OTF Preference

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
oldnavychief

OTF Preference

Post by oldnavychief »

I'm considering the purchase of my first OTF knife. At present, my preference is a double action as opposed to single action.
My question to members: What are the pros and cons of the thumb slide being located on the spine versus on the handle.
Most of the models I've seen have the slide on the spine so I'm thinking there must be some advantage.
Being new to pocket knives, I appreciate any advice from those with experience.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: OTF Preference

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Having it located on the spine makes it ambidextrous. Whether you are right handed or left handed, you can’t always use your dominant hand to open a knife. Other than that I don’t know.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I prefer the spine fire, the grip to hold and operate it just seems more natural to me.
I have several, a Benchmade , a Microtech, and cheap Chinese ones
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Hi O.N.C., and ::welcome:: to AAPK! The knives in the pics are 2 of the cheaper Chinese type of models that Boji refers to in the post above this one. The first is a 9" oal dual-action/black swirl covers with the bolster "ears" removed by me to give it a more "Icepick" profile, and the other is an 11" oal dual-action/blue swirl covers with bolster "ears" intact. US$39. and $49. respectively with free shipping from www.dhgate.com , although, they are also selling in the US for comparable prices at some sites. Some online sites refer to these as the "Tomb Raider" knife, but the REAL T/R has a finger-loop attached at the top bolster. These knives are NOT users, since their only real use is for stabbing, but they are lots of fun to play with. If you're looking for a user, I'd suggest going with a Microtech, Benchmade, or Pirhana, although they do get costly. I've found the handle mounted lever extremely easy to operate, but I'm sure others would disagree. Good luck with your search! 8)
WIN_20210414_14_59_00_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210414_14_58_44_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210414_14_59_56_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210414_14_59_43_Pro.jpg
8)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:18 pm Hi O.N.C., and ::welcome:: to AAPK! The knives in the pics are 2 of the cheaper Chinese type of models that Boji refers to in the post above this one. The first is a 9" oal dual-action/black swirl covers with the bolster "ears" removed by me to give it a more "Icepick" profile, and the other is an 11" oal dual-action/blue swirl covers with bolster "ears" intact. US$39. and $49. respectively with free shipping from www.dhgate.com , although, they are selling in the US for considerably more. Some online sites refer to these as the "Tomb Raider" knife, but the REAL T/R has a finger-loop attached at the top bolster. These knives are NOT users, since their only real use is for stabbing, but they are lots of fun to play with. If you're looking for a user, I'd suggest going with a Microtech, Benchmade, or Pirhana, although they do get costly. I've found the handle mounted lever extremely easy to operate, but I'm sure others would disagree. Good luck with your search! 8)WIN_20210414_14_59_00_Pro.jpgWIN_20210414_14_58_44_Pro.jpgWIN_20210414_14_59_56_Pro.jpgWIN_20210414_14_59_43_Pro.jpg
Those are really nice Mark. I really like the blue one. ::tu::
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Railsplitter wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:50 pm
Madmarco wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:18 pm Hi O.N.C., and ::welcome:: to AAPK! The knives in the pics are 2 of the cheaper Chinese type of models that Boji refers to in the post above this one. The first is a 9" oal dual-action/black swirl covers with the bolster "ears" removed by me to give it a more "Icepick" profile, and the other is an 11" oal dual-action/blue swirl covers with bolster "ears" intact. US$39. and $49. respectively with free shipping from www.dhgate.com , although, they are selling in the US for considerably more. Some online sites refer to these as the "Tomb Raider" knife, but the REAL T/R has a finger-loop attached at the top bolster. These knives are NOT users, since their only real use is for stabbing, but they are lots of fun to play with. If you're looking for a user, I'd suggest going with a Microtech, Benchmade, or Pirhana, although they do get costly. I've found the handle mounted lever extremely easy to operate, but I'm sure others would disagree. Good luck with your search! 8)WIN_20210414_14_59_00_Pro.jpgWIN_20210414_14_58_44_Pro.jpgWIN_20210414_14_59_56_Pro.jpgWIN_20210414_14_59_43_Pro.jpg
Those are really nice Mark. I really like the blue one. ::tu::
Thanks Rick. ::handshake:: I wasn't expecting comments because I was just trying to show the op'er what is available, but since you commented here's a bit more info. I was wrong about the pricing in the US. I just found them at BladeHQ for US$39. for the 9"er, and US$49. for the 11"er, so the US prices have fallen inline with Chinese prices, but they are sold out at that site. I've seen them at other sites as well, but most places are usually sold out. As I'd said, these are not working knives, but for $50. they're a heck of a lot of fun to play with. You might want to consider one just as a novelty for your collection, I promise you won't be disappointed. I don't know if you've already seen this, but if you go to the "Switchblade Collectors" forum, in the thread, "Some of my autos" you can see my entire collection of automatics. Of course there's some cheesy Chinese models for my "click therapy", but there are also some very cool expensive models. 8)
8)
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

The top is a Benchmade, then Microtech, and 2 cheap Chinese ones. I also have a couple of bigger Chinese ones.
I carry the Benchmade in my purse. Never know when you might get a tough piece of meat someplace.
IMG-4834.jpg
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Boji wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:02 am The top is a Benchmade, then Microtech, and 2 cheap Chinese ones. I also have a couple of bigger Chinese ones.
I carry the Benchmade in my purse. Never know when you might get a tough piece of meat someplace.
IMG-4834.jpg
Very nice Boji! ::tu:: 8)
8)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Microtech knockoff I bought at a flea market awhile back.Knew it couldn't be real for the price(about one tenth of a genuine model)but I liked it. Not advocating support of bogus knives;showing it for informational purposes only.
Attachments
MicrotechCombatTrodoonD-E06-2011 00556 001.jpg
MicrotechCombatTrodoonD-E06-2011 00556 002.jpg
MicrotechCombatTrodoonD-E06-2011 00556 003.jpg
MicrotechCombatTrodoonD-E06-2011 00556 004.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”