Queen Experts need a little help on this!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
LDF Knives

Queen Experts need a little help on this!

Post by LDF Knives »

Hi I need to know what type of a knife here, I bought this 30 something years ago, as far as I can see It's a 1980, beautiful winter bottom Bone, nice deep grooves, is this a equal end jack? what model #? help me with a "little" history on this guy, I appreciate this ::tu::
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Queen Experts need a little help on this!

Post by edge213 »

I would call it a serpentine jack.
I'm not at home now to reference my books, so I can't help with pattern number.
If no one helps with that I will look later.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

LDF Knives wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:52 pm Hi I need to know what type of a knife here, I bought this 30 something years ago, as far as I can see It's a 1980, beautiful winter bottom Bone, nice deep grooves, is this a equal end jack? what model #? help me with a "little" history on this guy, I appreciate this ::tu::
Very Nice knife, beautiful handles. I am no Queen Expert, but to me the pattern looks like a two blade Premium Jack Knife similar to the Case Pattern #44.
The Tang Stamp looks like the one used from 1984 to present. One of the other guys here with more knowlege of Queen will probably chime in on this.

Again, nice knife.

Smitty
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Not checkin' in as a Queen expert, just a lover of Queens and I'm close to the reference material . :)
I feel pretty sure your knife is a #2 called a Serpentine Jack, just as edge213 said.
The tang stamp, according to the reference material was used from 1980 through the early 1990's. It also states "with the year included". It looks like something else is showing up under the bolster, maybe. ::shrug::
That knife should measure 3 1/4 inches when closed. I have a #2 on the desk, it is from the era of no stamp but with a blade etch and it has imitation Winterbottom handles. From the picture your appears to be real Winterbottom bone.
From the pictures it looks like it has been on the shelf most of its' life, mighty fine! (The bottom photo is a little deceiving in that it make the handles appear not to be finished flush with the bolster. I guess the word is not hafted properly. The shiny bolster is reflecting the red material.)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

treefarmer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:54 pm Not checkin' in as a Queen expert, just a lover of Queens and I'm close to the reference material . :)
I feel pretty sure your knife is a #2 called a Serpentine Jack, just as edge213 said.
The tang stamp, according to the reference material was used from 1980 through the early 1990's. It also states "with the year included". It looks like something else is showing up under the bolster, maybe. ::shrug::
That knife should measure 3 1/4 inches when closed. I have a #2 on the desk, it is from the era of no stamp but with a blade etch and it has imitation Winterbottom handles. From the picture your appears to be real Winterbottom bone.
From the pictures it looks like it has been on the shelf most of its' life, mighty fine! (The bottom photo is a little deceiving in that it make the handles appear not to be finished flush with the bolster. I guess the word is not hafted properly. The shiny bolster is reflecting the red material.)
Treefarmer
Hi there is a USA under the stamping on the tang :D
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

::hmm:: i would have thought it would have had an etch on the blade, maybe someone rubbed it off. I'm not a expert by any means but I agree with Farmer. If you go to the Queen forum you can find and look at a lot of ole catalogs. Beautiful knife by the by. ::tu:: ::handshake::
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

bighomer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:25 pm ::hmm:: i would have thought it would have had an etch on the blade, maybe someone rubbed it off. I'm not a expert by any means but I agree with Farmer. If you go to the Queen forum you can find and look at a lot of ole catalogs. Beautiful knife by the by. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Yeah I guess some has the etching and some don't??
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Well I guess some don't have the etching, but it will wear off over time, and I expect you could use something like blue magic,fitz or simichrome to rub them off. I have one that has absolutely nothing on it, I think it's a queen because of the fake winterbottom handles. ::shrug::
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

That tang stamp was used from 1984 till about 1990. As far as blade etching, Queen did not etch or stamp blades in the 60's, and after 1990 they put the year of production on the stamp (92 and etc.) Yours has real Winterbottom handles, not imitation. Not sure to the model however. Your etch has probably been worn off. Nice knife! ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Terry I believe that from 61 to 71 was no tang stamp etch only. Here's a couple that I believe are from that time period. One etch only and one with neither.
20200520_200137.jpg
Attachments
20200520_200328.jpg
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

BH, I stand corrected. I got most of my info from David krauss, book American PocketKnives. It's a little confusing to say the least. I guess they were cracking a few blades from the tang stamp on the 440C blades and quit to save money. too many ruined blades. You are right that some were blade etched and some not. Bottom line is , it is hard to pin down a date of production on Queen knives. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I believe that the posted knife was made in the early 1980's using original antique Winterbottom bone found in storage in the Queen factory. They did a few limited runs like that, some with original Rogers bone.
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

LDF Knives wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:52 pm Hi I need to know what type of a knife here, I bought this 30 something years ago, as far as I can see It's a 1980, beautiful winter bottom Bone, nice deep grooves, is this a equal end jack? what model #? help me with a "little" history on this guy, I appreciate this ::tu::
I know have this knife for sale on my LDF Store ::tu::
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

LDF Knives wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:52 pm
I now have this knife for sale in my LDF Store ::tu::
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

I now have this knife for sale in my LDF Store ::tu::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”