WHAT TIME PERIOD IS ANTIQUE ? VINTAGE ?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: WHAT TIME PERIOD IS ANTIQUE ? VINTAGE ?

Post by Papa Bones »

dlr110 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:26 am
Well I got an answer back from Sotheby's. I was told they didn't have time to respond directly to my question
and told me to check with the New York City Library, Encyclopedia Britannica, or another auction house.
So in other words I was told to get lost if I didn't want to place a bid on something.
Or all their experts were out with The Antique Road Show. ::shrug:: :lol:

All joking aside, I agree with you. Unless you have something they think you may want to auction (so they get their fees) they show little interest.

Back in 1978, I picked up a few items at an Estate sale. One Item was a Silver plated Tea or coffee Urn, the other was a decorative sword with a fancy engraved sheath and handle with a gold hilt and guard with some type of possibly Arabic or Farsi emblems on the blade and bottom of the hilt. This was circa B.I. (before internet) so finding information was hard. I took it to a museum near me, and also by the library to help find info. No luck. The museum told me I should contact Sotheby's, and send them info and photo's, which I did. In the meantime I had the guard tested which did test as gold clad. I later received a letter from Sotheby's asking if I wanted to list the items for sale, and if so, how to set up an appointment for inspection. No mention at all on what it might be worth, who made it, what the symbols were, history, nothing. So, yeah, unless they can make some money, they will show no interest.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: WHAT TIME PERIOD IS ANTIQUE ? VINTAGE ?

Post by btrwtr »

I don't have a problem with either word but do often have a problem with the context in which they are used. I call my knife store here on AAPK "Wayne's Vintage Knives" and I believe that is appropriate in that the majority of what I have in the store meets Merriam Webster's definition of vintage when is used as an adjective.

This is Merriam Webster's definition of Vintage when used as an adjective.

"vintage adjective
Definition of vintage (Entry 2 of 2)
1of wine : of, relating to, or produced in a particular vintage
2: of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or quality : CLASSIC
3a: dating from the past : OLD
b: OUTMODED, OLD-FASHIONED
4: of the best and most characteristic —used with a proper noun
vintage Shaw: a wise and winning comedy
— Time"

eBay divides their knives in categories. These are the categories for folding knives.

Vintage Folding Knives
Modern Folding Knives
Mixed Lots
[/b]

Currently there are 10,120 items listed on eBay in the collectible category of Knives, Swords & Blades that have the word RARE in the listing title. I reserve the word rare for describing how meat its cooked.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “General Knife Discussion”