Comfort Knives!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Comfort Knives!

Post by Madmarco »

Samb wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:40 pm Like the drawer.
::rotflol:: ! 8)
8)
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:33 pm
Maddogfl wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:57 pm I will put a little different spin on this thread. While I appreciate the original intent, and I certainly have knives that I just like owning, and handling, there is a different kind of comfort. I live in the woods, with no other houses within sight or sound from me. I live in the second highest crime county in Florida. It is 12 miles and usually a half hour response time from a sheriff's deputy in an emergency! . Being retired and nearly 70 years old, I am not in physical condition to go man-on-man any more. I spend a lot of time at this desk. At my right hand is my "comfort" drawer. There is nothing "emotionally special" to me in there, they are just tools, but they do provide comfort.

The Camillus reproduction M2, sharpened to shave, not to work, is there because of something my Father used to tell me. He said, "Son, a knife never goes click when you want it to go bang."
Might I suggest ::handshake:: you post this in the "General Off Topic Discussion" thread, under "Guns and Gun Related Stuff" Maddog, there are 400 pages of posts and you will likely get better responses to your post. Or not, up to you. 8)
Thank you for the suggestion. I am new to the site and it will take some time for me to find my way around the site physically and culturally. I appreciate any help I can get.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Maddogfl wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:30 pm
Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:33 pm
Maddogfl wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:57 pm I will put a little different spin on this thread. While I appreciate the original intent, and I certainly have knives that I just like owning, and handling, there is a different kind of comfort. I live in the woods, with no other houses within sight or sound from me. I live in the second highest crime county in Florida. It is 12 miles and usually a half hour response time from a sheriff's deputy in an emergency! . Being retired and nearly 70 years old, I am not in physical condition to go man-on-man any more. I spend a lot of time at this desk. At my right hand is my "comfort" drawer. There is nothing "emotionally special" to me in there, they are just tools, but they do provide comfort.

The Camillus reproduction M2, sharpened to shave, not to work, is there because of something my Father used to tell me. He said, "Son, a knife never goes click when you want it to go bang."
Might I suggest ::handshake:: you post this in the "General Off Topic Discussion" thread, under "Guns and Gun Related Stuff" Maddog, there are 400 pages of posts and you will likely get better responses to your post. Or not, up to you. 8)
Thank you for the suggestion. I am new to the site and it will take some time for me to find my way around the site physically and culturally. I appreciate any help I can get.
My pleasure bud! ::handshake:: There are lots of guys here including me, that will bend over backwards to try and help anyone who is new to the site, or, even anyone who's been here for awhile, all ya gotta do is ask, either in your posts or by P.M.("Private Message", beside your user name where you log-in) Almost forgot, nice pistol! Mark! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I got 4 nice folders in today's mail, but I'll post em' one-at-a-time so I have something to post over the weekend! First up is a 8" oal Lerch designed CRKT frame-lock "Flat Out"/SS spear-point blade riding on bronze phosphor washers and dual-studs, all SS body fastened with screws, adjustable pivot, and pocket-clip. It has an approximate weight of 5 oz.'s, and came shaving sharp. Excellent walk n' talk, and equally nice fit n' finish. This folder has the CRKT patented "Outburst" assisted opening system, and WOW, does it work! With the slightest nudge on the stud the A/O kicks in and propels the blade open lightning fast. I've only experienced a faster opening with an auto. I much prefer linerlock to frame-lock, cuz I feel the F/L detracts from the look of the knife, but it's O.K. I was first attracted to the clean smooth profile on this knife, and in person it didn't disappoint! It'll provide me plenty of comfort today! 8)
WIN_20210916_14_27_53_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210916_12_11_25_Pro.jpg
8)
Samb

Post by Samb »

Sweet!
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:33 pm I got 4 nice folders in today's mail, but I'll post em' one-at-a-time so I have something to post over the weekend! First up is a 8" oal Lerch designed CRKT frame-lock "Flat Out"/SS needle/drop point blade with dual-studs, all SS body fastened with screws, adjustable pivot, and pocket-clip. It has an approximate weight of 5 oz.'s, and came shaving sharp. Excellent walk n' talk, and equally nice fit n' finish. This folder has the CRKT patented "Outburst" assisted opening system, and WOW, does it work! With the slightest nudge on the stud the A/O kicks in and propels the blade open lightning fast. I've only experienced a faster opening with an auto. I much prefer linerlock to frame-lock, cuz I feel the F/L detracts from the look of the knife, but it's O.K. I was first attracted to the clean smooth profile on this knife, and in person it didn't disappoint! It'll provide me plenty of comfort today! 8) WIN_20210916_14_27_53_Pro.jpgWIN_20210916_12_11_25_Pro.jpg
Another cool one, Marco. I'm with you on the liner lock as opposed to frame lock.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks a bunch Sam and Kerry! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:33 pm I got 4 nice folders in today's mail, but I'll post em' one-at-a-time so I have something to post over the weekend! First up is a 8" oal Lerch designed CRKT frame-lock "Flat Out"/SS needle/drop point blade with dual-studs, all SS body fastened with screws, adjustable pivot, and pocket-clip. It has an approximate weight of 5 oz.'s, and came shaving sharp. Excellent walk n' talk, and equally nice fit n' finish. This folder has the CRKT patented "Outburst" assisted opening system, and WOW, does it work! With the slightest nudge on the stud the A/O kicks in and propels the blade open lightning fast. I've only experienced a faster opening with an auto. I much prefer linerlock to frame-lock, cuz I feel the F/L detracts from the look of the knife, but it's O.K. I was first attracted to the clean smooth profile on this knife, and in person it didn't disappoint! It'll provide me plenty of comfort today! 8) WIN_20210916_14_27_53_Pro.jpgWIN_20210916_12_11_25_Pro.jpg
Very nice Marc. The flat Out is a very sleek design. Yep, I've kinda been putting the Chicken Eye on them myself. I know CRKT calls it is a spear point blade, but to me it looks like a slim Wharncliffe blade, just my opinion. They say the Outburst assist is slick and fast.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:31 am
Very nice Marc. The flat Out is a very sleek design. Yep, I've kinda been putting the Chicken Eye on them myself. I know CRKT calls it is a spear point blade, but to me it looks like a slim Wharncliffe blade, just my opinion. They say the Outburst assist is slick and fast.
Thanks Smitty! ::handshake:: If you've been eyeing this knife I would like to suggest you get yourself one, cuz between the sleek design, SLIM WHARNCLIFFE BLADE, and Outburst opening system I can pretty much guarantee you won't be disappointed. Thanks also for the correction about the blade style, I was really stumped about what to call it, and I've since edited the OP. And I totally agree with your opinion that it looks like a Wharnie blade. When you open this knife for the 1st time you'll barely believe how fast it deploys. I figured all A/O's were the same, but let me tell you, this knife certainly dispels that theory. I forgot to mention in my OP that the blade rides on bronze phosphor washers, which I'm sure helps with the deployment, and I've corrected that too. I almost ordered it from Aliexpress in China for much less than I paid here in Canada, but I'm really glad I bit the bullet and paid-up for it so as to insure I got the original. A totally cool knife! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is the 2nd of 4 I received recently! It's a Cold Steel 13 1/2" oal "Luzon" linerlock/an 8Cr13MoV blade with pull/fuller dual-studs and flippers, ZY-EX covers and integrated pocket-clip, liners made of a material I'm not familiar with,(SS maybe?)adjustable pivot, linerlock safety, and lanyard hole. I mistakenly posted yesterday in a different thread that the weight was about 8 oz.'s when in actuality it weighs 9.3 oz.'s, and arrived C/S sharp. This is one of very few knives that I left the pocket-clip on, because it's so well designed that at first I didn't even see it. The linerlock safety feature is pretty cool in that, when it's deployed you can't move the linerlock for closing until you slide it to the open position. I watched C/S vids of this knife in action, and once in-hand I certainly understood how it could take the punishment that C/S put it through. I guess it's classified as a "pocket knife", but you can dream on about that because I don't think they make pockets big enough to handle this knife, it's much better suited to be hung off your belt! See ya tomorrow with another C/S monster! 8)
WIN_20210916_14_18_21_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210916_12_12_24_Pro.jpg
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:52 pm This is the 2nd of 4 I received recently! It's a Cold Steel 13 1/2" oal "Luzon" linerlock/an 8Cr13MoV blade with pull/fuller dual-studs and flippers, ZY-EX covers and integrated pocket-clip, liners made of a material I'm not familiar with,(SS maybe?)adjustable pivot, linerlock safety, and lanyard hole. I mistakenly posted yesterday in a different thread that the weight was about 8 oz.'s when in actuality it weighs 9.3 oz.'s, and arrived C/S sharp. This is one of very few knives that I left the pocket-clip on, because it's so well designed that at first I didn't even see it. The linerlock safety feature is pretty cool in that, when it's deployed you can't move the linerlock for closing until you slide it to the open position. I watched C/S vids of this knife in action, and once in-hand I certainly understood how it could take the punishment that C/S put it through. I guess it's classified as a "pocket knife", but you can dream on about that because I don't think they make pockets big enough to handle this knife, it's much better suited to be hung off your belt! See ya tomorrow with another C/S monster! 8)WIN_20210916_14_18_21_Pro.jpgWIN_20210916_12_12_24_Pro.jpg
Heck of a knife Marc. Looks good, just wish they had down sized the flipper's a wee bit, but I guess they were making them proportionate to the size of the knife. As we say down here in the south, That's either a Big 'OL Goodern, or a Good 'Ol Big'un!! ::tu::

Smitty
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Sweet, sweet, sweet. Love that Cold Steel. I can’t imagine ever needing a knife that big but if I ever did that would be one at the top of the list.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:38 am
Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:52 pm This is the 2nd of 4 I received recently! It's a Cold Steel 13 1/2" oal "Luzon" linerlock/an 8Cr13MoV blade with pull/fuller dual-studs and flippers, ZY-EX covers and integrated pocket-clip, liners made of a material I'm not familiar with,(SS maybe?)adjustable pivot, linerlock safety, and lanyard hole. I mistakenly posted yesterday in a different thread that the weight was about 8 oz.'s when in actuality it weighs 9.3 oz.'s, and arrived C/S sharp. This is one of very few knives that I left the pocket-clip on, because it's so well designed that at first I didn't even see it. The linerlock safety feature is pretty cool in that, when it's deployed you can't move the linerlock for closing until you slide it to the open position. I watched C/S vids of this knife in action, and once in-hand I certainly understood how it could take the punishment that C/S put it through. I guess it's classified as a "pocket knife", but you can dream on about that because I don't think they make pockets big enough to handle this knife, it's much better suited to be hung off your belt! See ya tomorrow with another C/S monster! 8)WIN_20210916_14_18_21_Pro.jpgWIN_20210916_12_12_24_Pro.jpg
Heck of a knife Marc. Looks good, just wish they had down sized the flipper's a wee bit, but I guess they were making them proportionate to the size of the knife. As we say down here in the south, That's either a Big 'OL Goodern, or a Good 'Ol Big'un!! ::tu::
Thank you Smitty! When I got the knife in my hand the 1st thing I thought was, "everything about this knife is too big", including the flippers, but as it turns out they work very well deploying the blade whereas my other large knives with studs are nearly impossible to open with only your thumb. Maybe Andre the Giant with his huge mitts could do it! Winter is almost here along with -40 degree temperatures, so I sure wish I was down south with you right now! 8)
8)
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Marco, I can't help but thinking when I see your pictures, "does Marco have really small hands"? Just kidding buddy! ::ds::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:22 am Sweet, sweet, sweet. Love that Cold Steel. I can’t imagine ever needing a knife that big but if I ever did that would be one at the top of the list.
Thanks buddy! ::handshake:: I know you've seen the C/S videos about their big knives, and I'm thinking they'd work well chopping down small trees, but other than that I can't see a use. I have 2 more monsters to post over the next 2 days, so if you log-in have a look. Now get back in bed and look after yourself, your significant other, and your dogs! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

toomanyknives wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:57 am Marco, I can't help but thinking when I see your pictures, "does Marco have really small hands"? Just kidding buddy! ::ds::
Kerry you kill me, you are such a joker! I guess you're suggesting I'm compensating for small hands with big knives, but I can assure you I'm not, I have medium size hands, nor does anything else on my body need compensation! "Nudge, nudge, hint, hint, know what I mean, know what I mean, say no more, say no more"! Monty Python's Flying Circus in case you didn't get it! LOL! 8)
8)
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:09 am
toomanyknives wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:57 am Marco, I can't help but thinking when I see your pictures, "does Marco have really small hands"? Just kidding buddy! ::ds::
Kerry you kill me, you are such a joker! I guess you're suggesting I'm compensating for small hands with big knives, but I can assure you I'm not, I have medium size hands, nor does anything else on my body need compensation! "Nudge, nudge, hint, hint, know what I mean, know what I mean, say no more, say no more"! Monty Python's Flying Circus in case you didn't get it! LOL! 8)
So, you're into photography, eh? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.. I seen Holy Grail more than any other movie. In fact Corner Gas is one of my favorite shows. Wish it was still on... Oh, and I love SPAM!
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

toomanyknives wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:55 am
So, you're into photography, eh? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.. I seen Holy Grail more than any other movie. In fact Corner Gas is one of my favorite shows. Wish it was still on... Oh, and I love SPAM!
♫Lovely Spam, Wonderful Spam, SPAAAAAMMMM♫ ::woot:: Yep, I am also a fan of Monty Python!!"

Smitty
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:00 am
♫Lovely Spam, Wonderful Spam, SPAAAAAMMMM♫ ::woot:: Yep, I am also a fan of Monty Python!!"
Silly Vikings!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:09 am
That's right, I got the "wink, wink" part mixed up ::facepalm:: with "hint, hint", I haven't seen the shows in awhile! When you talk of Spam are you referring to that so-called meat that comes in a can and is covered in some sort of disgusting jelly? ::sot:: We also had Clic up here, and it was equally disgusting. ::sot:: My Mom use to MAKE me and my brother eat that stuff, and between being pissed :x that we were forced to eat it along with it's disgusting constitution we developed a deep hated for the stuff. :evil: The only way we could even get it to go down was if it was nearly burnt to a crisp in the frying pan. Don't get me wrong, to each his own, so if you weren't kidding and really do love the stuff my hat's off to you my friend, ::handshake:: I'm simply relaying my experiences with it! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I recognize that one Smitty! ::tu:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

toomanyknives wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:02 pm
Silly Vikings!
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is the 3rd in a 4-pack of folders I recently received, and it's another Cold Steel giant! It's their 13 1/8" oal "Counter Point XL" mid-lockback/an AUS 10A bayonet blade with dual-studs, ZY-EX 2-piece body with through holes, no liners, screw construction, adjustable pivot, and pocket-clip. Weighs in at about 8 oz.'s, and came so sharp that when the blade dropped on my knuckle when I needed 2 hands to press the mid-lock to close it, it produced a nasty cut, so much so that after 3 days it seems to have finally stopped bleeding. It likely needs stitches, but that's not gonna happen. My own fault, ::facepalm:: not the knife's, I really should be more careful. This is another C/S model that's next to impossible to open using just the stud, unless of course one was born with very large hands. The mid-lock came extremely tight, hence needing 2 thumbs to press it down and producing said cut, and even after a drop of Quick Release it is still quite tight. Fortunately I've learned how to use it properly with out injuring myself. I have one last big C/S folder that I'll post tomorrow! 8)
WIN_20210918_12_14_39_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210918_12_13_37_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210918_11_58_45_Pro.jpg
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 pm This is the 3rd in a 4-pack of folders I recently received, and it's another Cold Steel giant! It's their 13 1/8" oal "Counter Point XL" mid-lockback/an AUS 10A bayonet blade with dual-studs, ZY-EX 2-piece body with through holes, no liners, screw construction, adjustable pivot, and pocket-clip. Weighs in at about 8 oz.'s, and came so sharp that when the blade dropped on my knuckle when I needed 2 hands to press the mid-lock to close it, it produced a nasty cut, so much so that after 3 days it seems to have finally stopped bleeding. It likely needs stitches, but that's not gonna happen. My own fault, ::facepalm:: not the knife's, I really should be more careful. This is another C/S model that's next to impossible to open using just the stud, unless of course one was born with very large hands. The mid-lock came extremely tight, hence needing 2 thumbs to press it down and producing said cut, and even after a drop of Quick Release it is still quite tight. Fortunately I've learned how to use it properly with out injuring myself. I have one last big C/S folder that I'll post tomorrow! 8)WIN_20210918_12_14_39_Pro.jpgWIN_20210918_12_13_37_Pro.jpgWIN_20210918_11_58_45_Pro.jpg
Another nice one Marc. Yep.....you got to watch the critters that will bite. You may try opening the blade, oil the joint and back/lock spring, then with a cloth wrapped around the blade, work the lock and the blade back and forth several times. I bought a Buck 110 several years ago that had a tight spine lock and blade. Did that procedure about 40 or 50 times. Flush with some WD-40, then re-oiled the joints and spine. It did loosen up. Not sure if it was just a very tight tolerance or if there may have been some residue inside left from the manufacturing process.

Smitty
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:49 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 pm This is the 3rd in a 4-pack of folders I recently received, and it's another Cold Steel giant! It's their 13 1/8" oal "Counter Point XL" mid-lockback/an AUS 10A bayonet blade with dual-studs, ZY-EX 2-piece body with through holes, no liners, screw construction, adjustable pivot, and pocket-clip. Weighs in at about 8 oz.'s, and came so sharp that when the blade dropped on my knuckle when I needed 2 hands to press the mid-lock to close it, it produced a nasty cut, so much so that after 3 days it seems to have finally stopped bleeding. It likely needs stitches, but that's not gonna happen. My own fault, ::facepalm:: not the knife's, I really should be more careful. This is another C/S model that's next to impossible to open using just the stud, unless of course one was born with very large hands. The mid-lock came extremely tight, hence needing 2 thumbs to press it down and producing said cut, and even after a drop of Quick Release it is still quite tight. Fortunately I've learned how to use it properly with out injuring myself. I have one last big C/S folder that I'll post tomorrow! 8)WIN_20210918_12_14_39_Pro.jpgWIN_20210918_12_13_37_Pro.jpgWIN_20210918_11_58_45_Pro.jpg
Another nice one Marc. Yep.....you got to watch the critters that will bite. You may try opening the blade, oil the joint and back/lock spring, then with a cloth wrapped around the blade, work the lock and the blade back and forth several times. I bought a Buck 110 several years ago that had a tight spine lock and blade. Did that procedure about 40 or 50 times. Flush with some WD-40, then re-oiled the joints and spine. It did loosen up. Not sure if it was just a very tight tolerance or if there may have been some residue inside left from the manufacturing process.
Yah, thanks Smitty. I applied Q.R. oil and that loosened it considerably, but I believe the knife was designed with "a very tight tolerance" due to the thickness of the spine lock and big heavy blade, and I'm almost certain 1-handed opening/closing wasn't a big priority when designing it. Thanks for the suggestion! ::handshake:: 8)
8)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”