Comfort Knives!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Comfort Knives!

Post by Madmarco »

Being older, retired, and not in the best of health I don't get out of the house like I use to, so the need to carry a knife on a daily basis just isn't there. But, I still very much like to have a knife beside me on the table while I'm on my laptop or watching TV., as this brings me much pleasure to simply hold, admire, open letters, or cut strings with, so I pick 1 knife each day to take it's place on my table. I have heard members refer to these as "desk" or "office" knives, but I'm going to call them my "comfort" knives, and post a new picture of my choice for that day. If you like this idea, please feel free to post yours as well! It can be anything you like, folders, fixies, or any others, your choice! O.K., to start this off I chose this Rough Ryder 1860 all-metal linerlock folder. It's 9" oal/SS drop-point blade with top swedge and thumb-stud, satin-finish SS through-body, screw construction, adjustable pivot, and removeable pocket-clip. Being all-metal it weighs a respectable 4 oz.'s, and came sharpened. The only markings are a "Rough Ryder" front tang stamp, and the "RR1860" model number etched on the back blade. This was an inexpensive knife, but is built solid as the day is long! 8)
WIN_20201208_13_58_19_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201208_13_58_51_Pro.jpg
8)
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Comfort Knives!

Post by Old Folder »

Great subject Marco. ::nod::
I'm like a little child with his Teddy Bear. I always have at least one, many days two or more knives right at my side to admire and handle at any given moment.
Below are my two current "Confort Knives" for today.
IMG_0003 (3).JPG
I received the "CRKT M16-03BK" last week. Full description below:
http://knifenewsroom.com/2020/10/crkt-m16-03bk/

And the RR2082. Black and Blue Flipper. Closest thing to a switchblade I have ever seen. The beautiful handle is hypnotic, visually appears like 3D.
https://www.smkw.com/rough-ryder-clip-p ... ber-folder
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Cool knives, guys! And thread, Mark. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Good idea for a thread. This has been my desk knife for a few days, a GEC fixie. By the way, that is not my thumb.
G1.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Old Folder wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:42 pm Great subject Marco. ::nod::
I'm like a little child with his Teddy Bear. I always have at least one, many days two or more knives right at my side to admire and handle at any given moment.
Below are my two current "Confort Knives" for today.
IMG_0003 (3).JPG

I received the "CRKT M16-03BK" last week. Full description below:
http://knifenewsroom.com/2020/10/crkt-m16-03bk/

And the RR2082. Black and Blue Flipper. Closest thing to a switchblade I have ever seen. The beautiful handle is hypnotic, visually appears like 3D.
https://www.smkw.com/rough-ryder-clip-p ... ber-folder
Thanks Dan! ::handshake:: I was hoping some of you guys would like the idea. I can't fully explain the feeling I have when I have a knife close at hand, just kindda makes me feel secure, but not in the sense of feeling protected, but more of a totally contented feeling. Really nice pair you posted too! I've been looking at those Kit Carson style CRKT's for some time now, but due to the "flipper" I can't order any because I'd just lose them to Customs. I know what you mean about how fast some knives with "flippers" open. They have pretty much perfected the torsion assist and ball-bearing systems so that these knives really fly open with just a little nudge. Love the scales on the RR too! Thanks for posting! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:17 pm Cool knives, guys! And thread, Mark. ::tu::
Thanks John, glad you like it! ::handshake:: You have plenty to post as well! ::nod:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

tongueriver wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:24 am Good idea for a thread. This has been my desk knife for a few days, a GEC fixie. By the way, that is not my thumb.
G1.jpg
Beautiful knife T.G.! ::tu:: Just lovely stag! I was gonna say to be more careful with the hammer, lol, but you'll have to pass it on to it's owner! 8)
8)
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

I know exactly what you mean Madmarco! I even carry one in the car to hold while sitting in the awful Atlanta traffic. Just like you said, it has a calming effect. I tend to hold some of the older knives in my collection, and think about what they have been through in their "knife life".. but, I totally agree that they can have a "calming" effect on me.. Here are a couple that I use for this purpose..Just so I don't sound to sappy, I do cut things with them too! :lol:
IMG_0003 (11).JPG
IMG_0002 (5).JPG
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

This is a good thread subject. Out of all my knives at some point I always come back to my no name Barlow. Like most of us I have knives that cost from $10 to hundreds of dollars, but this Barlow is probably a $10 knife. When I carry it, sometimes I will just hold it in my hand and role it around in my palm or rub my thumb on the handle. I just love everything about a Barlow style knife and it feels good to have one on me.
20200519_103247.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If people can get “emotional support” comfort animals on airline flights, why not a comfort knife? ::hmm:: ::tu:: :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Very good question Ken!! ::clapping::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

An "emotional support knife" would sure make me feel more comfortable on a plane nowadays, Ken! :lol:
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Never thought of one as a,"comfort" knife but like many I do have a tendency to fondle one while doing nothing in particular.Although I love the feel of gnarly stag in my hands,on this day I am carrying the exact opposite: a CRKT Centofante Tribute folder. with Micarta handles and shadow bolsters with reinforcing washers on the pivot,it is light;slim,and surprisingly strong.Bought at a local gun shop(sadly no longer in business)that had a great selection of automatic knives that were a bit pricey for my wallet that day.
Attachments
CRKTCentofanteTribute 002.jpg
CRKTCentofanteTribute 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

toomanyknives wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:19 pm I know exactly what you mean Madmarco! I even carry one in the car to hold while sitting in the awful Atlanta traffic. Just like you said, it has a calming effect. I tend to hold some of the older knives in my collection, and think about what they have been through in their "knife life".. but, I totally agree that they can have a "calming" effect on me.. Here are a couple that I use for this purpose..Just so I don't sound to sappy, I do cut things with them too! :lol: IMG_0003 (11).JPGIMG_0002 (5).JPG
Glad you like it and can relate T.M.K.! ::tu:: And, you don't sound "sappy" in the least little bit, ::not_saying:: just relaying to us how they make you feel! Really like your description as "calming", it hits the nail on the head! Thanks! Mark! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:43 pm This is a good thread subject. Out of all my knives at some point I always come back to my no name Barlow. Like most of us I have knives that cost from $10 to hundreds of dollars, but this Barlow is probably a $10 knife. When I carry it, sometimes I will just hold it in my hand and role it around in my palm or rub my thumb on the handle. I just love everything about a Barlow style knife and it feels good to have one on me.
20200519_103247.jpg
Great knife David! ::tu:: I received my very first Barlow style knife just this morning, and I can certainly see it being a regular on my "Comfort List"! Such a simple but highly effective design, it's destined to be one of my favorites! Thanks for posting! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:46 pm If people can get “emotional support” comfort animals on airline flights, why not a comfort knife? ::hmm:: ::tu:: :lol:

Ken
Good point Ken! ::tu:: A scared animal that loses control could do as much damage as any knife! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

knife7knut wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:22 pm Never thought of one as a,"comfort" knife but like many I do have a tendency to fondle one while doing nothing in particular.Although I love the feel of gnarly stag in my hands,on this day I am carrying the exact opposite: a CRKT Centofante Tribute folder. with Micarta handles and shadow bolsters with reinforcing washers on the pivot,it is light;slim,and surprisingly strong.Bought at a local gun shop(sadly no longer in business)that had a great selection of automatic knives that were a bit pricey for my wallet that day.
Gorgeous folder K7K! With those smooth Micarta scales that one would be extremely soothing! I have a Koncept Knives folder on hold that I will receive soon, and it looks just like your CRKT, albeit with aluminum scales! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

This is one knife among many that bring me comfort. I can’t stop admiring the attention to detail, the fit and finish and the beauty of this knife. I bought this for myself about 3 years ago. I had seen this “pinched peanut” in A.G. Russell’s catalog for years and finally bought one. Made in Seki Japan. All stainless construction, except the handles which are mammoth ivory. The run up on this is just as tight as any knife I have ever seen. I don’t use it much, I mainly like to handle and look at it. Occasionally I will cut some dead skin off of my thumbs with it, it’s great for doing that, it’s razor sharp.
Attachments
F12BDD1F-6664-4441-840A-7127DEE703AB.jpeg
17436DBC-C7D9-4B15-B172-6343EED92C66.jpeg
D32B5DB9-D7E9-4FAD-B301-21237E8AE138.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well, today's pick couldn't have been easier than if I'd planned it for a week! It's my new SSk(Sharpnshinyknives)Moki 433 lockback! This is one spectacular knife! It's 7 1/4" oal/VG-10 clip-point blade with top-swedge and nail-nic, SS bolsters liners and pins, and blue jigged bone scales. The markings are Mark's SSk logo, along with "Exclusive Special Edition of 50" etched on the front blade, and "MOKI" stamped on the front tang. On the rear tang there is a "VG-10/JAPAN" stamp. The weight registers at a touch over 3 oz.'s, and came sharper than any knife I've ever owned. My copy has the absolute tightest run-up I have seen on a folding knife, one of the distinguishing traits of a Moki. I have a feeling that this one will be a regular on my table as today's comfort knife! Please excuse the very poor picture, it's the best my laptop can do! 8)
WIN_20201209_12_21_44_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:25 pm This is one knife among many that bring me comfort. I can’t stop admiring the attention to detail, the fit and finish and the beauty of this knife. I bought this for myself about 3 years ago. I had seen this “pinched peanut” in A.G. Russell’s catalog for years and finally bought one. Made in Seki Japan. All stainless construction, except the handles which are mammoth ivory. The run up on this is just as tight as any knife I have ever seen. I don’t use it much, I mainly like to handle and look at it. Occasionally I will cut some dead skin off of my thumbs with it, it’s great for doing that, it’s razor sharp.
Very nice Mark! ::tu:: I can see that one bringing much pleasure and comfort! 8)
8)
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:30 pm NS bolsters liners and pins
They have stainless bolsters, liners and pins, nice knife.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Montanaman wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:45 pm
Madmarco wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:30 pm NS bolsters liners and pins
They have stainless bolsters, liners and pins, nice knife.
Thanks for the correction M.M.! ::handshake:: I was sure Mark had told me NS. ::hmm:: I've since edited the post! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have this unmarked, unidentified folder with me today. It was purchased on Ebay, and came from and was built in Russia. It's an 8 1/2" oal linerlock/95x18 SS dagger blade with stud, SS bolsters and liners, brass pins, and "warm" Walnut scales. I claimed unmarked, but, it has an etch of the 95x18 steel on the front, as well as an encircled "AP" front tang etch. About 5 oz.'s, and dangerously sharp. This knife was lost in the mail for 3 months, during which time I was issued a full refund, but when it finally arrived I re-paid the seller, whom was overwhelmed by my honesty, but I didn't feel it was right to penalize him for something that was beyond his control. Besides being the right thing to do, the seller told me to contact him for big discounts prior to making anymore purchases, bonus! It's really comfortable in-hand, and I reach for and fondle it many times over the day, since the smooth Walnut handles are extremely soothing. This was not an overly cheap knife, costing me US$90. plus $18. shipping, but IMHO worth every dime! A very well built, solid knife! 8)
WIN_20201210_12_42_24_Pro.jpg
8)
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

My comfort knife is my pocket worn edition case 6207, I must admit I carry it at least 85% of the time , I love how it feels in the hand , it's a very tactile knife ::tu::
IMG_2020-12-2_11-43-18_123.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

zed6309 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:16 pm My comfort knife is my pocket worn edition case 6207, I must admit I carry it at least 85% of the time , I love how it feels in the hand , it's a very tactile knife ::tu:: IMG_2020-12-2_11-43-18_123.jpg
Beautiful knife Paul! ::tu:: I can certainly see why you give it so much pocket-time! ::nod:: 8)
8)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”