Scrimshaw art by William (Bill) Feeney of F&F Inc.

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bladecollectorr

Scrimshaw art by William (Bill) Feeney of F&F Inc.

Post by bladecollectorr »

Bill Feeney and his staff at Spouting Whale (F&F Inc.) have been doing scrimshaw on knives and other items for over 40 years. His style of scrimshaw is the classic hatching type (as opposed to stippling = dots). Spouting Whale is located in Massachusetts.

Like many collectors, I like things to fit into clearly designated categories so I have only collected Schrade USA knives. Schrade's 100 years of production created more great knives than I could ever afford so I've stuck with it. That said...

I branched-out a couple years back and decided I would also collect any items scrimshawed by Bill Feeney. I already had a few special editions that he did for Schrade and since I really like his work (and scrimshaw in general) I decided to start a fresh pile of attractive knives.

I took a group photo of my current Feeney-scrimmed items a few weeks back. I will add more detailed photos of individual knives over time.

I hope you enjoy seeing these! Please feel free to post any other Spouting Whale items you may own. I'd love to see them!

Pictured below are four synthetic handled Frost Cutlery lockbacks, one mammoth ivory Parker trapper (with duck scrim), two elephant ivory plaques, one mammoth tooth money-clip (with dog scrim) and two genuine MOP canoes. All the rest of the items are bone. Bill did the fixed blade for me a couple years back, the rest of the items were done in the 1980s.

Feeney group May 20, 2021.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
Ivoryman

Re: Scrimshaw art by William (Bill) Feeney of Spouting Whale Inc.

Post by Ivoryman »

Braaaaavoooooooooo bladecollector. Excellent. Absolute beauties all around and I love seeing a good chunky piece of tusk. Loved checking out your beauties. Mmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

All of them are beautiful. Nice collection. Mr. Feeney sure does good work.

Bob
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I'm not sure if this one was done by Mr. Feeney as it is unsigned. I bought it at a small shop in Salem Massachusetts many years ago. The other handle is wood.
Attachments
Scrimshaw2017 008.JPG
Scrimshaw2017 009.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Wow!!!! Awesome collection Bladecollectorr! I've never seen such a fantastic group of scrimshaw in one collection before. And, I enjoyed the story. Thanks for sharing! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
bladecollectorr

Thanks for the kind words guys!
knife7knut wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:21 pm I'm not sure if this one was done by Mr. Feeney as it is unsigned. I bought it at a small shop in Salem Massachusetts many years ago. The other handle is wood.
It wasn't likely done by Bill himself because he tends to sign his work with the crossed-7 or backwards "F" as seen on all the knives in my group photo. At the height of his production he employed ten other scrimshanders.

One of his staff may have done it, or not. I stick to Bill's work to keep my collection uniform but tons of other scrimshanders have been active over the last 40 years. Without a signature there is no real way of knowing who did it.

Here are pics of the tiny Parker AB-11 lockback. Bill's signature is clearly visible.
AB-11 with dime x1200w.jpg
AB-11 open - pile x1200w.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Scrimshaw art by William (Bill) Feeney of F&F Inc.

Post by zed6309 »

Thats a great collection you have right there ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

bladecollectorr wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:48 pm Bill Feeney and his staff at Spouting Whale (F&F Inc.) have been doing scrimshaw on knives and other items for over 40 years. His style of scrimshaw is the classic hatching type (as opposed to stippling = dots). Spouting Whale is located in Massachusetts

Feeney group May 20, 2021.jpg
Very impressive!!! ::nod:: Thanks for the post ::nod::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
bladecollectorr

Thanks again gentlemen!

Here are a couple more pics of the Frost lockback set. The knives are somewhat crude and were made in Pakistan. The wall-display they came in looks much more attractive as a whole. When in their display, you tend to focus on the scrims more than the knives themselves so they still are pleasing to the eye.
American Wildlife Scrimshaw set 01.jpg
Frost - Feeney_resize.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Impressive collection.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

Very impressive collection ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
David

Return to “General Knife Discussion”