Crazy asking prices

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
cudgee

Re: Crazy asking prices

Post by cudgee »

The whole idea about this thread, sticky whatever you want to call it was always going to be about " Chit-Chat ". That was it's intention when it was started on December the thirty first last year after a year of lockdown for many members. Sadly many people lost their lives last year to put things into perspective, but this thread was asking members their views on the increase in knife prices particularly over the last 12 months. As stated in other threads it did not only apply to knives but other collectable's for a myriad of reasons as people were most likely spending more time on their computers being restricted on what they could do.
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 pm Ooh Rah. Well said Ken. I wish I were that articulate.

Sweetpieces4you I'm not trying to convince the leopard to change it's spots but you strike me as the kind of individual that sees a knife and just sees dollar signs where I (and many other AAPK members) see artistry, function, history, mechanical beauty and a piece of work it could be put to. Go ahead and sell your knives, that's what the stores are for, and refrain from trying to convince others (and maybe yourself) what a God send you are to AAPK.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Jerry for posting this. I have been passive on this subject, but you have expressed my feelings perfectly.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

KLJ77 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:16 pm Sweetpieces stated:

"But this site is becoming more and more of a selling site everyday along with chitchat"

Au Contraire...ye of little knowledge of AAPK. By you making the above statement tells me you have no knowledge of the hidden treasures that are within the myriad of threads on this site. You have yet to 'explore' and discover the true meanings of this site and to fully understand the priceless interactions that mean more than mere $$$$.

This site has ALWAYS been a chitchat / selling site...where have you been? It's NOT "becoming", it always has been. You seem to be putting your thoughts and insight toward selling only...which is fine. But don't judge 95% of the members here because they choose to 'chitchat' about what is important to them in a way that selling is just as important to you. You are trying to sell your wares at the highest possible price, which you have a right to do. But many here are gaining, or have gained, FRIENDSHIPS through knowledgeable chitchat in a way that has become PRICELESS.

To each their own. But when one discovers the very fine balance between selling and chitchat, then and only then will they be able to enjoy the true meaning of this site known as AAPK.

I wish you all the luck, Sweetpieces in your endeavor of selling knives. But I encourage you to not only be a seller, but a chit-chatter too.
Very well stated Ken, thank you! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 pm Ooh Rah. Well said Ken. I wish I were that articulate.

Sweetpieces4you I'm not trying to convince the leopard to change it's spots but you strike me as the kind of individual that sees a knife and just sees dollar signs where I (and many other AAPK members) see artistry, function, history, mechanical beauty and a piece of work it could be put to. Go ahead and sell your knives, that's what the stores are for, and refrain from trying to convince others (and maybe yourself) what a God send you are to AAPK.
Extremely well put Jerry! Thanks for stating what myself and others couldn't find the right words to say! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sweetpieces! You've been a member here for less than 2 weeks with only 30 posts and already you know the detailed inner workings of this site? I think not. It's fine for you to sell your knives at whatever price you like, your final yearly sales receipts will tell the tale. If your prices are reasonable for what you're offering the figures will reflect that, if not, well you can guess the rest. You state that this site is becoming more and more of a "selling site" and less of a "chit-chat site", in your 2 weeks how could you possibly know that? There are members here who have been active and still are from the very beginning, and many of them aren't sellers, so why do they participate everyday after all this time? I'll tell you why. It's for the knowledge, companionship, banter, posting, viewing, and occasionally buying. If this was strictly a selling site it would be called Ebay, not AAPK. You've ruffled some feathers with your comments but no one wishes to see you fail, so please continue to sell your product, but in the meantime try to understand how much more AAPK is than just a site to sell knives. When I log-in each day it's certainly not to simply browse like Ebay, but to see how my friends are doing and hopefully learn a thing or two. No one is against you here, take the time to get to know us, and give us a chance to get to know you. Best of luck with your store! 8)
8)
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

As the good folks here have said, slow down and get to know folks OR you can keep digging this HOLE deeper ,that up to you .Sweetpieces :)
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Sweetpieces4you, I hope that you DO hang around enough to sell many knives, AND also build these friendships that we are talking about. There is so much knowledge here, more than any one person could ever soak up (though I often try!). Reading through many of these posts will help you to be a better seller, and I want that for you!
This thread began by lamenting the sudden rise in knife prices. That does hurt some buyers who have little money to invest. But it also helps knife sellers who are hard-working people themselves, trying to make an honest living. It is only an honest complaint, not an attack on sellers.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Reverand wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:16 pm Sweetpieces4you, I hope that you DO hang around enough to sell many knives, AND also build these friendships that we are talking about. There is so much knowledge here, more than any one person could ever soak up (though I often try!). Reading through many of these posts will help you to be a better seller, and I want that for you!
This thread began by lamenting the sudden rise in knife prices. That does hurt some buyers who have little money to invest. But it also helps knife sellers who are hard-working people themselves, trying to make an honest living. It is only an honest complaint, not an attack on sellers.
Very nice sentiment, Reverend...
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Reverand wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:16 pm Sweetpieces4you, I hope that you DO hang around enough to sell many knives, AND also build these friendships that we are talking about. There is so much knowledge here, more than any one person could ever soak up (though I often try!). Reading through many of these posts will help you to be a better seller, and I want that for you!
::tu:: ::nod::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Well, I have read most of this thread. Yes selling prices are up compared to the past several years. But factoring in the value of the dollar they are way down from 20-30 years ago.
Referring to eBay selling practices, the very vocal poster who mentioned "tricks", his favorite one is using the word "Lot" in the title of every listing including single items. Yes, it is a common trick but it is despised by many, me included. 1=1, 2 is a pair, 3 or more is a lot(or group)
Another of his "tricks" is using "Antique" in the titles, sometimes with knives as new as 1970's Antiques are 75-100 or more years old.
Seems to work fine for him but I won't go down that road.
I've been selling on eBay for almost 20 years so I've seen it all & heard it all.
Just started selling on AAPK a few weeks ago after I actually joined. I have used the site for research for years.
I participate in the fun chit chat and ask questions and try to help if possible. That is what a well run forum is all about. The ability to sell here is a big bonus.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Boji wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:05 am Well, I have read most of this thread. Yes selling prices are up compared to the past 5-10 years. But factoring in the value of the dollar they are way down from 20-30 years ago.
Referring to eBay selling practices, the very vocal poster who mentioned "tricks", his favorite one is using the word "Lot" in the title of every listing including single items. Yes, it is a common trick but it is despised by many, me included. 1=1, 2 is a pair, 3 or more is a lot(or group)
Another of his "tricks" is using "Antique" in the titles, sometimes with knives as new as 1970's Antiques are 75-100 or more years old.
Seems to work fine for him but I won't go down that road.
I've been selling on eBay for almost 20 years so I've seen it all & heard it all.
Just started selling on AAPK a few weeks ago after I actually joined. I have used the site for research for years.
I participate in the fun chit chat and ask questions and try to help if possible. That is what a well run forum is all about. The ability to sell here is a big bonus.

::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I don’t think he is coming back. 😏
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

jmh58 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:56 pm I don’t think he is coming back. 😏
John ✌️
He was logged on today.
Hopefully he'll come around and chit chat for a while. :)
Find out we're really not all that bad :D
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I like how this knife community rallied together without any orchestration and everybody took a different position that were all equally valid. Nobody was bullied and a healthy debate ensued. I hope for zero member carnage as a result of this topic ::nod::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

bestgear wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:05 pm I like how this knife community rallied together without any orchestration and everybody took a different position that were all equally valid. Nobody was bullied and a healthy debate ensued. I hope for zero member carnage as a result of this topic ::nod::
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

cudgee wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:11 pm
bestgear wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:05 pm I like how this knife community rallied together without any orchestration and everybody took a different position that were all equally valid. Nobody was bullied and a healthy debate ensued. I hope for zero member carnage as a result of this topic ::nod::
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
I agree. I always look at it this way. A person who sells can ask what they want. Some may think it is a valid price, some may think it is overpriced. There will always be deals, and there will always be those wanting to make a killing. The bottom line is, A person can ask what they like,but that doesn't mean I will pay it.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

I agree. I always look at it this way. A person who sells can ask what they want. Some may think it is a valid price, some may think it is overpriced. There will always be deals, and there will always be those wanting to make a killing. The bottom line is, A person can ask what they like,but that doesn't mean I will pay it.
[/quote]

::tu:: my thoughts exactly.
Eye Brand Collector
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

For what it's worth I'm going to comment on the irony of this thread. The seller who obviously didn't like to be criticized ::facepalm:: was most definitely criticized but the one seller in here who actually values criticism tried numerous times to engage ::handshake::. with the "group" to no avail. ::hmm::
Most, if not all people who have interacted with me on AAPK have done so very amicably but I will admit that I have already had a very bad experience [edited] over less than a couple bucks but I'm over it.
Have a great day,
Ron
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

If I don't like a price I just don't buy it. Sometimes that works and I later find one at a better price. Sometimes I buy something and still find it at a better price later, but doesn't matter because I wouldn't have paid what I did if I didn't want it that bad. :D
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:38 am For what it's worth I'm going to comment on the irony of this thread. The seller who obviously didn't like to be criticized ::facepalm:: was most definitely criticized but the one seller in here who actually values criticism tried numerous times to engage ::handshake::. with the "group" to no avail. ::hmm::
Most, if not all people who have interacted with me on AAPK have done so very amicably but I will admit that I have already had a very bad experience ::censored:: with a long-time member on here. I defended myself accordingly and will promptly do so again, if need be. Strong reciprocity.
Have a great day, ::groove::
Ron
Can you explain this post? Maybe I'm stupid, but it makes no sense to me.
David
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

edge213 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:40 am
The gist of it, in layman terms, is that I'm new to selling knives and I welcomed any constructive criticism this group could provide yet all I got was ....crickets....

...and the attachment was to show context, that there's rip-offs on both sides. Yes, I'd like to list my knives significantly cheaper because I'm very open to dealing with people but [edited] I can't afford to give them away.

I handled this particular situation with as much respect as I could but was later infuriated by his lack of respect for my knife. The [edited] knife was returned loose and unprotected. 😡

I enjoy the extra income this provides me but I possess real tangible trade skills, I don't need to play selling games to turn a buck, I turn wrenches for that instead.

So, to get the best prices from me you just have to approach me with respect and I will afford you the same.

Got advise for me? Feel free to share it, I've always been open to learning.

Hope that clarified my input to this conversation.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:17 am
The gist of it, in layman terms, is that I'm new to selling knives and I welcomed any constructive criticism this group could provide yet all I got was ....crickets....

...and the attachment was to show context, that there's rip-offs on both sides. Yes, I'd like to list my knives significantly cheaper because I'm very open to dealing with people but I'm not going to give away any of my knives just to be cool with anyone, including old-timers.

I handled this particular situation with as much respect as I could but was later infuriated by his lack of respect for my knife. The long-time member, either out of spite or because he's just a POS, returned a knife back to me loose and unprotected. 😡

I enjoy the extra income this is providing me but I possess real tangible trade skills, I don't need to play selling games to turn a buck, I turn wrenches for that instead.

So, to get the best prices from me you just have to approach me with respect and I will afford you the same.

Maybe you as a seller aren't creating any/many issues requiring criticism. Sellers that create drama usually bubble to the surface and things end up getting "sorted".
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:17 am

...and the attachment was to show context, that there's rip-offs on both sides. Yes, I'd like to list my knives significantly cheaper because I'm very open to dealing with people but I'm not going to give away any of my knives just to be cool with anyone, including old-timers.

I handled this particular situation with as much respect as I could but was later infuriated by his lack of respect for my knife. The long-time member, either out of spite or because he's just a POS, returned a knife back to me loose and unprotected. 😡

I enjoy the extra income this is providing me but I possess real tangible trade skills, I don't need to play selling games to turn a buck, I turn wrenches for that instead.

Thank you sir for the explanation ::tu::
David
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

edge213 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:28 pm
Thank you sir for the explanation ::tu::
Not a problem ::handshake::
glennbad wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:14 pm
Maybe you as a seller aren't creating any/many issues requiring criticism. Sellers that create drama usually bubble to the surface and things end up getting "sorted".
::handshake::

Thanks! I appreciate your point of view. ::tu::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Loose Arrow,

If you've only had one issue with a buyer, you must be doing something right! I buy, sell and trade guitars. I've been collecting pocket knives for 40+ years.I know a lot about some things, not much about others.I can't believe some of the things buyers have tried to pull on me over the years. Some people just can't be pleased.

If you describe your knives to the best of your ability, answer questions in a timely manner, again to the best of your ability, and put a fair price on them, you can't be expected to do any more. I found out a long time ago that you just can't please everyone. All I ask for in a seller is to just do what you say you're going to do, and be responsive. There are people on this forum that have forgotten way more that I will ever know, and that's what I love about this place. 90+ percent of my interactions with other members have been very positive, and I've never really had any "bad" ones. An occasional misunderstanding is all. I can't ask for much more on an internet forum.

I think the issue in this situation was a new seller that was a little over zealous at letting us know how it is done, and when it was pointed out, he doubled down, and took it as an attack. We are much more that a "chit-chat" group here, and I think that comment kind of got under the skin of many members. I hope he will settle in and enjoy the AAPK for all it has to offer, which is plentiful, and not just as a "selling outlet". If he chooses to use it just for selling, I'm sure that's fine too, just do it with respect. I hope you sell a bunch of knives, and get some deals along the way too. Good luck in the future! Thanks for letting me get on my soapbox.. ::handshake::

Kerry

Return to “General Knife Discussion”