Overkill?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
cody6268

Overkill?

Post by cody6268 »

I recently had a knife come from a seller with whole-page color copies of every single photo he used in the eBay listing. I recently forgot the second knife did as well, and there were so many from that one, he had to send them in a separate envelope. And ironically, that showed up before the knife.

I can understand doing this to help prevent fraudsters; but this is overkill in my opinion. I know how many full-page photos my printer does, and even with a home office model (Epson Workforce series) that has the separate Cyan/Magenta/Yellow cartridges; it ain't a whole lot, and ink is really expensive. This one's even more expensive than the HP it replaced.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Overkill?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

cody6268 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:10 am I recently had a knife come from a seller with whole-page copies of every single photo he used in the eBay listing. I recently forgot the second knife did as well, and there were so many from that one, he had to send them in a separate envelope. And ironically, that showed up before the knife.

I can understand doing this to help prevent fraudsters; but this is overkill in my opinion. I know how many full-page photos my printer does, and even with a home office model (Epson Workforce series; it ain't a whole lot, and ink is really expensive. This one's even more expensive than the HP it replaced.
That is just bizarre.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I can understand maybe taking photos of it packed up, before sealing the box. What that dude did isn't just bizarre or overkill, it's completely unnecessary and wasteful.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Well guys, the knife shows up today. Included AGAIN was the same stuff as what I received yesterday in the envelope. Copies of all the photos, the original tracking number (and probably accidentally) the seal off of the bubble mailer. Heck, even the same typed-out note that his printer was a discontinued model and he couldn't find ink for it. I don't like criticizing or speculating, but this individual may have some sort of a mental issue. Especially to have the same stuff sent twice.

And like Dan, I agree, this is wasteful and unnecessary. I am a little odd in that for the most part, I save most eBay photos of items I've purchased, mostly for the "It's in the Mail" thread here. I can also use them for reference later on, which accomplishes the same thing as including printouts of all the photos and shipping label. For my printer, which uses Epson 802 ink, the 3-pack of Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow cartridges is $35. These are the non-XL cartridges, and I get maybe 50 full-page photos at best. While paper isn't that expensive, I always print double-sided to save on it; since this new printer flips the page automatically.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Yes, this is bizarre. Is the eBay listing for the knife extremely detailed ( shipping, item description, return policy, etc)?

Bob
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

rea1eye wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 pm Yes, this is bizarre. Is the eBay listing for the knife extremely detailed ( shipping, item description, return policy, etc)?

Bob
This was the description in the listing: But Ido know the Holub is from the '70s, not 1942.
Vintage HOLUB 249 Electrician's knife. HOLOB was an electrical supply company in Syracuse, Illinois and their Electrician's knives, patterned after the U.S. Gov't T-29 signal corps knife or T-27 and T-28 variations, were made by Camillus and by Schrade. The yellow handle 249 was by Schrade and the wooden handle model was by Camillus.

Please look at the pictures. This is a rugged and well constructed knife that has seen very little use. Note that the screw driver blade is notched for stripping three different grades of electrical wire. The blades have wide backs to give good stability. The Drop Point blade is slip joint while the Screwdriver blade has a brass liner lock.

The knife has a bail, brass liners and spacer, brass handle e'pins, steel bail pin, and steel bolsters. The note "HOLUB 249" shows on the side but the UL logo in front is no longer visible. Blade action is solid, no wobble, great snap and reflects the strong backsprings in this knife.

The T-29 gov't knife is derived from signal corps experience in WW I and Colonial received a contract with specifcations in 1930. Subsequently, various knife makers produced this knives, especially during WW II, and continued afterward.

I have found several claims of the HOLUB knives being produced in 1942 but can not verify those claims. Note, this knife is not a military production and the T-29 identification is not on the knife. It seems to be a copy of the T-29 with a few enhancements in the screwdriver blade and perhaps more sturdy construction.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”