C. Risner Indian Head stockman

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
billbeer

C. Risner Indian Head stockman

Post by billbeer »

I received a C. Risner (Solingen, Germany) Indian Head stockman as a gift. The scales are imitation ivory. I've seen references made to the scales being made out of cells;loid and wanted to find out for sure. I don't know the date of manufacture but it's my understanding that celluloid han't been used since the '50's. Can anyone confirm what the scales are made from?
Attachments
IMG_2335.JPG
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: C. Risner Indian Head stockman

Post by Reverand »

I can neither confirm not deny the composition of your handles. Most knife companies stopped using Celluloid in the early 1960's, but some German companies Have used it on their knife handles since then (perhaps some still do occasionally?)
I have purchased some newer knives that were already outgassing, but I intentionally bought them to re-handle.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

billbeer wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:53 pm I received a C. Risner (Solingen, Germany) Indian Head stockman as a gift. The scales are imitation ivory. I've seen references made to the scales being made out of cells;loid and wanted to find out for sure. I don't know the date of manufacture but it's my understanding that celluloid han't been used since the '50's. Can anyone confirm what the scales are made from?
I cannot help you on info, but they are still in business. You may be able to contact and find out.
https://www.traditionalpocketknives.com ... tlery.html

Hope this helps.

Smitty
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
billbeer

Post by billbeer »

Thanks fellers!!

Bill

Return to “General Knife Discussion”