Patterns I don't care much for.

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Patterns I don't care much for.

Post by texoma »

There are more but I’ll just name a handful, Russlock, Cheetah, Saddlehorn, Sowbelly, Toothpick and most small patterns. My dislike for small patterns is mainly due to hand issues in my older age, it’s just harder for me to handle a small knife.
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Not a fan of;
Peanuts
Toothpicks

Didn't used to like;
Barlows (until I got an Ed Furness)
Leg knives (until I used one to open a beer)

I'll take your Folding Hunters, Jerry. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Wow, people sure have some strong opinions about what they don't like. Seems to me that the most disliked knife pattern must be the Russlock, followed by the fishing knife pattern.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

It makes ya wonder Jerry ::nod:: there are sum I like more than other ::mdm::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Froe wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:19 pm The cheap plastic look of the base Sypderco scales drive me off.
Understandable. However, they do provide excellent grip.
doglegg wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:52 pm Was it Quigley who said, ' I did say i don't perfer it, I didn't say I wasn't good with it'.
That was indeed Quigley. "Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use one." If I didn't get that exact, it's pretty close.
cody6268 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:04 am Traditional knives with pocket clips.
We're very much on the same page here. Those remind me a lot of a vintage dashboard that has been hacked to fit a modern stereo...ugly and thoroughly out of place.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I've been reflecting on this question for a couple of days and doing a mental inventory of my collection. I do not own a Russlock (and never plan to). I have very few whittlers and no peanuts. Pen knives are poorly represented. Traditional knives with thumb studs and/or pocket clips have never even been a consideration. I've got one or two doctors knives but only because the company I collect (Canal Street) made them.

Patterns that trip my trigger are Congress, Stockman, Trapper, Folding Hunter, Lockback, and Teardrop Jacks.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Great thread you got goin' here Jerry! I didn't know what a Russlock was so I Googled it, and to my surprise the knives that came up were knives I have long said were the ugliest knives I'd ever seen. To this day I don't know what the extended lever does, an easy way to open the knife I suppose. I've said this many times on this forum that I've never been a fan of knives with more than 1 blade, and that sentiment hasn't changed, don't much care for SAK's although I can certainly see them being useful with all the attachments and such, Opinels are low on my list even though I was recently informed that they are great users and the ringlock system intrigues me, any small knife(3" closed or smaller)gets passed by, and finally the crown jewel on my "Dislike" list is a toothpick with a fish scaler, the t/p in itself is O.K., but the scaler's gotta go! On the "Like" side are automatics(any automatic), lockbacks, and daggers. Even though the above knives aren't my cup-of-tea, I certainly understand some folks attraction to them for their usefulness. 8)
8)
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Basically I do not care for rectilinear bodies. Especially if they have a spear main blade. Think old time boy scout knives with spear, punch, can opener, and bottle opener blades. SAKs too. GEC 54s ... I want a serpentine or wharncliffe body, though I am okay with coke bottle bodies.

I am not too fond of any knife with a spey blade, but I will carry a serpentine stockman. Any knife with a spear main blade is just not for me.
Mel
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I know I'm gonna say something unpopular here; but I've tried most of the "rustic/peasant" patterns; and the one I like least is the Opinel. The wood handles cause blade opening to be stiff in humid environments. and they feel really weird in a pocket. MAM and Antonini make similar patterns (and I forgot the Cold Steel Twistmaster); and all are somewhat flatter.

A Case Sodbuster Jr. replaced my #6 and #7 for most jobs. But, I still really like my bigger Opinels. The #9 DIY is a great work knife.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Well, one thing the spammer accomplished was to bring this thread to the top of the stack and I had not seen it previously.
I have a strong dislike for the toothpick, mainly because of a miss-spent youth. Seems like every thug had one in their back pocket.
I have no appreciation for the Farmers Knife that I call a Slim Trapper. I think it is a pattern number 48 in Case. It bears no resemblance to a real trapper and just seems useless to me. I literally despise any knife with a celluloid handle and feel nearly as strongly about knives with a Wharncliffe blade.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Most of the knives, that I have no use for, are knives that were designed and marketed to be collectible, and that is why I shun one very popular brand. I have tried to love the Opinel, Mora and Puukko, but so far, no love. I am a bit on the fence with the Barlow types. However, I associate folks choices with a situation I faced when I was a young man. I had asked an old used car salesman how he thought that he would ever sell a real junker that was on his lot. He replied to me, " Son, there is an ass for every seat." ;)

I am living proof of his statement as I like old Imperials and Colonials.
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

Great thread!

I have no use for a muskrat. Having two identical blades on one knife is completely redundant (I understand that is the whole idea, but for my purposes a variety of blade shapes is more useful)

Swiss Army knives and camp knives do nothing for me either. I carry a Leatherman, I don’t need a pocket knife masquerading as a multi tool.

After nearly amputating my index finger, I developed a strong distaste for large folding hunters with no locks.

I don’t like anything with three blades that pivot on the same end. Blades tend to obstruct each other’s nail nicks.

Also not a fan of most modern “tacti-cool” knives.

Traditional knives were good enough for grandpa, and he worked a LOT harder than me. Therefore if I can’t get by with a traditional, I’m clearly doing something wrong.
Rustle47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rustle47 »

What an interesting thread. This will feel good to get off my chest. I don't like doctor's knives, anything under 3" long, most liner locks, gut hook blades , surgical stainless or 420 hc blades, or anything with celluloid handles. I'm ambivalent about the seahorse whittler. Some seahorses are too long at 4" to look right, but the GEC seahorse 570312 at 3 1/2" looks terrific.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

My main dislikes are

Toothpicks
Modern tacti cool
Anything under 3-1/4” closed
Eye Brand Collector

Return to “General Knife Discussion”