Crazy asking prices

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Crazy asking prices

Post by royal0014 »

Preach it Brother Glen !
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

royal0014 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:12 am Preach it Brother Glen !
:lol: :lol: :lol:
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Glenn, that was an excellent post and perfectly worded.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sweetpieces4you

Post by Sweetpieces4you »

I am fully aware that this is a chitchat site and I have absolutely no problems with that !! I have used this site numerous times in the past for useful info. And I am grateful for that ::tu:: But this site is growing, and along with this growth comes more sellers like myself who can offer just about everyone on this site a quality product !! Are some prices high ?? Yes,some are, because the availability of them is low and thus making them more expensive to purchase to resell !! I’m not a EBay auction house or online auction house where people bring knives to me or offer to buy entire collections for pennies on a dollar :shock: I’m a independent seller who is not a one brand seller as I can offer many brands,types of knives!! I will sell mostly , not all, USA knives in here and sell the Germans,etc. elsewhere !! The point is, now that you know more sellers are joining AAPK the chitchat of High prices,I won’t buy anything because of the prices, etc,etc. can be very detrimental to a seller !! And that chitchat can and will affect the sales in here and hurt AAPK who spent the money for the stores and I’m sure hopes to get a nice return for that well spent money !! I do understand that people ask outrageous amounts of money for items and I do understand it can be a topic of conversation !! I was thinking of asking a couple of my seller friends to come join and sell in AAPK ::tu:: They are more Brand Specific and can offer many Pre Tested to Tested XX knives,etc. And they sell them on a regular basis ::tired:: at Very High Prices !! You are talking anywhere from $500 to $2500 or more ✌️ And that would increase the revenue of AAPK!! But not if you are going Post and Bash them for the high asking amounts of their items that they Sell at those Prices on a Regular Basis 😳 There’s no point in asking them to join !! Now it’s your Turn to Understand that AAPK is changing from a chitchat site to Both ✌️ Chitchat/Selling site ✌️and Sellers not only pay their membership monies to AAPK for revenue But can bring in Much more Revenue to the site with their selling / a lot more ✌️ This site is changing, the price of knives has gone up✌️ Times are changing and you have a choice to except it or not !! You All Have a Wonderful Day and All Take Care ✌️ PS : and Go in and look at what All The Sellers in AAPK have to Offer ✌️
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I was once a “whale” buyer and had an AAPK store but now that I’ve built my collections, I’m enjoying many other aspects of this hobby including engaging in meaningful conversations in the AAPK forums. I’ve sold some high-end knives here without any forum commentary whatsoever. If a knife is meritorious then nobody should have any challenges with selling here on AAPK at any price-point. Should a non-meritorious knife surface, the same meaningful conversations in the AAPK forums I spoke of earlier will solve the problem.

The same philosophy works for non-meritorious sellers and buyers in the AAPK stores.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Sweetpieces4you

Post by Sweetpieces4you »

Chitchat away ✌️If that’s what you like that’s fine by me✌️I have my own High End collection along with many other quality knives that I’m selling !! I’m here to sell a few and help the site make some money ✌️But this site is becoming more and more of a selling site everyday along with chitchat ✌️And you say Whale Buyer ?? Hmm, I guess you could say that about me as well ✌️But it’s 2021 now the prices have skyrocketed and it doesn’t take but a half hour or so to drop let’s say a few bucks ✌️
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I think it's up to Bryan what this site is and what it will become.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

glennbad wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:18 am I think it's up to Bryan what this site is and what it will become
Here Here, along with Google Analytics telling Bryan where the real traffic is page-by-page and hour-by-hour.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Sweetpieces stated:

"But this site is becoming more and more of a selling site everyday along with chitchat"

Au Contraire...ye of little knowledge of AAPK. By you making the above statement tells me you have no knowledge of the hidden treasures that are within the myriad of threads on this site. You have yet to 'explore' and discover the true meanings of this site and to fully understand the priceless interactions that mean more than mere $$$$.

This site has ALWAYS been a chitchat / selling site...where have you been? It's NOT "becoming", it always has been. You seem to be putting your thoughts and insight toward selling only...which is fine. But don't judge 95% of the members here because they choose to 'chitchat' about what is important to them in a way that selling is just as important to you. You are trying to sell your wares at the highest possible price, which you have a right to do. But many here are gaining, or have gained, FRIENDSHIPS through knowledgeable chitchat in a way that has become PRICELESS.

To each their own. But when one discovers the very fine balance between selling and chitchat, then and only then will they be able to enjoy the true meaning of this site known as AAPK.

I wish you all the luck, Sweetpieces in your endeavor of selling knives. But I encourage you to not only be a seller, but a chit-chatter too.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ooh Rah. Well said Ken. I wish I were that articulate.

Sweetpieces4you I'm not trying to convince the leopard to change it's spots but you strike me as the kind of individual that sees a knife and just sees dollar signs where I (and many other AAPK members) see artistry, function, history, mechanical beauty and a piece of work it could be put to. Go ahead and sell your knives, that's what the stores are for, and refrain from trying to convince others (and maybe yourself) what a God send you are to AAPK.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I don't understand why a couple of sellers get their feelings hurt when we discuss high prices. Most sellers don't.
This site has a lot of knife collectors. Discussing prices only makes sense.
Nothing was ever meant to be personal and it isn't until a seller gets mad and makes it that way.
Should we not discuss counterfeits because it will make the counterfeiters mad ::dang::
If your prices are fair and what you do is ethical, I would think sellers would be happy to have these discussions.
It probably brings more attention to their products.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 pm Ooh Rah. Well said Ken. I wish I were that articulate.

Sweetpieces4you I'm not trying to convince the leopard to change it's spots but you strike me as the kind of individual that sees a knife and just sees dollar signs where I (and many other AAPK members) see artistry, function, history, mechanical beauty and a piece of work it could be put to. Go ahead and sell your knives, that's what the stores are for, and refrain from trying to convince others (and maybe yourself) what a God send you are to AAPK.
::tu::
Eye Brand Collector
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 pm Ooh Rah. Well said Ken. I wish I were that articulate.

This is what really needed to be said. Thanks, Jerry...
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Loose Arrow wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:07 am ::handshake::
I'm new to selling knives and I welcome any constructive criticism. I jumped right in by setting high prices on my Bulldogs. I slash them down some and leave it open to offers because I like to encourage people to haggle with me. ::poke:: I deduce that this helps keep the tire kickers away and tries to engage and connect with people who actually appreciate my knives. ::handshake:: So far I'm enjoying AAPK and I've been doing what I can to drive more traffic to it. ::tu::
Thank you AAPK! I'm enjoying the banter 🍿 and the selling. Thanks again! ::handshake::
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

AAPK is like knife school to me. It can help you be a better buyer or seller. Knowledge is important in any business or endeavor. I sell a knife or two occasionally. When my son inherits my knives he will instantly become a knife dealer. lol But back to the topic of crazy asking prices. What sets me off more than anything and I realize it is perfectly legal. Is when I sell a knife or bid on a knife and it sells for like $50.00. Then I see it on ebay a week later for $199.00. There use to be a seller in AAPK store that did this. It runs all over me that here is some joker trying to take advantage of another uninformed person. Guess that is why I never sold used cars. There is also a counterfeit Jack Knife Ben knife in the store. Been discussed in counterfeit section before.
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

The whole idea about this thread, sticky whatever you want to call it was always going to be about " Chit-Chat ". That was it's intention when it was started on December the thirty first last year after a year of lockdown for many members. Sadly many people lost their lives last year to put things into perspective, but this thread was asking members their views on the increase in knife prices particularly over the last 12 months. As stated in other threads it did not only apply to knives but other collectable's for a myriad of reasons as people were most likely spending more time on their computers being restricted on what they could do.
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

-------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Jerry for posting this. I have been passive on this subject, but you have expressed my feelings perfectly.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

KLJ77 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:16 pm Sweetpieces stated:

"But this site is becoming more and more of a selling site everyday along with chitchat"

Au Contraire...ye of little knowledge of AAPK. By you making the above statement tells me you have no knowledge of the hidden treasures that are within the myriad of threads on this site. You have yet to 'explore' and discover the true meanings of this site and to fully understand the priceless interactions that mean more than mere $$$$.

This site has ALWAYS been a chitchat / selling site...where have you been? It's NOT "becoming", it always has been. You seem to be putting your thoughts and insight toward selling only...which is fine. But don't judge 95% of the members here because they choose to 'chitchat' about what is important to them in a way that selling is just as important to you. You are trying to sell your wares at the highest possible price, which you have a right to do. But many here are gaining, or have gained, FRIENDSHIPS through knowledgeable chitchat in a way that has become PRICELESS.

To each their own. But when one discovers the very fine balance between selling and chitchat, then and only then will they be able to enjoy the true meaning of this site known as AAPK.

I wish you all the luck, Sweetpieces in your endeavor of selling knives. But I encourage you to not only be a seller, but a chit-chatter too.
Very well stated Ken, thank you! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Extremely well put Jerry! Thanks for stating what myself and others couldn't find the right words to say! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sweetpieces! You've been a member here for less than 2 weeks with only 30 posts and already you know the detailed inner workings of this site? I think not. It's fine for you to sell your knives at whatever price you like, your final yearly sales receipts will tell the tale. If your prices are reasonable for what you're offering the figures will reflect that, if not, well you can guess the rest. You state that this site is becoming more and more of a "selling site" and less of a "chit-chat site", in your 2 weeks how could you possibly know that? There are members here who have been active and still are from the very beginning, and many of them aren't sellers, so why do they participate everyday after all this time? I'll tell you why. It's for the knowledge, companionship, banter, posting, viewing, and occasionally buying. If this was strictly a selling site it would be called Ebay, not AAPK. You've ruffled some feathers with your comments but no one wishes to see you fail, so please continue to sell your product, but in the meantime try to understand how much more AAPK is than just a site to sell knives. When I log-in each day it's certainly not to simply browse like Ebay, but to see how my friends are doing and hopefully learn a thing or two. No one is against you here, take the time to get to know us, and give us a chance to get to know you. Best of luck with your store! 8)
8)
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

As the good folks here have said, slow down and get to know folks OR you can keep digging this HOLE deeper ,that up to you .Sweetpieces :)
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Sweetpieces4you, I hope that you DO hang around enough to sell many knives, AND also build these friendships that we are talking about. There is so much knowledge here, more than any one person could ever soak up (though I often try!). Reading through many of these posts will help you to be a better seller, and I want that for you!
This thread began by lamenting the sudden rise in knife prices. That does hurt some buyers who have little money to invest. But it also helps knife sellers who are hard-working people themselves, trying to make an honest living. It is only an honest complaint, not an attack on sellers.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Reverand wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:16 pm Sweetpieces4you, I hope that you DO hang around enough to sell many knives, AND also build these friendships that we are talking about. There is so much knowledge here, more than any one person could ever soak up (though I often try!). Reading through many of these posts will help you to be a better seller, and I want that for you!
This thread began by lamenting the sudden rise in knife prices. That does hurt some buyers who have little money to invest. But it also helps knife sellers who are hard-working people themselves, trying to make an honest living. It is only an honest complaint, not an attack on sellers.
Very nice sentiment, Reverend...
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Reverand wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:16 pm Sweetpieces4you, I hope that you DO hang around enough to sell many knives, AND also build these friendships that we are talking about. There is so much knowledge here, more than any one person could ever soak up (though I often try!). Reading through many of these posts will help you to be a better seller, and I want that for you!
::tu:: ::nod::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Well, I have read most of this thread. Yes selling prices are up compared to the past several years. But factoring in the value of the dollar they are way down from 20-30 years ago.
Referring to eBay selling practices, the very vocal poster who mentioned "tricks", his favorite one is using the word "Lot" in the title of every listing including single items. Yes, it is a common trick but it is despised by many, me included. 1=1, 2 is a pair, 3 or more is a lot(or group)
Another of his "tricks" is using "Antique" in the titles, sometimes with knives as new as 1970's Antiques are 75-100 or more years old.
Seems to work fine for him but I won't go down that road.
I've been selling on eBay for almost 20 years so I've seen it all & heard it all.
Just started selling on AAPK a few weeks ago after I actually joined. I have used the site for research for years.
I participate in the fun chit chat and ask questions and try to help if possible. That is what a well run forum is all about. The ability to sell here is a big bonus.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...

Return to “General Knife Discussion”