Comfort Knives!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Comfort Knives!

Post by Madmarco »

CluelessNick wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:06 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:47 pm
CluelessNick wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:35 pm

Three more great looking knives Mark. I especially like that Al Mar. Now you have to save up and get some more cool knives to show us. I've got this one coming in the mail. Not a high end knife but the blade configuration and locking mechanism interests me.
Thanks Nick! ::handshake:: The Al Mar is a new favorite of mine, even though I've only had it for a couple of days. I have a few more models coming over the next little while, and I'll be sure to show them as they arrive. I'm fascinated with the knife you're waiting for. Although I've never cared for knives with more than 1 blade, I really like the looks of the sheepsfoot/wharncliff (?) on your knife. I believe the locking system on that knife is called "humpback", at least that's how it's referred to on stilettos. 8)
Yeah Mark that Al Mar is a beautiful knife. As for that lockback the only other one I have is that yellow handled Colonial. And I really like the way it works. Hopefully this one is not just a piece of junk. I think it was made for Parker in Seki, Japan.
Since your knife was built by Parker in Seki, Japan Nick, it should be a fairly good knife, as many very high quality knives are coming out of that location. ::tu:: Please gives us a review when it arrives. BTW, really like the new avatar! 8)
8)
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:00 pm This is one of the knives I received recently, and I've admired this knife for a long time, but their high prices have kept me from pulling the trigger. I found this used copy in perfect condition for a very reasonable price, so I jumped on it. It's an Al Mar "Quicksilver"(previously called "Silver Eagle")Secret Service stiletto, and is 7 7/8" oal/SS modified spear-point blade with stud and top swedge, all SS 2-piece body with cutouts, single copper liner, tip protector latch, and lanyard hole. Nice n' heavy at about 5 oz.'s, and arrived razor-sharp. It displays the Al Mar logo and wording etched on the front blade, as well as the copy number 15/200 etched on the back blade. There is a latch on the butt-end that folds open/closed to prevent unwanted openings in one's pocket, as seen in the 2nd pic, and, this is the only one I've seen that doesn't, and never had a bail. This is a high quality folder that will take it's place alongside my other "better" knives! 8)WIN_20210325_12_42_16_Pro.jpgWIN_2021n that doesn't have a bail.0325_19_16_08_Pro.jpg
Three more great looking knives Mark. I especially like that Al Mar. Now you have to save up and get some more cool knives to show us. I've got this one coming in the mail. Not a high end knife but the blade configuration and locking mechanism interests me.
Nice looking stuff here all
Nick ,that one with locking mechanism looks interesting!! Let us know how you like it,never held one of those? Like what I see ::tu::
JP
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:00 pm This is one of the knives I received recently, and I've admired this knife for a long time, but their high prices have kept me from pulling the trigger. I found this used copy in perfect condition for a very reasonable price, so I jumped on it. It's an Al Mar "Quicksilver"(previously called "Silver Eagle")Secret Service stiletto, and is 7 7/8" oal/SS modified spear-point blade with stud and top swedge, all SS 2-piece body with cutouts, single copper liner, tip protector latch, and lanyard hole. Nice n' heavy at about 5 oz.'s, and arrived razor-sharp. It displays the Al Mar logo and wording etched on the front blade, as well as the copy number 15/200 etched on the back blade. There is a latch on the butt-end that folds open/closed to prevent unwanted openings in one's pocket, as seen in the 2nd pic, and, this is the only one I've seen that doesn't, and never had a bail. This is a high quality folder that will take it's place alongside my other "better" knives! 8)WIN_20210325_12_42_16_Pro.jpgWIN_2021n that doesn't have a bail.0325_19_16_08_Pro.jpg
That's way cool, Nick. I've never seen anything like that. Looks like a really well made knife.. ::tu::
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

toomanyknives wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:10 am
That's way cool, Nick. I've never seen anything like that. Looks like a really well made knife.. ::tu::
Thanks Kerry, hopefully it will be a good one.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

CluelessNick wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:12 am

Hey Nick, that's a great lookin sowbelly sir!

I wouldn't worry too much mate; from my experience with Taylor, they are/were some of the best production cutlery you could get outa Japan, back in the day.
But I have limited experience, so we shall all see, if their reputation holds up on this 'un.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

WillyCamaro wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:24 am
CluelessNick wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:12 am

Hey Nick, that's a great lookin sowbelly sir!

I wouldn't worry too much mate; from my experience with Taylor, they are/were some of the best production cutlery you could get outa Japan, back in the day.
But I have limited experience, so we shall all see, if their reputation holds up on this 'un.
::tu::
Thanks, I am really ignorant when it comes to knives made in Japan. When ever I see Frost, Taylor or Parker I always seem to associate them with flea market knives back in the 80's and 90's. I probably need to educate myself about some of these brands.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

CluelessNick, I'd like to share my observations/experience regarding the knives of Mr. Parker. He was deeply involved in the knife industry. At one time he owned Case. He had knives made in several countries. In Japan he set up a factory with the young Tak Fukuta who studied with Bob Loveless and became highly regarded for his custom knives. He had knives made for differing price points, from low to high. Naturally there are varying degrees of quality.

If one chooses carefully one can find Parker Japanese made knives that are excellent in both materials and workmanship. Here is one example:
P1040068 (2).JPG
Certain business controversies have apparently caused some ill-feelings towards Parker on the part of some. I have no way to evaluate the worth or justice of these views. But I feel they may have sometimes cast a cloud over his productions which is not merited.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nick! Just in case you have any doubts regarding the information Garry(Quick Steel)just posted, I can assure you he is a very knowledgeable collector and enthusiast who really knows his knives, not to mention a heck of a nice guy! 8)
8)
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:02 pm CluelessNick, I'd like to share my observations/experience regarding the knives of Mr. Parker. He was deeply involved in the knife industry. At one time he owned Case. He had knives made in several countries. In Japan he set up a factory with the young Tak Fukuta who studied with Bob Loveless and became highly regarded for his custom knives. He had knives made for differing price points, from low to high. Naturally there are varying degrees of quality.

If one chooses carefully one can find Parker Japanese made knives that are excellent in both materials and workmanship. Here is one example:

P1040068 (2).JPG

Certain business controversies have apparently caused some ill-feelings towards Parker on the part of some. I have no way to evaluate the worth or justice of these views. But I feel they may have sometimes cast a cloud over his productions which is not merited.
Thanks for the info. As you stated, looking on Ebay it seems there are tons of Parker knives at varying price points. I wonder if you would know of any resources where I could learn a little more about the knives that he had made? Or is it just hit or miss? Not trying to just be lazy. I'll search around on the net for info on Parker and his doings also. thanks--Nick
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:26 pm Nick! Just in case you have any doubts regarding the information Garry(Quick Steel)just posted, I can assure you he is a very knowledgeable collector and enthusiast who really knows his knives, not to mention a heck of a nice guy! 8)
Thanks Mark, at this point I can use all the help I can get with this knife collecting thing.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Don't mention it Nick, ::handshake:: you're doing great! Fitting right in, and learning somethin' new everyday! Asking for information isn't being lazy at all, some guys are a treasure trove of solid, first-hand info, and I'm sure many of those guys asked questions themselves at some point. I personally really enjoy your posts, you show knives I haven't seen before, and it's always exciting to see something new. Please keep it up! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Gary purty much sums up Jim Parker, and his business dealings.
You can like the knives, not the guy for what he did.
I'll leave it at that.

But the Parker I am talking of, is a different dude.

No, wait.
Just dawned on me.

I'm thinking of my Taylor Seto tanto, not parker...

Dang brain fog!
::dang::

Sorry bout that mates, should've double-check before opening my yap.
:roll: ::facepalm::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'd say you had a "senior's moment" Willy, ::facepalm:: but that wouldn't apply to you! LOL! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Oh no Markie, definitely not that!

:mrgreen:
Winston Churchill

toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

CluelessNick wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:15 pm
Madmarco wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:26 pm Nick! Just in case you have any doubts regarding the information Garry(Quick Steel)just posted, I can assure you he is a very knowledgeable collector and enthusiast who really knows his knives, not to mention a heck of a nice guy! 8)
Thanks Mark, at this point I can use all the help I can get with this knife collecting thing.
Best advice I ever got on collecting, Nick. Collect what YOU like.. I collect lots of things. I'm an organized hoarder! But, I only collect things I like, not things that I "think" I can make money on. That way if the economy tanks, I have lots of things I like, and don't look at them thinking I wasted my money..
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, as you know, we have many members whose knowledge of knives is broad and deep like the Mississippi. My knowledge is like a few scattered puddles. I am not being modest. My knowledge is confined to some bits and pieces I have picked up here and there. The fun of the hobby is that one can learn something almost every day. I think one becomes knowledgeable by being focused and systematic. Exactly what you are doing.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

toomanyknives wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:16 am
Best advice I ever got on collecting, Nick. Collect what YOU like.. I collect lots of things. I'm an organized hoarder! But, I only collect thing I like, not things that I "think" I can make money on. That way if the economy tanks, I have lots of things I like, and don't look at them thinking I wasted my money..
Thanks for the good advice . Not too concerned about the value of my collection but the Parker knives seem to range from flea market junk to some pretty nice bone and stag handle knives. Hard to sort them out over the internet. I want to like the knives I buy.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:34 am Marco, as you know, we have many members whose knowledge of knives is broad and deep like the Mississippi. My knowledge is like a few scattered puddles. I am not being modest. My knowledge is confined to some bits and pieces I have picked up here and there. The fun of the hobby is that one can learn something almost every day. I think one becomes knowledgeable by being focused and systematic. Exactly what you are doing.
Well stated Garry, and thanks for the compliment, but I know for myself, you'd be one of the 1st guys I'd come to with a question regarding a knife, and you can be as un-modest(is that a word?)as you like, but nothing can change the fact that you're a heck of a nice guy! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Best advice I ever got on collecting, Nick. Collect what YOU like.. I collect lots of things. I'm an organized hoarder! But, I only collect thing I like, not things that I "think" I can make money on. That way if the economy tanks, I have lots of things I like, and don't look at them thinking I wasted my money..
Great advise Kerry! And I like the way you think, much like I do. The only knives I own are models that I like, and not one of them was acquired with the thought of value or re-sale, although, if I ever needed money just the sheer volume of knives I have would add up to a good piece of change, but I highly doubt that scenario will ever arise, I love my knives too much! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

CluelessNick wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:06 pm

Thanks for the good advice . Not too concerned about the value of my collection but the Parker knives seem to range from flea market junk to some pretty nice bone and stag handle knives. Hard to sort them out over the internet. I want to like the knives I buy.
There ya go Nick, ask and you shall receive! I completely agree with Kerry that you get the models YOU like, it matters little what others think of your choices. BTW, there's a pretty nice white bone handled Parker scrolling across the top of the page today, asking price US$65., I checked out the pictures, and it's quite a nice folder in great condition. Look at that, now you've got folks bird-dogging knives for you! What a great forum! 8)
8)
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:24 pm
CluelessNick wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:06 pm

There ya go Nick, ask and you shall receive! I completely agree with Kerry that you get the models YOU like, it matters little what others think of your choices. BTW, there's a pretty nice white bone handled Parker scrolling across the top of the page today, asking price US$65., I checked out the pictures, and it's quite a nice folder in great condition. Look at that, now you've got folks bird-dogging knives for you! What a great forum! 8)
Yeah Mark that's what I need. Other people helping me spend more money on knives ! just kidding, I appreciate you pointing out that knife .I got that Parker knife in the mail today. American Blade brand, measures 3.5 inches closed with a 2.25" clip on one end and a smaller clip and coping blade on the other end. It has a few problems as the locking mechanism is kind of hard to release sometimes, the small clip blade has to be pushed closed and the coping blade has a tendency to hit the large clip while being closed. Plus all those rivets on the handle are kind of proud and rough. Sounds like a real POS but for some reason it is growing on me pretty quick. Not the best knife I have but certainly not the worst. Think I'll keep it.
Attachments
DSC_4119.JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Pretty good lookin' knife Nick. ::tu:: I would suggest trying Quick Release oil for the parts that are too tight, the stuff is incredible. Be sure to only apply a drop or two, and that's it, too much and it'll gum things up. It can be found at most online knife stores, or I believe it can be ordered direct from www.latama.net . US$7.50 for the needle applicator, or US$9.95 for the 1 oz. bottle, or lots of combinations of the two. Enjoy your new acquisition, I'm sure for what you need it for it'll perform nicely! 8)
8)
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:00 pm Pretty good lookin' knife Nick. ::tu:: I would suggest trying Quick Release oil for the parts that are too tight, the stuff is incredible. Be sure to only apply a drop or two, and that's it, too much and it'll gum things up. It can be found at most online knife stores, or I believe it can be ordered direct from www.latama.net . US$7.50 for the needle applicator, or US$9.95 for the 1 oz. bottle, or lots of combinations of the two. Enjoy your new acquisition, I'm sure for what you need it for it'll perform nicely! 8)
Thanks Mark, I'll get some of that stuff and try it. Mostly just been using 3 in 1 oil cause I'm cheap like that.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

CluelessNick wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:37 pm
Madmarco wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:00 pm Pretty good lookin' knife Nick. ::tu:: I would suggest trying Quick Release oil for the parts that are too tight, the stuff is incredible. Be sure to only apply a drop or two, and that's it, too much and it'll gum things up. It can be found at most online knife stores, or I believe it can be ordered direct from www.latama.net . US$7.50 for the needle applicator, or US$9.95 for the 1 oz. bottle, or lots of combinations of the two. Enjoy your new acquisition, I'm sure for what you need it for it'll perform nicely! 8)
Thanks Mark, I'll get some of that stuff and try it. Mostly just been using 3 in 1 oil cause I'm cheap like that.
Hey, me too Nick, I'm always on the lookout for a bargain, but once you try Q.R. oil it's tough going back to anything else. You'll see! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received my monthly package from Mark over at SSk today, and this is 1 of the 3 knives that came! It's a Mcusta linerlock from the M-3 Series, and is 7 1/2" oal/VG-10 drop-point blade with dual-studs, screw construction, adjustable pivot, single SS liner, blue 2-piece body with gold accents, lanyard hole, and a pocket-clip. Weighs a comfortable 3.4 oz.'s, and the blade is as sharp if not sharper as any I've handled. It shows Mcusta markings, and was built in Seki, Japan. The fit n' finish is superb, and the walk n' talk is smooth as silk due to the oiled-washer system found on all Mcusta folders. This is my 3rd Mcusta, although, not my last! 8)
WIN_20210407_12_24_59_Pro.jpg
8)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”