Collinsville Trade Day

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Collinsville Trade Day

Post by royal0014 »

I've been to Collinsville T.D. a few times, usually April or Sept.
Bought a couple knives, too. Have had better luck there than Mountaintop!
Won't be long before I make another trip.
Guess I'll need to wear my AAPK hat ....
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Ole Joe Clark

Post by Ole Joe Clark »

In years past you could, and probably still can, buy anything from mules, to knives, to squirrel dogs, to guns, to you name it, it's probably there.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Fun to see what knife shows used to actually look like - I miss those days
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
jholcomb

Post by jholcomb »

royal0014 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:20 am I've been to Collinsville T.D. a few times, usually April or Sept.
Bought a couple knives, too. Have had better luck there than Mountaintop!
Won't be long before I make another trip.
Guess I'll need to wear my AAPK hat ....
I'll be looking for that AAPK hat. If I see ya, I'll buy your breakfast!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Two of the best vintage knives I ever bought were at Collinsville. One was a large Holly Coke bottle jack and the other a Remington. Sold both to Joe Seale for considerable profit.

My Dad used to sell guns there. Collinsville Trade Day in January or February in the 2950’s could be absolutely miserable.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Looks and sounds a lot like some of the trade days we have around here, like First Monday in Canton and Third Monday in McKinney. They stopped selling/trading animals at McKinney a few years ago - no more dogs, chickens and ducks, etc. Don’t know why but I can guess.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jholcomb

Post by jholcomb »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:47 pm Looks and sounds a lot like some of the trade days we have around here, like First Monday in Canton and Third Monday in McKinney. They stopped selling/trading animals at McKinney a few years ago - no more dogs, chickens and ducks, etc. Don’t know why but I can guess.

Ken
The animal business at Collinsville isn't what it once was, but still very much alive. You can find everything from goats to game roosters.
jholcomb

Post by jholcomb »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:22 pm Two of the best vintage knives I ever bought were at Collinsville. One was a large Holly Coke bottle jack and the other a Remington. Sold both to Joe Seale for considerable profit.

My Dad used to sell guns there. Collinsville Trade Day in January or February in the 2950’s could be absolutely miserable.
It can be pretty miserable in the 2020s!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Yeah, my post was future-tense and I cannot edit it now. ::facepalm::

Meant 1950's, of course. ::tu::

I remember the TV weather reports daily stating the coldest temp in the state was at Valley Head, just up the road a bit from Collinsville.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
jholcomb

Post by jholcomb »

Here's some stuff from today.
Attachments
PXL_20210227_160351324.jpg
PXL_20210227_160330781.jpg
16144423165745609327654236310090.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Amazing. :shock: :shock:
Ole Joe Clark

Post by Ole Joe Clark »

I'll take that one, that one over there and that other one. :-)

Today would have been a great day to be there.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

jholcomb wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:12 pm Here's some stuff from today.
jholcomb,
Are these your knives or did you run across a feller with a suitcase full of loose knives, how do you deal with this? Somebody must enjoy the dickering or is there a sign indicating price? I'd love to go through that pile of knives and those in the first two pictures are really fine! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

jholcomb wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:12 pmHere's some stuff from today.
You and I must have not been at the trade day on the same Saturday.
I have never seen that many knives there at one time! We're gonna have to schedule a Saturday .. :mrgreen:
::handshake::

By the way, I have (or had) family on Sand Mountain. I believe they're all deceased now.
A whole passel of Bryants buried at Pleasant View off hwy 71 northeast of Dutton .
Chris
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

There used to be multiple knife dealers there. One guy had a covered booth built on his spot and that's all he sold. Others worked out of their car trunks or pick-up beds with folding tables. Some just walked around with a satchel full of knives or a Knife-Pak, knife roll or such.

Collinsville knife trading kind of worked like the courthouse steps at The County Seat on Saturday. Knives flew back and forth between hands and you had to keep up with yours to make sure it either came back to you or ended up in the hands of someone that was giving you like in return. Lots of times, there was no money involved at all, just knives and handshakes.

You could get skinned alive in that game if you didn't know your knives. Had to know the banter, too. It was like a second language. If you couldn't shuffle half a dozen knives in one hand, you were an amateur. Sometimes it was a team sport. They would gang up on you. I'm not talking about dishonesty or theft, just how the game was played.

It was a blast. ::tu::

And you wouldn't believe the quality rifles and high grade shotguns that were there in the 50's.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
jholcomb

Post by jholcomb »

treefarmer wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:33 am
jholcomb wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:12 pm Here's some stuff from today.
jholcomb,
Are these your knives or did you run across a feller with a suitcase full of loose knives, how do you deal with this? Somebody must enjoy the dickering or is there a sign indicating price? I'd love to go through that pile of knives and those in the first two pictures are really fine! ::tu::
Treefarmer
The pictures are from several fellers who have booths at trade day, I am one of those fellers, and some of the pictures are of my stuff. We have quite a few knife dealers, and none that I know of have signs or stickers as to price. You just walk up, say howdy, and whatcha askin fer that'n...
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jholcomb

Post by jholcomb »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:14 am There used to be multiple knife dealers there. One guy had a covered booth built on his spot and that's all he sold. Others worked out of their car trunks or pick-up beds with folding tables. Some just walked around with a satchel full of knives or a Knife-Pak, knife roll or such.

Collinsville knife trading kind of worked like the courthouse steps at The County Seat on Saturday. Knives flew back and forth between hands and you had to keep up with yours to make sure it either came back to you or ended up in the hands of someone that was giving you like in return. Lots of times, there was no money involved at all, just knives and handshakes.

You could get skinned alive in that game if you didn't know your knives. Had to know the banter, too. It was like a second language. If you couldn't shuffle half a dozen knives in one hand, you were an amateur. Sometimes it was a team sport. They would gang up on you. I'm not talking about dishonesty or theft, just how the game was played.

And you wouldn't believe the quality rifles and high grade shotguns that were there in the 50's.

Charlie Noyes
For the most part that's how it still is. There are lots of covered booths nowadays, mine included. The gun traders took a big hit 15 or 20 years ago, but there are still a handful there.
jholcomb

Post by jholcomb »

royal0014 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:11 am
jholcomb wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:12 pmHere's some stuff from today.
You and I must have not been at the trade day on the same Saturday.
I have never seen that many knives there at one time! We're gonna have to schedule a Saturday .. :mrgreen:
::handshake::

By the way, I have (or had) family on Sand Mountain. I believe they're all deceased now.
A whole passel of Bryants buried at Pleasant View off hwy 71 northeast of Dutton .
You just let me know... I'll be there, Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

I've passed through Dutton a time or two. That's north sand mountain, I live further south in the upper part of Etowah county.
jholcomb

Post by jholcomb »

jholcomb wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:24 am
RobesonsRme.com wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:14 am There used to be multiple knife dealers there. One guy had a covered booth built on his spot and that's all he sold. Others worked out of their car trunks or pick-up beds with folding tables. Some just walked around with a satchel full of knives or a Knife-Pak, knife roll or such.

Charlie Noyes
For the most part that's how it still is. There are lots of covered booths nowadays, mine included. The gun traders took a big hit 15 or 20 years ago, but there are still a handful there.
I'll add that there's not nearly as many knife dealers there as there used to be either. But, there are a few of us that keep that tradition alive. That said, there's something there for most everybody, from peanuts to porch swings!
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

::ds:: Roll Tide Roll!!! A tide of classic pocket Knives.. ::groove:: ...and fixed blades too...
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

I am planning to head over this next Saturday. Will update on Friday
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Wife and I are heading up this morning.
::ds::
Chris
jholcomb

Post by jholcomb »

royal0014 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:13 am Wife and I are heading up this morning.
::ds::
Glad y'all came up. Good talking to ya, hope y'all come again. And you're right... I need to get in here more.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”