What Do You Think?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
just bob

What Do You Think?

Post by just bob »

I don't think I'd buy one. Actually I have some ivory from piano keys and thought of doing a Zippo while back. Much easier than putting handles on a knife.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZIPPO-LIGHTER- ... SwnFZgbQTN
Attachments
lighter.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Dan In MI

Re: What Do You Think?

Post by Dan In MI »

I don't know what to think. Maybe as a display piece, but not something I'd carry.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Bob, I have not seen anything like this. I am surprised at how many bids there are on this. Personally I think it’s a bit ridiculous.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Well, if you happen to have a few small scraps of stag that are not needed for any other purpose, this may be a great way to put them to use. I don't collect lighters (yet) and I wonder if this would make them too thick to fit comfortably in one's pocket? So, maybe, this is now a table lighter? ::hmm::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

herbva wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:11 pm I don't collect lighters (yet) and I wonder if this would make them too thick to fit comfortably in one's pocket?
I had a "scrimshaw" Zippo with the ivory substitute affixed to the front. That piece made the lighter fit tightly in a Zippo pouch. Fifth pocket carry was a more viable option. It's tough to tell from the angle of the photo, but the stag doesn't look thick enough to make fifth pocket carry impractical.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Just as some knife collectors like customized knives, some lighter collectors like customized lighters. I bet there are a lot of different lighters 'out there'.
kj
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I'm the guy that says a bog-standard Street Chrome will do. The bright orange ones are nice, but I haven't bought one due to the fact that coating wears badly. This would be nice if you never used it. I am sure the stag inlays aren't exactly impossible to remove. I'm sure with age and use, they'll fall off.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:57 am I'm the guy that says a bog-standard Street Chrome will do.
Street Chrome works for me, too. But the last Zippo I carried regularly was a black crackle. That finish wears well and seems to give a little more grip.
USN 2000-2006

Return to “General Knife Discussion”