What kind of knives do you collect and why?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
knife7knut

Re: What kind of knives do you collect and why?

Post by knife7knut »

Although I do not have an example of every knife known to man(I'm working on it :mrgreen:) my ,"accumulation"(collection is not a word I like)is somewhat diverse.It has come to be so because as I age my tastes in knives(and everything else)evolve.
For instance I really used to enjoy a glass of good sour mash whiskey at the end of the day but due to the number of medicinal substances I am forced to ingest every day that has become problematic.
When I got my first knife(which I still own)at the age of ten I had to have a hunting knife even though my hunting escapades were minimal and did not require the use of a knife. Then a friend of mine in school got a fishtail switchblade and I had to have one of those. Cost me 2 months allowance and it broke after a couple weeks.
Switchblades were still able to be purchased in stores but you had to be 18 to buy one.I managed to con an older neighbor into buying one for me.That didn't last long;a teacher got sick of listening to me opening and closing it while he was trying to teach class.Never did get it back.
Although I always had several knives around,my accumulation addiction didn't really take off until after I got out of the Navy in 1967.It was supplemented by my friendships with several members of the law enforcement community who would supply me with knives in exchange for me working on their motor vehicles.
It accelerated rapidly when I became aware of an organization known as the National Knife Collector's & Dealers Association.I became a member and it was all downhill from there.
As to what types of knives I collect,I must say that it has evolved over time.After switchblades it was stag handled knives and then pearls.That morphed into ivory handled ones and then multi-blades. When knives started becoming harder to find I started into straight razors and then safety razors. Somewhere along the line I found letter opener knives and then regular letter openers. I always enjoyed finding "unusual" knives which can encompass many factors.Knives that have special use(usually single purpose)or ones that don't look like knives.Advertising knives can be a whole field of types.
So after accumulating knives for about 67 years what do I collect now? Whatever I like when I see it.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The original poster probably does not have much interest in old American made pocketknives, but he asked the question.

I started out accumulating pre-1965 Robeson pocketknives and along the way, picked up the odd Terrier, a secondary, but premium brand that Robeson produced between 1910 and 1916.

When I had accumulated about three-hundred-fifty knives and retired at the end of 2013, I realized it was not advisable to continue to the end of my life with all these knives, so I started selling the Robeson branded knives and it has been a slow go. I do have a small cadre of dedicated collectors that have been buying individual knives or groups of knives. For instance, all my Barlows and most scout/utilities went to one man.

But, I did not want to stop the hunt. So, I have continued to pursue the Terrier knives. There aren’t many out there. Good ones present themselves once in a blue moon, so the yearly outlay of cash is not really too great, although the nice ones do not come cheaply.

All Terrier knives are now well over one hundred years old, the most recent ones being about 105.

Here’s most of what I have. Have added a few since this photo was made. Will add more as they come along.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
A81DC6C6-6DE2-4216-90C6-E8562F5967AC.jpeg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

A wonderful display of Terriers! ::tu:: I wish I could say that I was that focused. I am about as focused as the average magpie, I guess.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice group of Terriers, Charlie. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:57 pm The original poster probably does not have much interest in old American made pocketknives, but he asked the question.

I started out accumulating pre-1965 Robeson pocketknives and along the way, picked up the odd Terrier, a secondary, but premium brand that Robeson produced between 1910 and 1916.

When I had accumulated about three-hundred-fifty knives and retired at the end of 2013, I realized it was not advisable to continue to the end of my life with all these knives, so I started selling the Robeson branded knives and it has been a slow go. I do have a small cadre of dedicated collectors that have been buying individual knives or groups of knives. For instance, all my Barlows and most scout/utilities went to one man.

But, I did not want to stop the hunt. So, I have continued to pursue the Terrier knives. There aren’t many out there. Good ones present themselves once in a blue moon, so the yearly outlay of cash is not really too great, although the nice ones do not come cheaply.

All Terrier knives are now well over one hundred years old, the most recent ones being about 105.

Here’s most of what I have. Have added a few since this photo was made. Will add more as they come along.

Charlie Noyes
Great collection Charlie.
The Barlow with TCC on the bolster is my Holy Grail knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:57 pm All Terrier knives are now well over one hundred years old, the most recent ones being about 105.

Here’s most of what I have.
Stellar collection of Terriers!

There are a few things I left out of my initial post in this thread. One is a few criteria that will make me avoid a knife altogether: if it looks like it was purchased from a truck stop or pilfered from the set of a zombie apocalypse movie, or if it was made in China or Pakistan. Quite a few of the knives in my collection have wear, but generally speaking, I avoid those with major damage. Should I acquire any with major damage, I'll set them aside for repair, dissection, or the next POS roundup; the worst of that lot would be tossed in the trash can. Finally, any knife that bears U.S. Navy decoration and doesn't fall into one of the deal-breaker categories would have a place in my collection.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

I have a collection of folding knives from different countries around the world. I think I'm up to about 52 or so different countries; that has slowed as I've seemed to run out of countries that have produced folding knives (although I still keep my eyes open). I just find the diversity fascinating.

I also have a collection of "knives of color"--different celluloid colors and patterns. Folks will say to keep them separated from other knives (because of potential outgassing problems), and if I had it to do over again, I might not have bought as many. Still, there are some really beautiful knives in that category. And I've never spent much over $20 for any of those knives.

Other than that, it's knives I find interesting or comfortable to carry. My favorite, I think, is a Camillus 69. But I have a variety of brands, US, German and (yeah, I know...) a few Chinese as well.

I also have a few knives I've re-habbed, either with new handles, or removing a broken blade, or something similar. I tinker a bit, just enough to keep me out of other trouble.

Lately I've been buying pearl-handled knives. There seems to be a great diversity of styles (and quality as well!), and they're (usually) not very expensive. Of course, mother of pearl cracks easily, so cracked handles seem to often be a fact of life. But there are some very beautiful and well-made knives if you look carefully.
Brent
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Miller Bro's wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:55 pm WHAT KIND OF KNIVES DO YOU COLLECT ?

Just about every kind that is old.

WHY?

It's an addiction/sickness.

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

knife7knut wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:05 am Although I do not have an example of every knife known to man(I'm working on it :mrgreen:) my ,"accumulation"(collection is not a word I like)is somewhat diverse.It has come to be so because as I age my tastes in knives(and everything else)evolve.

So after accumulating knives for about 67 years what do I collect now? Whatever I like when I see it.

Right on, couldn't have said it better myself.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

I like the knives made pre WWII but will buy any knife if it is a good deal. My main collection focuses a few brands made in New York. I actively look for Napanoch , Honk Falls ,New York Knife Co, Canastota and any of those odd NY brands,also like those old Conn. brands.Also picking up Remington fixed blades. Can't forget about old knife boxes ,displays and letterheads or advertisement. I need help...
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

I collect old cheap Colonial knives cause I just know that one day they will be worth a small fortune. Well also I like 'em.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

CluelessNick wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:19 pm I collect old cheap Colonial knives cause I just know that one day they will be worth a small fortune. Well also I like 'em.
You might be onto something Nick;have you seen the prices of shell handled knives recently? BTW I like 'em too.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

CluelessNick wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:19 pm I collect old cheap Colonial knives cause I just know that one day they will be worth a small fortune. Well also I like 'em.
My understanding is that the fastest way to a small fortune is to start with a large fortune and start a knife collection. Soon you will have a small fortune.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:11 pm A wonderful display of Terriers! ::tu:: I wish I could say that I was that focused. I am about as focused as the average magpie, I guess.
Welcome to my world.
tongueriver wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:07 pm My understanding is that the fastest way to a small fortune is to start with a large fortune and start a knife collection. Soon you will have a small fortune.
Ain't that the truth.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

tongueriver wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:07 pm
My understanding is that the fastest way to a small fortune is to start with a large fortune and start a knife collection. Soon you will have a small fortune.
AMEN !
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

::tu::
knife7knut wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:59 pm
You might be onto something Nick;have you seen the prices of shell handled knives recently? BTW I like 'em too.
::tu:: ::tu:: I doubt I'll live that long.
BarlowSki

Post by BarlowSki »

My new COVID hobby is collecting an example of each variation of American made Barlows. I have approximately 45 so far, and use Goins as my guidebook.

Question for the group, since I can’t really find the specific answer on the interweb - is there a specific definition of what a Barlow is? For a large majority that I find, they are pretty easy based on the longer bolster, but there are some that are “Barlow” in shape and blade style, but have a shorter bolster. I have been avoiding buying some knives if I can’t definitively identify them as a barlow. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

As an example, there is a knife on e-bay that is identified as a “dog-leg jack” that seems very much like a Barlow, but I can’t be sure.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

BarlowSki wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:02 pm ...there is a knife on e-bay that is identified as a “dog-leg jack” that seems very much like a Barlow, but I can’t be sure.
A dogleg jack has a smaller and a larger end and the blades (two most of the time) arise from the smaller end of the knife (always! :x ). The frame has a slight 'crook' in it; it is not straight like what is often called an 'equal-end' knife. Hence, 'dog leg' after the expression "Crooked as a Dog's Hind Leg (speaking of lawyers and politicians, often). Aside from the nearly ubiquitous longer bolster, I will leave the definition of a barlow to someone else. The barlow pattern is a fertile field; you should get a good handle on it after the first six or seven thousand of them.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here is a dogleg jack.
doggie001.jpg
BarlowSki

Post by BarlowSki »

Thanks very much.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

A Barlow is a jack knife having a very long bolster on one end and no cap bolster on the other.

It’s that simple. ::tu:: And show is some pictures of your collection. There are several threads here about Barlows that would be a great place to post yours. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... =2&t=59813 Welcome to AAPK.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
eveled

Post by eveled »

Just my opinion. A Barlow has the long bolster on one end and a larger bare end. both sides are straight.

The classic 2 blade has a small pen blade and a clip master. The master can vary.

Deviate too far from these parameters and it stops being a Barlow. Good luck with your collection.
zippo123

Post by zippo123 »

Scout type knives,

USA and Foreign..

Why,
Retro old school…old timey …low tech,,,,.pocket knife..pattern..
of days gone by…..some were great…some were junk….
and its a complete opposite of collecting high tech Spyderco, Benchmade and Cold Steel knifes of today ……and all that fancy do da steel worship,,,vg10, 590v, cmp20cv, s35vn, M390 , s30 v, n680…my steel is better than yours stuff..enough already! Been there done that crazy modern knife scene.

And I collect China Rough Ryder Reserve line…..$50 bucks a pop,,..not $250 and up …..ha just to counter the
Investment Banker/ Stock Broker / Hedge fund people collecting Great Eastern Cultery for their portfolios, ha.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

USA, German, Sheffield. Mostly older, but some new Case...These type of things..I collect these, because they remind me of my youth, and to preserve them for the future collectors..
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
zippo123

Post by zippo123 »

toomanyknives wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 am USA, German, Sheffield. Mostly older, but some new Case...These type of things..I collect these, because they remind me of my youth, and to preserve them for the future collectors..IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0005.JPG
very very nice collection.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”