2021 POS Roundtable

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
cody6268

Re: 2021 POS Roundtable

Post by cody6268 »

treefarmer wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:10 am These POS Roundtables are always so much fun! My package arrived today and I just a few minutes ago was brave enough to open it. There was a hermetically sealed ziplock back full of knives in the USPS box! A quick look see and I saw there were some pretty good ones in this pile. But what caught my attention was the one wrapped in the yellow note pad page. Thank you, Glen! A wonderful old Schrade Walden 291 that has been rehandled by Glennbad himself. It's a handle match to a little 34OT he sent me during the 2020 Secret Santa round! I'm not up to digesting all the other items tonight but I'll get to it in a day or so. I did pop open the old TL-29 electrician knife and noticed a stamp I'm not familiar with, ROYAL BRAND? ::shrug:: It'll be fun and I will follow up in a day or so. 001.JPG008.JPG
Treefarmer
I did some digging here, and that Royal Brand was in business from 1914-1954, and that TL-29 looks prewar.

That 291 is gorgeous!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

treefarmer wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:10 am These POS Roundtables are always so much fun! My package arrived today and I just a few minutes ago was brave enough to open it. There was a hermetically sealed ziplock back full of knives in the USPS box! A quick look see and I saw there were some pretty good ones in this pile. But what caught my attention was the one wrapped in the yellow note pad page. Thank you, Glen! A wonderful old Schrade Walden 291 that has been rehandled by Glennbad himself. It's a handle match to a little 34OT he sent me during the 2020 Secret Santa round! I'm not up to digesting all the other items tonight but I'll get to it in a day or so. I did pop open the old TL-29 electrician knife and noticed a stamp I'm not familiar with, ROYAL BRAND? ::shrug:: It'll be fun and I will follow up in a day or so. 001.JPG008.JPG
Treefarmer
Philip, that trapper is a treasure. Glenn is both talented and generous. ::nod:: ::nod::
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

So Meridian Mike sent me a crap load of crap but I actually put most right into my little collection after playing with them a bit. But my absolute treasure turned out to be an old Imperial 3 blade knife. 3 1/4 inches of rusty blades and peeling lacquer on the handle which after some scrubbing and oiling has replaced my 34OT as my secondary EDC. I really love it.
Attachments
DSC_4172.JPG
DSC_4173.JPG
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:54 pm Peeeeeewwwwww-eeeeeeee
Mike, that large lockback looks like a Kabar that was the
subject of a recent thread here ..... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70259&p=902438&hilit=Kabar#p902438
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

I just received my POS from David.My son I couldn't open until he got home. A Boker ,with a missing round shield of course, Imperial,Colonial a Hammer Brand my son wants to replace the gassed handles and some China crap.Also a very nice Colonial Anvil stockman, Thanks David.
Attachments
P4091764.JPG
P4091765.JPG
P4091766.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I received my package from Bladebuddy yesterday. I tried to let it air out overnight, but that was a mistake as it is raining now and we are stuck in the house with it.

I opened it and was shocked to see some of MY poo! Here are 4 that I had sent to Bladebuddy last year in our Covid POS! I laughed pretty hard when I sent this to him, but now I am crying tears of frustration at getting it back Talk about a dirty trick...
1618062417736.jpg
Then he piled on some more crap (It is clear that he plays this game at Expert level)
1618062389827.jpg
I never knew that Buck made a bad US knife before today!

Then came some treasures.
1618062368943.jpg
This solid-bolster antique Imperial Is my idea of a perfect project knife! The pen blade has a worn tang and will not close all of the way, but I can already see myself rehandling this baby as a single-blade EDC!

He included 4 beautiful slabs of Wenge wood scales,
1618062313391.jpg
Then this beautiful Old Cutler stockman that looks unused, and has a dark etch. At first glance it is the twin to my Colonial-made Ranger, but is much higher quality.
1618062352201.jpg
All-in-all, a great POS exchange!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Reverand, if the good cancels out the bad then you did good. Oh the pain of having stuff you thought you were rid of returned. But that Old Cutler is really a great knife. I think you came out on the positive side. ::nod:: ::nod::
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Reverand , I’m sorry you got some of your old POS. My inventory of crap was low so I had to regift some stuff to you.
Glad you are going to rehandle the Imperial, I thought it had potential.
You might want try to rehandle the Old Cutler. Jeffinn sent me one he did in wormgrooved bone. Looks great. ::groove::
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

Got home safe from PCB to a putrid odor from the mailbox...

Unfortunately one of the stones did not survive the journey
282217B7-6867-4B77-9640-F9134995F244.jpeg
79EC89D2-D72B-4E97-A54B-BFB391ECAC5C.jpeg
40183263-865C-434F-B89A-A6373E3A3F12.jpeg
The Simmons Hardware Austria pearl handled knife is awesome!!!
The Case will get cleaned and used
The surviving stones will go to the boys.
The sharpening paperweight is the first I’ve ever seen!
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Reverand wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:10 pm I never knew that Buck made a bad US knife before today!
I had one of those Buck 425s as a kid. Back then, I thought it was pretty awesome. I intend to get another, even if solely as a piece of nostalgia.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

bladebuddy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:54 pm Reverand , I’m sorry you got some of your old POS. My inventory of crap was low so I had to regift some stuff to you.
Glad you are going to rehandle the Imperial, I thought it had potential.
You might want try to rehandle the Old Cutler. Jeffinn sent me one he did in wormgrooved bone. Looks great. ::groove::
Don't be sorry, I had a blast! My wife couldn't understand why I enjoyed that so much, but it is hilarious to me.
I have seen pictures of knives that "make the rounds" of POS exchange every year, and I am glad to have knives that are that bad!
You are right, that Imperial has A lot of potential. And I may rehandle the Olde Cutler, or I may just carry it as-is. That is a good knife! Thank you!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Jody744 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:09 pm Got home safe from PCB to a putrid odor from the mailbox...

Unfortunately one of the stones did not survive the journey

The Simmons Hardware Austria pearl handled knife is awesome!!!
The Case will get cleaned and used
The surviving stones will go to the boys.
The sharpening paperweight is the first I’ve ever seen!
Oops. I didn't know the sharpening stones were fragile.
The "sharpening paperweight" is called a Pocket Stone.
I have about a dozen of them, all advertisers.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Cody, a pretty knice pile. ::tu:: ::tu::

Boji, it was suppose to be a POS, the USPS just helped you out. ::tounge:: ::tounge::
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I just checked the tracking on my incoming POS pkg, it will be stinking up the local PO over the rest of the weekend.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Boji wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:06 am I just checked the tracking on my incoming POS pkg, it will be stinking up the local PO over the rest of the weekend.
It's their own %$&@ fault...it was supposed to have been delivered today. ::dang::

I just hope the box doesn't disintegrate from the pent-up fumes! ::facepalm::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Picked up my package from Loose Arrow yesterday. The postal employees had long since abandoned their posts. There were patrons outside waiting 'til it was safe to enter. The looks of admiration and gratitude I got when I emerged with the offending package were priceless. Thankfully I had the foresight to bring the pickup so the trip home was uneventful.
First out of the chute was a steak knife with Scotch tape holding handle and blade together- well played sir.
Then in rapid succession came two knives from the same place in China; Stain-Less, a gassy celluloid, and a shackle-less Kamp King that says "can opener" on the can opener, no doubt so it wouldn't be mistaken for an albatross or a '65 Mustang.
After that came a German made SAK wannabe with an awl that looks more like a marlinspike. Since I'm a sucker for a good marlinspike I'll save it.
I'll also save the Craftsman electrician's knife, (I didn't know they made one) and the Japanese made Hobo, mostly because I have one like it in a different color.
All in all a pretty good haul, even if the celluloid is going to be quarantined in the garage. Thanks to Loose Arrow.
Bruce
Attachments
pos gets 2021.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A very worthy example of POS. Hope your garage is separate from the house. Also might want to leave the door up. :lol: :lol:
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Berryb wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:28 pm Picked up my package from Loose Arrow yesterday. The postal employees had long since abandoned their posts. There were patrons outside waiting 'til it was safe to enter. The looks of admiration and gratitude I got when I emerged with the offending package were priceless. Thankfully I had the foresight to bring the pickup so the trip home was uneventful.
First out of the chute was a steak knife with Scotch tape holding handle and blade together- well played sir.
Then in rapid succession came two knives from the same place in China; Stain-Less, a gassy celluloid, and a shackle-less Kamp King that says "can opener" on the can opener, no doubt so it wouldn't be mistaken for an albatross or a '65 Mustang.
After that came a German made SAK wannabe with an awl that looks more like a marlinspike. Since I'm a sucker for a good marlinspike I'll save it.
I'll also save the Craftsman electrician's knife, (I didn't know they made one) and the Japanese made Hobo, mostly because I have one like it in a different color.
All in all a pretty good haul, even if the celluloid is going to be quarantined in the garage. Thanks to Loose Arrow.
Bruce
::handshake::
Bruce, what a good sport! ::super_happy:: I thought after seeing some of these other pos packages that you'd be quite disappointed in yours. Now next time I know to send more pos's. ::doh:: I was able to read that celluloid's tang, Syracuse Knife Co. Syracuse NY. discontinued in the '30's. Take care!
Attachments
20210404_111902.jpg
Sundog Knives

Post by Sundog Knives »

Well doglegg after my son and I opened your box on Friday night we’ve both suffered mild inhalation and just now able to report the findings. Nice group of standard crap but few users esp. Schrade folding hunter and few for Olde Cutler to resleeve. Son grabbed multi-tool items with excitement so always appreciate this exchange to include him. Both kids enjoyed the M&Ms , thank you.
345D4990-2F80-4C33-ABDF-96A082F44594.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Glad they finally got there. And glad the kids enjoyed as well. Good to keep OC busy. Thanks. ::handshake::
us2

Post by us2 »

I received my Pile of Stuff package this weekend. Thanks so much !! It’s like Christmas in April!! I appreciate all the people who made this possible. I added another NRA knife to my collection, I also now have another Buck Creek knife, Old Timer is the first knife I ever owned and I love the 34OT pattern in carbon steel. The fact that this one has a missing blade is only a minor disappointment. I now have a Colonial knife added to my collection. I didn’t realize Kershaw made some knives in China. I have a few new pen knives that will be good for my grandsons to learn about carrying a pocket knife. I have a great little pen knife with steel handles from Crown cutlery (never heard of) but I love that little knife and it will have a honored place in my truck console. Those Barlows will wind up in the tool box of my 3 tractors and will hopefully keep me from sticking a good pocketknife into a bad situation. Overall I have learned some things about knives, I got some new stuff and I had a little fun in the process.... THANKS AGAIN !!
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Sundog sent me a variety of excrement. It arrived today before lunch but now I’ve lost my appetite ::mdm:: A good mix of foreign and domestic products. The bone handled electricians knife has one good scale on the pile side if anyone needs it. It’s a Camillus. The eagle scrimshaw knife is quite nice, thanks Sundog.
Attachments
0E5715E1-D4DC-4DC3-AD30-CC12AACA6195.jpeg
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Kolvir, you sure know how this game is played! Apparently this must have stunk so bad nobody wanted to touch it, so it looks like they kicked it all the way here. Luckily, there wasn't too much valuable in there, so no harm done.
POS2021-2.jpg

Opening it up, I wasn't overtaken by fumes or anything, so far so good...
POS2021-1.jpg

Here's my haul. A Kutmaster rope knife that looks decent, a Demo knife knock-off that's not too bad, and some cool rusty keys. The rest? Well, they don't call it the POS for nothing. Well played, Andy!
POS2021-3.jpg
us2

Post by us2 »

I forgot to mention this Rough Rider that came in my POS pile this weekend. My wife likes it and wants me to sharpen it so she can carry it in her purse.... A good time was had by all!!

I once turned my nose up at knives from China but these guys are changing my mind. I tend to collect knives that I can carry. I have a hard time carrying a knife that cost $2-300. These guys at Rough Rider have a lot to offer for under $25 .
Attachments
5AAFF19C-711F-49DE-AF70-009ECCD01820.jpeg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”