part that the knife was made during that same time.
Thanks again to all who replied!
Also, i have a number of old knives i inherited from my grandfather (I'm 65). My Grandfather was a rigger in the merchant marine on the last of the "steam assisted" sailing ships around the turn of the century (1900) and i inherited his knives as well. I intend to share some of them with all of you as time allows but first i have to figure out where i stashed them! ::teary_eyes::
David
Fishtrip

Post by Fishtrip »

On more thing....
Smiling-Knife, thank you for the link! I didn't notice the link until i had already sent my last post.
Great bit of historical info.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Fishtrip wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:28 pm Group,
First, thanks so much for the warm welcome.
On Eric's suggestion i did a google search with the key words he suggested and imediatly came to a picture of my knife but from a different maker. That led me to a bit of reasearch about Sheffield's importance to knife making.
Pardon if im the only one who didn't know this but craftsmen in Sheffield has been a leading maker of knives, swords, blades, etc since the 1400's.
What i cant find is a historical reference to J. Clarke & sons specifically. Does anyone know if the british army/navy commissioned the same design to be built by different makers? That actually seems to make sense to me.
Im a bit blown away by the age of the knife because i had always thought he must have gotten it when he served in the U.S. Army in Europe during WWII. Wrong assumption on my part that the knife was made during that same time.
Thanks again to all who replied!
Also, i have a number of old knives i inherited from my grandfather (I'm 65). My Grandfather was a rigger in the merchant marine on the last of the "steam assisted" sailing ships around the turn of the century (1900) and i inherited his knives as well. I intend to share some of them with all of you as time allows but first i have to figure out where i stashed them! ::teary_eyes::
David
Welcome and I am very anxious to see the knives, so get on the hunt for them! :lol: :lol:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “General Knife Discussion”