Comfort Knives!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Comfort Knives!

Post by Madmarco »

This little beauty arrived today, so it's gonna be my comfort knife! It's a Benchmade 417 Fact automatic, and is 8 3/4" oal/CPM-S90V spear-point blade, aluminum bolsters, SS liners, carbon fiber covers, adjustable pivot, spine-mounted safety, coil-spring fired, and a pocket-clip. Has a comfortable weight of 3.5 oz.'s, and came extremely sharp. Opens hard n' fast and locks-up solid. Displays excellent fit n' finish. I included a pic of the manual model, and on both knives you pull down on the axis-lock to unlock the blade, but when doing so on the auto the blade deploys automatically, whereas on the manual you can either "flick", pinch n' pull, or use the stud to open it. To close the blades on both models you must pull down on the axis-lock before folding closed. The spine-mounted manual safety which is only present on the auto provides an extra measure of safety. This is a very nice automatic knife! 8)
WIN_20211025_10_16_14_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211025_10_17_18_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211025_10_28_31_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Yes it is a very nice looking knife Marco. Could you give me an indication of the price? And is that a 4" blade?
Samb

Post by Samb »

It doesn't get much better than Benchmade.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:03 pm Yes it is a very nice looking knife Marco. Could you give me an indication of the price? And is that a 4" blade?
Thanks Garry! These retail for about US$340., but I was fortunate enough to find one for a bit less. And yes, the blade is exactly 4" from tip to bolster. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Samb wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:08 pm It doesn't get much better than Benchmade.
Thank you Sam! ::handshake:: I'm in complete agreement, can't get much better than Benchmade. I use to have a bone to pick with them, but have since relented because my objections were unwarranted, or at least directed at the wrong party. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I got this comfort knife back from repairs today, and it was worth the wait! It's an 11" oal AGA Campolin Maltese lockback that needed new covers and reassembly which was all done beautifully by our own Kaleb "Muskratman" Reynolds. It has a SS dagger blade, N/S Maltese bolsters, brass liners and pins, faux sapphire button installed by yours truly, and ebony wood covers. Has a comfortable weight of about 5 oz.'s, with only the bottom edge sharpened. After the adjustments it now fires properly and locks-up solid. Fit n' finish done by Kaleb is perfect. I bought this knife in August/2019 and now is the first time I've had it operating correctly! Yahoo! 8)
WIN_20211101_13_28_32_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211101_13_28_06_Pro.jpg
8)
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:25 pm This is one knife among many that bring me comfort. I can’t stop admiring the attention to detail, the fit and finish and the beauty of this knife. I bought this for myself about 3 years ago. I had seen this “pinched peanut” in A.G. Russell’s catalog for years and finally bought one. Made in Seki Japan. All stainless construction, except the handles which are mammoth ivory. The run up on this is just as tight as any knife I have ever seen. I don’t use it much, I mainly like to handle and look at it. Occasionally I will cut some dead skin off of my thumbs with it, it’s great for doing that, it’s razor sharp.
That is a real looker for sure!
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Comfort, huh?

Here is my "comfort" knife, one of four I still have left out of a set of 6 acquired in 1973. They have lived in my kitchen through a dozen moves, a pair of kids, about six dogs and all of the ups and downs that come in the life of a tradesman. (the pair of kids most likely account for the two AWOL knives, because the dogs never used them)

In 73, I was 21 years old, I had been married for two years, and thought I was a grown-up, savvy fellow... I got a call from my sister who told me about this fabulous deal called the Southern Buyer's Club. She and her husband had bought a membership for $500.00 in this club and had already saved thousands on furniture and appliances. These folks could get you anything at a serious discount. My wife and I went down to their sales office/showroom looked at all of the cheap stuff and took in the sales talk for about an hour, before we left, we signed an easy term contract for $500.00 to join the buyer's club. (At the time, I was making $100.00 a week as an apprentice plumber, if I got to work a full 40 hours). As part of the sales promotion, we got to draw from a container to get a free prize. The prizes ranged from an expensive all expense paid trip to some exotic place, cars, motorcycles, down to a set of steak knives. Well, I have never been too lucky, so damned if we didn't draw the steak knives....

Three weeks or so after we signed on the dotted line, the business closed up shop and disappeared. I wasn't too upset because we only had about twenty bucks in...until we got the collections letter demanding the entire $500.00 plus interest. The buyer's club had sold our contract before the ink was dry and after talking to an attorney in the family who perused the contract, we ended up having to pay up in monthly installments for a year or so. I was pissed to the max, but I had to pay...

What gives me the comfort is that, since that lesson, I have never again fallen for a deal that was too good to be true. When ever my wife and I smell a scam, we just look at each other and say, "Steak knives" laugh and walk away.

Now, to the benefit of the Southern Buyer's club, they have been good knives. That knife must have been washed nearly 5,000 times in the past 50 years. We have never allowed ourselves to get rid of the damn things. When I invite you all over for a steak dinner, you will be using a prized family possession to cut up that beef.
Attachments
DSCN2670.JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

A fine knife M.D., and an even finer story! I almost bit on the Southern Buyers Club, but at the last second simply decided against it. It seemed like one of those "too good to be true" deals, and I guess it was! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This comfort knife today is the 2nd one I recently got back from Muskratman, thank you Kaleb, who built a new blade for it since it's original blade was lost in the US mail! I bought the knife in August/2020, and yesterday when I got it back was the first time I'd seen it with it's blade installed since I first saw it on the website I bought it from. It's an 11" oal John Nowill & Sons conversion done by Rueben "Chad" Blades when he worked at Roadsideimports.com, and has a 5mm SS dagger blade riding on roller-bearing washers and with Kaleb's "M/M" stamp on the front tang, N/S bolsters liners and button, brass pins, 5mm 1-piece back-spring, and rich dark brown Becote wood covers. Has a substantial weight of about 8 oz.'s, and Kaleb sharpened both edges which makes closing the blade a challenge since my palm must press against the sharp edge while fighting the 5mm spring and depressing the button at the same time to save wear and tear on the catch-sear. Good thing my old palms are like leather! It fires fast and hard with tight solid lock-up each time. Chad, not Kaleb was responsible for the fit n' finish, and it's superb. I waited a long time to have my new knife operational, and now it is! 8)
WIN_20211101_13_26_57_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211101_13_26_28_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I got a couple of Rough Rider manuals in today, but I'll post them one-at-a-time! This first one is the R/R 2181 Denim Micarta slip-joint, and it's 7" oal/440A SS wharncliffe blade with n/n, ribbed N/S bolsters and pins, brass liners, denim Micarta covers, and lanyard tube. It weighs exactly 3 oz.'s, and came incredibly sharp. Has a very comfortable walk n' talk and the fit n' finish is professional. The run-up where the spine meets the tang has extremely tight tolerance that is similar to a Moki, and the blade is centered perfectly when closed. I don't know how they can pump out such a quality knife for under US$20., but they can! 8)
WIN_20211105_12_29_46_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211105_12_29_28_Pro.jpg
8)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

That’s another fine knife ya got Mark!! 👍💎👍
John 🏁
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks a bunch John! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Giving this some pocket time today, after a few swipes on Crock-Stix.
IMAG0744.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

cudgee wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:23 am Giving this some pocket time today, after a few swipes on Crock-Stix.

IMAG0744.jpg
More pictures of that beautiful knife please Cudgee! ::pray:: 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:42 am
cudgee wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:23 am Giving this some pocket time today, after a few swipes on Crock-Stix.

IMAG0744.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
IMAG0745.jpg
IMAG0747.jpg
IMAG0748.jpg
IMAG0749.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is the 2nd Rough Rider I got yesterday! It's their 2176 Bow Tapper and is 7" oal/440A SS upswept blade with n/n, N/S ribbed bolsters and pins, brass liners and shield, red spacers, black Micarta covers, and a brass lanyard tube. Weighs slightly less than the previous knife at 2.7 oz.'s, and arrived just as sharp. Very similar smooth walk n' talk, and the fit n' finish is also comparable to the previous Rough Rider I posted. This is another inexpensive well built R/R folder! Don't ya just love that blade! 8)
WIN_20211105_12_30_54_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211105_12_30_19_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

cudgee wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:53 am

IMAG0744.jpg

IMAG0745.jpg
IMAG0747.jpg
IMAG0748.jpg
IMAG0749.jpg
That's more like it, thanks man! ::handshake:: You own one gorgeous knife there my friend! ::tu:: 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:57 am

IMAG0745.jpg
IMAG0747.jpg
IMAG0748.jpg
IMAG0749.jpg
That's more like it, thanks man! ::handshake:: You own one gorgeous knife there my friend! ::tu:: 8)
And it is very special to me also. These were impossible for me to purchase, but through the most thoughtful generosity of Charlie Campagna the man behind these being made i was able to get my hands on one. So as you can see, a very special knife. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

IMAG0744.jpg

IMAG0745.jpg
IMAG0747.jpg
IMAG0748.jpg
IMAG0749.jpg
Cudgee that’s a gorgeous knife . ::tu:: ::tu::
And the story behind it is very cool . Good for you my Friend ,It sure is a beauty . ::handshake::
JP
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:35 pm I got a couple of Rough Rider manuals in today, but I'll post them one-at-a-time! This first one is the R/R 2181 Denim Micarta slip-joint, and it's 7" oal/440A SS wharncliffe blade with n/n, ribbed N/S bolsters and pins, brass liners, denim Micarta covers, and lanyard tube. It weighs exactly 3 oz.'s, and came incredibly sharp. Has a very comfortable walk n' talk and the fit n' finish is professional. The run-up where the spine meets the tang has extremely tight tolerance that is similar to a Moki, and the blade is centered perfectly when closed. I don't know how they can pump out such a quality knife for under US$20., but they can! 8)WIN_20211105_12_29_46_Pro.jpgWIN_20211105_12_29_28_Pro.jpg
I like 'em both, love the looks of the Denim Micarta and that Bow Trapper pattern is awesome.
Ike
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

IMAG0744.jpg

IMAG0745.jpg
IMAG0747.jpg
IMAG0748.jpg
IMAG0749.jpg
That is a superb knife, Cudgee, very nice!
Ike
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yesirie bob, y'all have been doing most excellent on the comfort front.

May have been lurking for a bit, but don't worry mates! I've been enjoying everything you guys have been showing off, well done!
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

WillyCamaro wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:23 am Yesirie bob, y'all have been doing most excellent on the comfort front.

May have been lurking for a bit, but don't worry mates! I've been enjoying everything you guys have been showing off, well done!
::tu::
::tu:: :)
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

This is what I carry most of the time - don’t feel completely dressed if it isn’t in my pocket. Early 1970s Boker Barlow.
Attachments
3F7074BE-4E79-49B8-B47E-C0917732D91C.jpeg
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Knife Discussion”