Crazy asking prices

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bigshot

Re: Crazy asking prices

Post by bigshot »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:29 amWell, I have no intention of selling what I have. I hate selling because I always end up with remorse. If I hadn't wanted it, I wouldn't have bought it. I won't be around in 15-20 years so the kids can do as they please with my pile. ::huff::
The kids will probably wish you invested in gold bullion instead! But that isn't theirs to say.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:34 pm
edge213 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:48 pm There is a mammoth Northwoods in an AAPK store for $1250.
Not a scientific study, just an observation, but it seems the stores that have the really high prices are owned by guys that never or hardly ever post in the forum. Though some do log in often. ::shrug::
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... order=DESC
Mammoth Northwoods.jpg

What I find interesting is that he's offering it for $1,250 on AAPK, but on eBay the same seller has it listed for auction starting at .99 (10 day listing...should be interesting to see how this plays out)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124988567547?h ... Swa8VhhDsc
Seller ID.jpg
Doesn't seem right to me, but I'm not a knife seller/flipper.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

edge213 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:48 pm There is a mammoth Northwoods in an AAPK store for $1250.
Not a scientific study, just an observation, but it seems the stores that have the really high prices are owned by guys that never or hardly ever post in the forum. Though some do log in often. ::shrug::
$1250 + Postage. :lol: :lol: :lol:
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

cudgee wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:30 pm
You'd think when you charge this much it would include shipping. :roll:
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

edge213 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:33 pm
cudgee wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:30 pm
You'd think when you charge this much it would include shipping. :roll:
That would be my line of thinking, but maybe i am so out of touch with reality.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:40 pm
Miller Bro's wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:35 pm I also wondered why they never participate in the forum ::hmm:: ::shrug::
Some do, but, my guess is that the ones who don't participate in the forum aren't knife lovers/collectors so much as opportunistic businessmen trying to take advantage of a unique situation to make a lot of money while avoiding the taxes and fees charged on eBay. ::undecided::
That is so true Q. There's one store owner who opened a store, ::undecided:: and then after only a few weeks closed his store, ::undecided:: and then re-opened it again with only a couple of listings, ::undecided:: so it'll be interesting to see when he closes it again. ::hmm:: All his prices are quite high for what he's offering, so this guy sure sounds like one of those opportunistic businessmen. 8)
8)
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

He has sold a lot of knives here so somebody is buying them.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

royal0014 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:18 pm Used to be the AAPK Store was kinda exclusive. Nice knives at decent prices by people we know.
Seems it's been infiltrated by the high price flippers, and an increasing amount of china garbage . . .
:(
This is true.
Eye Brand Collector
cbay

Post by cbay »

Just seen some of stuff in the store.... Getting a bit out there....
I'm a newbie nobody on here but nonetheless agree. I've seen forums before that had minimum post counts to weed out different things....... Just a thought....
Chris
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

cbay wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:24 am Just seen some of stuff in the store.... Getting a bit out there....
I'm a newbie nobody on here but nonetheless agree. I've seen forums before that had minimum post counts to weed out different things....... Just a thought....
It costs money to run a forum of this size. The selling portion is a source of income. So members won’t be weeded out for not posting on the social part.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

The Ebay listing has been canceled and the listing here is marked sold. Probably sold off the books.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Boji wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:29 pm The Ebay listing has been canceled and the listing here is marked sold. Probably sold off the books.
If you scroll through the seller's store you can see the listing in his "Sold" items, so it was sold from his store through the "Shopping Cart". If it had been sold off the books it wouldn't show there. 8)
8)
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

I see the little Northwoods fixed blades are being sold secondary market already, one in the store for 650$ with mammoth and 1095 ::barf:: A guy could buy a very nice custom knife in MUCH better steel for that price. GEC and Northwoods remind me of the Beanie Babies in the 90's.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Montanaman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:05 pm I see the little Northwoods fixed blades are being sold secondary market already, one in the store for 650$ with mammoth and 1095 ::barf:: A guy could buy a very nice custom knife in MUCH better steel for that price. GEC and Northwoods remind me of the Beanie Babies in the 90's.
So true...both managed to develop a cult-like following willing to pay through the nose for what amounts mostly to buying a name brand. I know all the GEC lovers on AAPK (and they are legion) may disagree, but in the end even they have to admit that GEC is just another production knife much like Beanie Babies are just another plush toy that is not worth the stratospheric prices many people are willing to pay for them on the secondary market. Reminds me of the "Pet Rock" and "Cabbage Patch Doll" craze of the 1980s. Makes no sense to me. :?

BTW: I am in no way suggesting that GEC knives are inferior in any way at all, just that, objectively, as a knife/tool, they're not worth what the flippers are asking for them and the amount some collectors are paying for them. They're worth the original MSRP and maybe a little bit more to collectors, IMHO, but certainly not 2, 3, 4 or 5 times the original retail price...regardless of how "rare" they are. As always, YMMV. :|

I have purchased several handmade custom knives that are far superior to any GEC for about the same (often even less than) the prices I routinely see GECs selling for on the secondary market. It's baffling to me why people want these knives so much that they'll pay such outrageous prices for a production knife, regardless of how well made it is. ::uc::
~Q~
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:22 pm
So true...
Great response. There are a couple folks around here showing off their new GEC's but don't support the site. Posting pics takes up server space, $20 is very reasonable.
cbay

Post by cbay »

Maybe it's too early to say but appears some listings on various sites have been getting less action in the last week.
My local CL ads have slowed down some also. Probably just a shift in different demands and the holidays though. ::shrug::
Chris
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Crazy is a understatement regarding prices ,of everything not just knives . The prices here on the forum are getting out there and especially so for anything “ Vintage “ ::facepalm:: or Antique. And this make offer thing is a joke !!! Have made several reasonable offers but sellers have it set up to reject offers less than asking price . Do they think we are going to offer more ? Or am I way off base? So for now won’t be buying anything thru the Forum stores ,which is rather sad considering that’s part of what brought some of us here . The days of the shows and meetings are slipping away in the smaller communities and seems only the big shows will continue in the future . So this guy is saving his cash and will hit a big show on the East coast or the Gator show in Florida and do some good old fashioned knife hunting and swapping stories . And honestly it’s more about meeting other collectors than buying another knife as have all the knives a guy really could ever want but could always use another friend.
Take care out there knifers HAPPY THANKSGIVING
JP
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ripster wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:59 pm Crazy is a understatement regarding prices ,of everything not just knives . The prices here on the forum are getting out there and especially so for anything “ Vintage “ ::facepalm:: or Antique. And this make offer thing is a joke !!! Have made several reasonable offers but sellers have it set up to reject offers less than asking price . Do they think we are going to offer more ? Or am I way off base? So for now won’t be buying anything thru the Forum stores ,which is rather sad considering that’s part of what brought some of us here . The days of the shows and meetings are slipping away in the smaller communities and seems only the big shows will continue in the future . So this guy is saving his cash and will hit a big show on the East coast or the Gator show in Florida and do some good old fashioned knife hunting and swapping stories . And honestly it’s more about meeting other collectors than buying another knife as have all the knives a guy really could ever want but could always use another friend.
Well stated J.P.! ::tu::
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:33 pm
Ripster wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:59 pm Crazy is a understatement regarding prices ,of everything not just knives . The prices here on the forum are getting out there and especially so for anything “ Vintage “ ::facepalm:: or Antique. And this make offer thing is a joke !!! Have made several reasonable offers but sellers have it set up to reject offers less than asking price . Do they think we are going to offer more ? Or am I way off base? So for now won’t be buying anything thru the Forum stores ,which is rather sad considering that’s part of what brought some of us here . The days of the shows and meetings are slipping away in the smaller communities and seems only the big shows will continue in the future . So this guy is saving his cash and will hit a big show on the East coast or the Gator show in Florida and do some good old fashioned knife hunting and swapping stories . And honestly it’s more about meeting other collectors than buying another knife as have all the knives a guy really could ever want but could always use another friend.
Well stated J.P.! ::tu::
Ditto, Ditto. ::tu:: ::nod::
gordonjohn

Post by gordonjohn »

I agree I am fairly new to knife collecting but I find scharde , colonial ,and other older knifes resonably priced and once in awhile I find a case, I was very lucky to find a jackknife ben 3 blade trapper made by schrade cut co for 2 bucks at a rummage sale so there are some deals yet , great topic. gordonjohn
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

gordonjohn wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:12 pm I agree I am fairly new to knife collecting but I find scharde , colonial ,and other older knifes resonably priced and once in awhile I find a case, I was very lucky to find a jackknife ben 3 blade trapper made by schrade cut co for 2 bucks at a rummage sale so there are some deals yet , great topic. gordonjohn
Just in case no one has done this yet, I'd like to ::welcome:: you to AAPK Gord! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
gordonjohn

Post by gordonjohn »

THANKS MAD MARCO I LIKE AAPK ALOT VERY FRINDLY PEOPLE HERE GORDONJOHN
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I have observed and mentioned this previously, but I feel it's worth repeating: The current trend of extraordinarily high SELLING prices isn't necessarily just a result of high ASKING prices. For some reason people are willing to pay outrageous amounts of money for production knives...practically any production knife (not just GECs & Northwoods).

Take a look at this Case 6107W that just recently sold for a whopping $182.50 !!! :shock: Just a few years ago I was routinely buying and selling this exact same model for $40 - $50...I believe at one time I actually had about a dozen or so of these, some of which were given away, some were swapped for other knives and some were sold. Fortunately, I hung onto a couple for my own collection. Had I known they would triple or quadruple in value in just a few short years, I probably would have kept all of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403302564807?s ... true&rt=nc
Case 6107W.jpg

So, when I hear people say that the higher prices are "good for our hobby" I have to disagree because I think the higher prices tend to make people think twice about selling and they end up hoarding more knives hoping their "investment" will continue to increase in value (which is exactly what I am now doing...no more selling for me.)
~Q~
gordonjohn

Post by gordonjohn »

I think the higher prices will keep collectors like me from getting the more collectable knife, I guess I will just be happy with imperial , colonial ect type older knives. thanks gordonjohn
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

gordonjohn wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:13 pm I think the higher prices will keep collectors like me from getting the more collectable knife, I guess I will just be happy with imperial , colonial ect type older knives. thanks gordonjohn
You never know Gord, I started out 2 years ago with my collection and from a cheap $20. Tac-Force stiletto as my very first purchase, I've since bought models costing $600. that I never had any intention of buying. I no longer have any familial responsibilities so my money is pretty much my money and I certainly don't mind spending it on something I love. There are plenty of knives out there that I would love to own but never will due to their prices, so I do like you and find contentment in the models I can afford. 8)
8)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”