Comfort Knives!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Comfort Knives!

Post by tvic »

Rosecraft was started recently by a couple of people who used to be with SMKW. Their website says they are planning "to build a manufacturing facility in the USA in the future." Yes, the knives looks good. Hope they do well.
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Mark, I'm not as knowledgeable as others (especially Mumbleypeg when Case is concerned), but thanks for the compliment! The research I did on the Hawbaker Special turned up six combinations of tang stamps produced for Mr. Hawbaker's 1978 order, which I believe was a quantity of 1,000. The odds of finding one are not in my favor...but a guy can dream, right?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

A very generous offer from Jeff to bring back to life a Callimus pattern 51 for me, this was perfect in every way for me as I really wanted a Barlow to have in my EDC rotation.

See what you guys think

It’s brilliant and I was always a closest fan of his work at Second Life Knives

Thanks Jeff hope you don’t mind me sharing your work ?

JT
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Now THAT’S a gorgeous handle! ::tu::
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

JT, you scored a beautiful Barlow. I agree completely with Tim, i.e. your handle is super.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'll be 3rd to say how nice your Barlow looks, Jon.
Those covers are stunning, just beautiful.
Nice catch!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for confirming Rosecraft Knives, Tim.
You would think former SMKW employees would know their knives, I sure hope they do anyway.
They could put out some very nice models!
8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

JonTerry wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:15 am A very generous offer from Jeff to bring back to life a Callimus pattern 51 for me, this was perfect in every way for me as I really wanted a Barlow to have in my EDC rotation.

See what you guys think

It’s brilliant and I was always a closest fan of his work at Second Life Knives

Thanks Jeff hope you don’t mind me sharing your work ?

JT
Brilliant. Love the colour. ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Madmarco wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:06 pm Thanks for confirming Rosecraft Knives, Tim.
You would think former SMKW employees would know their knives, I sure hope they do anyway.
They could put out some very nice models!
8)
They have one coming out in June that i like. And good to know about C.Risner shipping internationally and stocking them. ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I am fully aware of your shipping difficulties, cudgee, so I figured you knowing Risner now does ship internationally would be good news.
It's a flat-rate of US$35. for shipping internationally but at least it's available for models you REALLY want. It is what it is!
8)
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Madmarco wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:16 pm
My new knife came with history attached! The seller claimed that it was in the pocket of the Secret Service agent who was assigned to guard Ronny Reagan the day he was shot in 1981. Interesting so far, right? He continued telling me the same SS agent again had this knife in his pocket as he stood in NYC and watched the Twin Towers come down in 2001. I don't know the seller previous to this interaction and have no reason to doubt what he says, but, the SAME agent 20 yrs. later...? ::hmm:: Considering the job they do, I wouldn't think SS agents last that long, stress, alcoholism, being shot, etc.,
I think Parker came with a lot of great knives in the 70's and 80's ::tu:: A very cool knife Mark... and an interesting story to boot. ::hmm:: ... I would wonder as to the age of the agent and years of service ::hmm:: you just don't start as a Secret Service agent and 6 months latter you are guarding the president... so maybe you are looking at someone with 10 years experience as an Agent before a Presidential Detail and before that maybe 4 years military service, maybe 4 years of collage etc..etc.. ::hmm:: So, still all very possible in the time frame as claimed :| ...
... ::paranoid:: I just tend to look at claims like that with a skeptic's eye... ::paranoid::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks, Dog, I really like that particular Parker, along with the other Tanto model in the bottom picture. They're both so clean and straight looking when closed cuz the blades hide all the way into the channel, and it goes without saying how good they look when open, in my opinion.
As for the story, the dates are what made me wonder about it's validity, although, the seller told me the story AFTER I'd paid, so he wasn't using it as a sales pitch, so that along with your dissection of the career of a Secret Service agent makes the story interesting if not believable to my ears.
Who really knows, who really cares, ::shrug:: I'd like my knife if a troll had owned it previously! lol!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is my comfort choice for today, and it's brand new!
It's a 6 3/4" oal Ohio River Jack that has a Bohler M390 Wharncliffe blade, Titanium bolsters, SS back spring and pins, and black canvas micarta covers. Weighs a nice comfy 3 oz.'s and came wickedly sharp. It has a rather strong double-pull of about 7, and strong half-stop and closing detent. Fit and finish is next to flawless.
This is one nice knife that's made by QSP in China, but if you didn't know that, you wouldn't think that.
This is my most blatant example of "Monkey see monkey do", cuz Rick/Railsplitter posted his copy about 3 weeks ago, and I've been working on getting mine ever since!
8)
WIN_20230516_14_54_29_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230516_14_54_01_Pro.jpg
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That's definitely a pocketful, Mark. And Micarta is always a win in my book! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That looks like it is intended for some serious work, Marco. Looks good in what I might call a contemporary style.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

It’s an imposing hunk of knife, Marco! I like the size of that blade! You got a good ‘un!
Tim
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for your great comments, fellas! ::handshake::
I can confirm all of your suspicions guys, it IS a "pocketful" with nicely done "micarta", Dan, as well as having a "contemporary style" ready to perform "some serious work", Garry, along with it's "imposing hunk of knife" appearance and "likeable blade size" all adds up to me getting "a good 'un", Tim! lol!
See what I did? Clever, huh!
Sorry friends, I just couldn't resist!
8)
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Madmarco wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:30 am This is my comfort choice for today, and it's brand new!
It's a 6 3/4" oal Ohio River Jack that has a Bohler M390 Wharncliffe blade, Titanium bolsters, SS back spring and pins, and black canvas micarta covers. Weighs a nice comfy 3 oz.'s and came wickedly sharp. It has a rather strong double-pull of about 7, and strong half-stop and closing detent. Fit and finish is next to flawless.
This is one nice knife that's made by QSP in China, but if you didn't know that, you wouldn't think that.
This is my most blatant example of "Monkey see monkey do", cuz Rick/Railsplitter posted his copy about 3 weeks ago, and I've been working on getting mine ever since!
8)WIN_20230516_14_54_29_Pro.jpgWIN_20230516_14_54_01_Pro.jpg
That is a SOLID knife Mark! ::tu:: ::tu:: I really it! ::nod:: (But... PLEASE don't sent it too me!! you have already been TOO generous! :wink: )
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks, Dog!
Not to worry, brother, chances of anymore "bombs" for awhile are not good, and it's not because I don't have others I'd love to send to some of you guys, it's because for me to get out to the post office to mail the packages is very difficult. But every now and again I get inspired and will go through the ordeal so I get to make someone's day, but for now you'll have to be satisfied just viewing them!
Whether it's "bombed" to you or not, you might want to look into these Ohio River Jacks, I predict they'll become very popular quickly!
They seem to be on-par with the current Jack Wolf line-up of knives, they have the same look and feel for about 1/3 of the price!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received this beauty recently from an ebay seller, but am just getting around to posting it now!
This is an 8 1/4" oal Schatt & Morgan Series X Harness Jack lockback featuring a SS spear-point blade with long-pull, steel bolsters and shield, brass lines and pins, and creamy brown jigged stag/bone covers that are showing faded green along the edges if that means anything to anyone.
Very comfortable 4 oz. weight coupled with a fresh sharpening makes er' ready to go.
Walks at about 4, with an equal closing talk.
The fit and finish is superb for a knife that's 23 yrs. old, this baby was well cared for.
The Series X denotes my new knife was built in 2000, and is 1 of only 600 made.
It's displaying both S & M and Queen Cutlery stamps and etches.
This is not my usual style, but since I'd like to start expanding my choices it's a great place to start!
8)
WIN_20230328_13_04_50_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230328_13_05_27_Pro.jpg
8)
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

I really LIKE that, Marco. Good looking handle, love the size, looks awesome! Great find there, my friend!
Tim
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks a bunch, Tim, I'm trying to open my mind to other possibilities than what I usually seek!
I like the size too, not huge but not tiny either!
8)
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Madmarco wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:08 pm I received this beauty recently from an ebay seller, but am just getting around to posting it now!
This is an 8 1/4" oal Schatt & Morgan Series X Harness Jack lockback featuring a SS spear-point blade with long-pull, steel bolsters and shield, brass lines and pins,
Mark did you bid on that? Or just hit "buy now" I have bid on a BUNCH of Schatt & Morgan knives lately and I just get out bid every time and the bidding always go over my budget. :x ::td::

... ::hmm:: ...But you DID get a beautiful knife buddy!!! ::tu:: ::tu::

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

No, this one was "Buy it Now", Dog.
As-a-matter-of-fact, the seller doesn't ship to Canada so I had to contact him to see if he'd make an exception and send it to me.
He agreed but was unfamiliar with how to go about that, so I guided him through the process and we got er' done.
I told him he could use First-Class International for about US$15. and that's the amount he included in the invoice and is what I paid, but when he went to the Post Office the first quote they gave him was US$44.10 and not being familiar with International prices he accepted that price and messaged me to request I PayPal him the difference, which of course I did. That stung a bit on principle, but considering some of the ways I've wasted money I can live with it.
I'm gonna PM you right away so watch for it!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Here's a knife I thought I'd never buy, but I did and am so happy I did!
It's an Extrema Ratio BF3 "Dark Talon" linerlock with a Bohler N690 Wharncliffe blade featuring dual-studs, a single SS liner, an adjustable pivot, a pocket-clip, and a 2-piece black anticorodal anodized aluminum body.
The weight of 4.3 oz.'s just tickles the edges of my acceptable "sweet spot" of about 5 oz.'s, and it arrived very sharp.
The walk and talk on this knife is the most pleasant I've experienced so far, with the blade absolutely flying open with a slight nudge on either stud, and an equally smooth closing with no resistance whatsoever after the linerlock has been released.
Being straight from the factory the fit and finish is flawless.
Made in Italy.
I thought I'd already experienced some of the fastest opening knives made, but when I applied the slightest pressure to the stud on this knife and the blade came flying out I changed my tune. If you ever get the chance to open one of this model be sure you do and you'll know what I'm talking about. This model thankfully doesn't have that silly extension on the blade to accommodate opening like many of their folders do, it has nice clean lines when closed.
If I can find other models without the extension I'll be sure to buy them, these are great knives!
8)
WIN_20221117_13_10_22_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221117_13_10_40_Pro.jpg
8)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”