Collection Database

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
cody6268

Collection Database

Post by cody6268 »

I got started on an Access database for my collection.

So far, I've divided it up into categories for my edged tools. So far, I've just started on the "Traditional Folders" section.

These are my plans right now: Sections will be "Traditional Folders, Tactical Folders, Swiss Army, Multitools, Fixed Blades, and Axes". The only thing that confuses me is lightweight non-one-hand opening lockbacks. I really don't consider them tactical folders, and only a couple are based on traditional patterns, so how in the heck do I categorize them? And what about a fixed blade seatbelt cutter/guthook by Benchmade. It's not exactly a knife in the strictest sense (it's mostly used as a backup, and for "no knife" environments), but is made by a knife company. Is it a

I'm not sure about the grading. C+ is a workhorse beater, B has seen some use, A new or like new. D beat up, F parts or repair.

Subsections are somewhat excessive in my opinion, and I'm not sure if I can make visible photos instead of just attached photos.

Nevermind the typos. The Queen/Moore Maker should say "STOCKMAN" and the blades on the Kutmaster Jack should be 2, not zero.
2021-04-13 (4)_LI.jpg
Dan In MI

Re: Collection Database

Post by Dan In MI »

If I assign a letter grade, it would work something like this:

A=cabinet queen
B=occasional carrier
C=workhorse
D=for restoration
F=parts donor (if that)

Pluses and minuses might be added if appropriate.

I'm not sure how to help with the two-hand lockbacks or the seatbelt cutter/guthook tool without further pigeonholing. However, as I suspect you have quite a large collection, I'm interested to see how this project develops.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Looks like quite a undertaking, especially if you have a lot of knives. I don't see a place for
the price you paid ( in case you later want to sell it). You will find that some knives never
will fit into a specific category. You will just have to list it as miscellaneous or put it
in a category where there are exceptions.

I have a database that has some of your characteristics and wish I included the price I paid.( not
sure why though since I rarely sell any of my knives) ::tired::

Good luck.

Bob
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I started an Excel spreadsheet/database for my knives but didn't keep up with it and it became so arduous I just said the heck with it. I admire your fortitude in undertaking such a daunting project. And yes, while the project is in it's infancy, include the price paid. Later on, you'll be glad you did. Pictures would be the icing on the cake. Make a concerted effort to include them. Another glad you did in the future.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

I did basically the same thing with my firearms and C & R weapons. The spreadsheet along with digital photos in a separate file, and placed them in thumb drives. A copy of both on an external hard drive, a copy in my gun safe, and a copy with one of my daughters. I might suggest, include what you paid for them, but you may want to put a column for current Market Value. Update it every year. This way you have a estimate of value for insurance purposes or your relatives have a guide for value in the case of you passing.

I have started a spreadsheet on my knife collection, but as Jerry said, it's kind of a daunting task. Right now, I mainly have only those I feel I may pass down or as of right now never sell.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Good advice. ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’m a member at knifedb.com, which in addition to being a great resource for Case collectors (and only Case) has a feature called “My Collection” which allows the user to document knives you own, have owned and sold, etc. You can include notes, price paid, price sold, etc for each knife, plus a condition “grade” of your choosing from a drop-down menu of choices. And you can print a copy of your collection from the database.

When you add a knife to your collection in the software it pulls the knife description and other datasoecific to tge knife from the database, along with a generic picture of the knife. You can then add your own notes for each knife, enter price info, date acquired and/or sold. I have suggested to the site owner adding capability for the user to add their own pictures of their knives. He likes the idea and has passed it on to the software developer. So we'll see what “develops”. :lol:

The site membership is $30 a year, if you’re a serious collector of old or new (up to 2010) Case pocket knives (no fixed blades) I recommend it. The site is an excellent resource and if I could just add my own pictures it would be near perfect.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “General Knife Discussion”