Comfort Knives!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Comfort Knives!

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:28 pm This is the 2nd of 3 knives I received recently from my pal Mark over at SSk! Mark had/has(in his AAPK store)a 1st Production model that runs US$60. more than I paid for this one, but since 1st Production didn't mean a heck of a lot to me I opted for this one. It's an A.G. Russell 1-Hand lockback folder, and is 7" oal/SS drop-point blade with thumb-hole and slight swedge, no liners, 2-piece SS body, stud style release, and lanyard hole. Weighs-in at 2.7 oz.'s, and came extremely sharp. Shows AGR markings, and was built in Seki, Japan. When Smitty saw this knife yesterday in "Mail call" he requested I post close-up pics, and I've done so, although, the only camera I have is the one built into my laptop, so my pics are only so good. 8)WIN_20210407_12_24_29_Pro.jpgWIN_20210408_14_45_15_Pro.jpgWIN_20210408_14_45_41_Pro.jpgWIN_20210408_14_46_16_Pro.jpgWIN_20210408_14_46_25_Pro.jpg
Sweet looking Knife Marc. The overall contour of the blade and frame looks great. This may be on my list of future acquisitions. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:36 pm
Madmarco wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:28 pm This is the 2nd of 3 knives I received recently from my pal Mark over at SSk! Mark had/has(in his AAPK store)a 1st Production model that runs US$60. more than I paid for this one, but since 1st Production didn't mean a heck of a lot to me I opted for this one. It's an A.G. Russell 1-Hand lockback folder, and is 7" oal/SS drop-point blade with thumb-hole and slight swedge, no liners, 2-piece SS body, stud style release, and lanyard hole. Weighs-in at 2.7 oz.'s, and came extremely sharp. Shows AGR markings, and was built in Seki, Japan. When Smitty saw this knife yesterday in "Mail call" he requested I post close-up pics, and I've done so, although, the only camera I have is the one built into my laptop, so my pics are only so good. 8)WIN_20210407_12_24_29_Pro.jpgWIN_20210408_14_45_15_Pro.jpgWIN_20210408_14_45_41_Pro.jpgWIN_20210408_14_46_16_Pro.jpgWIN_20210408_14_46_25_Pro.jpg
Sweet looking Knife Marc. The overall contour of the blade and frame looks great. This may be on my list of future acquisitions. ::tu::
Thanks a lot Smitty! ::handshake:: They have similar 1-hander's on the AGR website, although, those one's have a cutout section along the spine, whereas mine is solid across the top, they cost a LOT more, and they don't have any in all metal without the cutout. Mark has the 1st Production model in his Sharpnshinyknives AAPK store if you wanna have a look, and it's identical to mine but for some etching on the blade. 8) P.S.-This was NOT a paid endorsement! LOL!
8)
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

That's a real looker, Marco! Great size too! ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you Kerry! ::handshake:: I always appreciate hearing from you, you're always so positive and have nice things to say, ::groove:: too bad not everyone is like you! 8)
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That's a good-looking knife, and it seems very reasonably priced, too.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:46 am That's a good-looking knife, and it seems very reasonably priced, too.
Thanks Dan! ::handshake:: I too felt the price was more than reasonable for such a well-built knife! 8)
8)
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:50 am Thank you Kerry! ::handshake:: I always appreciate hearing from you, you're always so positive and have nice things to say, ::groove:: too bad not everyone is like you! 8)
Thanks Marco. You're a gentleman..
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well fellas, this is the 3rd of 3 knives I recently received from Mark over at SSk, and although this is not really my style of knife, I just couldn't resist it's big fat blade and over-all large size. It's a 9 1/4" oal A.G. Russell Texas Ranger Service slip-joint folder/8Cr13MoV steel drop-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters liners and pins, and black linen micarta covers with Texas Ranger shield inlay. Comfortable weight of about 4.5 oz.'s, and freshly sharpened by Mark prior to sending. Displays AGR and Texas Ranger markings. There is a banner on the front blade with "188 yrs. of service" etched inside, which denotes the number of years the T/R's have been in action. Built in China. Fit n' finish is 2nd to none, and the walk n' talk is smooth and snappy, specially after a drop of Q.R. oil was applied to the pivot. I particularly like how the finger-guard was incorporated into the top bolster in the form of a bolster "ear" as it makes the knife very comfortable to hold, and it's only on the channel side. The "run-up" where the tang meets the back-spring shows very tight tolerance, as seen in the bottom pic, the sign of a well made knife. This is a big, solid knife that would make for an excellent EDC, but my copy is destined only for viewing and "comforting"! 8)
WIN_20210409_12_57_55_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210409_12_58_26_Pro.jpg
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:01 pm Well fellas, this is the 3rd of 3 knives I recently received from Mark over at SSk, and although this is not really my style of knife, I just couldn't resist it's big fat blade and over-all large size. It's a 9 1/4" oal A.G. Russell Texas Ranger Service slip-joint folder/8Cr13MoV steel drop-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters liners and pins, and black linen micarta covers with Texas Ranger shield inlay. Comfortable weight of about 4.5 oz.'s, and freshly sharpened by Mark prior to sending. Displays AGR and Texas Ranger markings. There is a banner on the front blade with "188 yrs. of service" etched inside, which denotes the number of years the T/R's have been in action. Built in China. Fit n' finish is 2nd to none, and the walk n' talk is smooth and snappy, specially after a drop of Q.R. oil was applied to the pivot. I particularly like how the finger-guard was incorporated into the top bolster in the form of a bolster "ear" as it makes the knife very comfortable to hold, and it's only on the channel side. The "run-up" where the tang meets the back-spring shows very tight tolerance, as seen in the bottom pic, the sign of a well made knife. This is a big, solid knife that would make for an excellent EDC, but my copy is destined only for viewing and "comforting"! 8)WIN_20210409_12_57_55_Pro.jpgWIN_20210409_12_58_26_Pro.jpg
Congrats, love the look of that big spear. And the shield is cool. And it looks like a classic toothpick handle. SSK has some great stuff. Good looking piece, great show.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

You have a very fine knife Marco. The AGR Texas Ranger knives were a wonderful series. I had them all including your latest. [[They are still in the family] They were each strong and tough, like the Rangers themselves. This is the one I kept for myself. The lock works as smoothly today as when I first got it.
P1040212 (2).JPG
P1040213 (2).JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ivoryman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:28 pm
Madmarco wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:01 pm Well fellas, this is the 3rd of 3 knives I recently received from Mark over at SSk, and although this is not really my style of knife, I just couldn't resist it's big fat blade and over-all large size. It's a 9 1/4" oal A.G. Russell Texas Ranger Service slip-joint folder/8Cr13MoV steel drop-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters liners and pins, and black linen micarta covers with Texas Ranger shield inlay. Comfortable weight of about 4.5 oz.'s, and freshly sharpened by Mark prior to sending. Displays AGR and Texas Ranger markings. There is a banner on the front blade with "188 yrs. of service" etched inside, which denotes the number of years the T/R's have been in action. Built in China. Fit n' finish is 2nd to none, and the walk n' talk is smooth and snappy, specially after a drop of Q.R. oil was applied to the pivot. I particularly like how the finger-guard was incorporated into the top bolster in the form of a bolster "ear" as it makes the knife very comfortable to hold, and it's only on the channel side. The "run-up" where the tang meets the back-spring shows very tight tolerance, as seen in the bottom pic, the sign of a well made knife. This is a big, solid knife that would make for an excellent EDC, but my copy is destined only for viewing and "comforting"! 8)WIN_20210409_12_57_55_Pro.jpgWIN_20210409_12_58_26_Pro.jpg
Congrats, love the look of that big spear. And the shield is cool. And it looks like a classic toothpick handle. SSK has some great stuff. Good looking piece, great show.
Thanks buddy, I appreciate your comments! ::handshake:: The big blade was what 1st caught my attention, and since I didn't have a toothpick in my collection, this one was a logical choice. I've received about 25 pieces from Mark so far, mostly his stock, but a few Ebay auctions as well, and each and every one of them has been a solid, quality knife. You've been showing some great knives yourself lately, lots of them with real gnarly stag/bone. Love it! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:45 pm You have a very fine knife Marco. The AGR Texas Ranger knives were a wonderful series. I had them all including your latest. [[They are still in the family] They were each strong and tough, like the Rangers themselves. This is the one I kept for myself. The lock works as smoothly today as when I first got it.

P1040212 (2).JPGP1040213 (2).JPG
Thank you Garry! ::handshake:: Your lockback is a very handsome folder, it's no wonder you kept it, and it's a model I hadn't seen before. It actually reminds me of a Blackjack Mamba, or perhaps their skinner. They sure are tough, well-made knives! Really like the nail-nic on both sides too! 8)
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:45 pm You have a very fine knife Marco. The AGR Texas Ranger knives were a wonderful series. I had them all including your latest. [[They are still in the family] They were each strong and tough, like the Rangers themselves. This is the one I kept for myself. The lock works as smoothly today as when I first got it.

Nice one QS, I've been looking at those. Looks great. Is that Chinese or Japanese or what?
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ivoryman wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:42 am

Nice one QS, I've been looking at those. Looks great. Is that Chinese or Japanese or what?
If ya click-on the bottom pic Iman, and then click-on it again, it'll enlarge and you can see the "China" stamp on the tang. 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The Texas Ranger series was made in China. The very first one, an exception, was U.S. made. Don't recall by whom. My expectations about Chinese quality completely changed with the introduction of this series.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:05 am The Texas Ranger series was made in China. The very first one, an exception, was U.S. made. Don't recall by whom. My expectations about Chinese quality completely changed with the introduction of this series.
Sorry I answered Iman's question for you Garry, ::facepalm:: should have just waited for you. ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

No problemo Marco. :)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks Quick S and Marco, appreciate it. I must say AGRs have it to a whole other level in quality and blow away others from the same place in my book.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ivoryman wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:45 am Thanks Quick S and Marco, appreciate it. I must say AGRs have it to a whole other level in quality and blow away others from the same place in my book.
If you wanna see their entire line-up Iman, it's at www.agrussell.com . At the bottom of any page is a link to Cutting Edge as well, and their stock is mostly used knives, and they add more every week or every 2nd Wednesday, can't recall for sure. Lots of great knives. 8)
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:53 am
Ivoryman wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:45 am Thanks Quick S and Marco, appreciate it. I must say AGRs have it to a whole other level in quality and blow away others from the same place in my book.
If you wanna see their entire line-up Iman, it's at www.agrussell.com . At the bottom of any page is a link to Cutting Edge as well, and their stock is mostly used knives, and they add more every week or every 2nd Wednesday, can't recall for sure. Lots of great knives. 8)
Thanks a bunch, been to the AGR site, never noticed the Cutting Edge. Appreciate it. Good to know.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is 1 of 2 new autos I got today, and I'll post the other one tomorrow! This knife is a counterfeit copy of the Benchmade "Spike", and I say counterfeit because the Chinese just couldn't resist stealing the original etch, but if they had, it would only be the more acceptable clone or copy. I've been in love with this knife ever since I first saw one years ago, and when it showed-up on one of the Chinese sites recently, I pulled the trigger. Onsite the etches weren't showing, so I thought it was just a copy, but when it arrived and I examined it I saw the etch. Why oh why could they have not just left the etch off, so that they wouldn't have been counterfeiting the knife only copying it, and I wouldn't have had to do all this explaining! The fact it's a counterfeit doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does others, but I felt I had to be completely honest regarding it's origins. The knife is 8" oal/SS dagger blade, 2-piece black aluminum body, adjustable pivot, and coil-spring BO/BC action. Weighs-in at 2.7 oz.'s, and never having handled an original I don't know how close to the original weight that is. The blade arrived surprisingly sharp, considering this is a stabbing knife, not a cutting knife. As I do with all my knives when they arrive, I applied Q.R. oil to the pivot and button, and the result is a fast, hard firing knife that locks-up solid every time. My collection is definitely growing! 8)
WIN_20210422_15_04_00_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210422_15_03_33_Pro.jpg
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:45 am This is 1 of 2 new autos I got today, and I'll post the other one tomorrow! This knife is a counterfeit copy of the Benchmade "Spike", and I say counterfeit because the Chinese just couldn't resist stealing the original etch, but if they had, it would only be the more acceptable clone or copy. I've been in love with this knife ever since I first saw one years ago, and when it showed-up on one of the Chinese sites recently, I pulled the trigger. Onsite the etches weren't showing, so I thought it was just a copy, but when it arrived and I examined it I saw the etch. Why oh why could they have not just left the etch off, so that they wouldn't have been counterfeiting the knife only copying it, and I wouldn't have had to do all this explaining! The fact it's a counterfeit doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does others, but I felt I had to be completely honest regarding it's origins. The knife is 8" oal/SS dagger blade, 2-piece black aluminum body, adjustable pivot, and coil-spring BO/BC action. Weighs-in at 2.7 oz.'s, and never having handled an original I don't know how close to the original weight that is. The blade arrived surprisingly sharp, considering this is a stabbing knife, not a cutting knife. As I do with all my knives when they arrive, I applied Q.R. oil to the pivot and button, and the result is a fast, hard firing knife that locks-up solid every time. My collection is definitely growing! 8)WIN_20210422_15_04_00_Pro.jpgWIN_20210422_15_03_33_Pro.jpg
Slick looking knife Marc. If it's made as good as a Benchmade, it should be a fast opening auto.

Smitty
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:56 am
Madmarco wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:45 am This is 1 of 2 new autos I got today, and I'll post the other one tomorrow! This knife is a counterfeit copy of the Benchmade "Spike", and I say counterfeit because the Chinese just couldn't resist stealing the original etch, but if they had, it would only be the more acceptable clone or copy. I've been in love with this knife ever since I first saw one years ago, and when it showed-up on one of the Chinese sites recently, I pulled the trigger. Onsite the etches weren't showing, so I thought it was just a copy, but when it arrived and I examined it I saw the etch. Why oh why could they have not just left the etch off, so that they wouldn't have been counterfeiting the knife only copying it, and I wouldn't have had to do all this explaining! The fact it's a counterfeit doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does others, but I felt I had to be completely honest regarding it's origins. The knife is 8" oal/SS dagger blade, 2-piece black aluminum body, adjustable pivot, and coil-spring BO/BC action. Weighs-in at 2.7 oz.'s, and never having handled an original I don't know how close to the original weight that is. The blade arrived surprisingly sharp, considering this is a stabbing knife, not a cutting knife. As I do with all my knives when they arrive, I applied Q.R. oil to the pivot and button, and the result is a fast, hard firing knife that locks-up solid every time. My collection is definitely growing! 8)WIN_20210422_15_04_00_Pro.jpgWIN_20210422_15_03_33_Pro.jpg
Thanks Smitty. ::handshake:: Having never handled the original Benchmade I can't comment on it's quality, but whoever built my copy sure did a fine job, and yes, it fires like a Howitzer! If they'd only left the etch off!!! :x ::sot:: ::bad_day:: ::censored:: ::cuss:: ::dang:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

As promised, this is the 2nd of 2 knives I received recently! This one is a counterfeited 8" Pro-Tech "Don", that looks suspiciously like the Ganzo G707, in fact, it'd be interesting to find out who made their model first. It has a SS dagger blade, black aluminum 2-piece body with carbon fiber inserts, screw construction, adjustable pivot, coil-spring fired BO/BC action, and pocket-clip. Even lighter than the above "Spike" at only 2.5 oz.'s, and both edges came sharp. Unfortunately marked with Pro-Tech logo and wording. Onsite description claimed the knife is 10 1/4", which is the size I wanted because I already own an 8" Ganzo that looks very much like this knife, but when it arrived it was only 8". Pretty much par for the course for a blatant counterfeiter. At least I have another model for my collection. I included a pic with the Ganzo for comparison purposes! 8)
WIN_20210422_15_05_01_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210422_15_04_43_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210423_13_57_55_Pro.jpg
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:10 pm As promised, this is the 2nd of 2 knives I received recently! This one is a counterfeited 8" Pro-Tech "Don", that looks suspiciously like the Ganzo G707, in fact, it'd be interesting to find out who made their model first. It has a SS dagger blade, black aluminum 2-piece body with carbon fiber inserts, screw construction, adjustable pivot, coil-spring fired BO/BC action, and pocket-clip. Even lighter than the above "Spike" at only 2.5 oz.'s, and both edges came sharp. Unfortunately marked with Pro-Tech logo and wording. Onsite description claimed the knife is 10 1/4", which is the size I wanted because I already own an 8" Ganzo that looks very much like this knife, but when it arrived it was only 8". Pretty much par for the course for a blatant counterfeiter. At least I have another model for my collection. I included a pic with the Ganzo for comparison purposes! 8)WIN_20210422_15_05_01_Pro.jpgWIN_20210422_15_04_43_Pro.jpgWIN_20210423_13_57_55_Pro.jpg
Cool looking auto Marc. I actually like the looks of the black one better than the Ganzo. Well all except for the guards. I have just never been a fan of such large guards on such a slim looking knife. I know they kinda sorta serve a function, and were a part of the original stiletto designs, but I'm not a fan. To me they interrupt the smooth lines. Except for that, it's a great looking knife. ::tu::

Smitty

Return to “General Knife Discussion”