Truth be told, The RR Kamp King my favorite scout

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Truth be told, The RR Kamp King my favorite scout

Post by Mumbleypeg »

zippo123 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:01 pm

I am glad everyone is chimming in and I am not getting beat up for liking something made in China.
Well, I have been tempted but am biting my tongue (or is it my fingers) to keep from saying anything. :lol: Besides, nobody pays any attention to me anyway! ::facepalm::
cudgee wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:58 am
Thanks Ken. How are you going for rain, i read that some parts of America are in drought. Have a good week mate. ::tu::
cudgee, no drought here. We have had a wetter and cooler than normal spring and early summer. In fact folks couldn’t get into the fields to cut wheat because it was too wet until at least a couple of weeks later than usual. Lots of fields have big ruts where combines tracked mud. Despite all the rain the hay crop is poor because we didn’t get warm enough nighttime temperatures for the forage grasses to grow well. We cut here last week, two or three weeks later than usual and yields were terrible. It’s still not as warm as usual here but we’re into July now so likely to be dry now until fall if it holds true to form. But it rained off and on all day today so who knows? ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

PLEASE, send some rain to Southern B.C.
The last 5 years have received below average precipitation and 2021 is the worst, no rain. Temperatures have been as high as 49 degrees C. ( ~ 120 F.) and for last 4 weeks temps in the mid to high 30's C. and not cooling off at night. Forests and ground are powder dry. Over 300 wildfires burning. Trees explode before they burn. Smoke is thick everywhere.
Long range outlook is no change until mid September.
Very few households here have air conditioning. I don't and my house is about 94 F. inside, only dropping to about 88 at night.
Please ask the RAIN to go to Canada.
thank you.
kj
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:34 am PLEASE, send some rain to Southern B.C.
Please ask the RAIN to go to Canada.
We here in the Detroit area have had two bouts of flooding in close succession. Believe me, if I could send you some rain, I would! I can ask the rain to go your way, and have done so.
Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:59 am Having so many different makers and variations, the ”scout” is one of my favorite patterns.
As of this post, I own two camp/scout knives. Both show marked differences in tool design and size. I figured it would be interesting to see them compared and contrasted. A Ward's is on the top and left, and a Camillus 99 is on the bottom and right. (Both were purchased from AAPK members, incidentally.)
Camp Knives Mark Sides.jpg
Camp Knives Top View.jpg
Camp Knife Blades.jpg
Camp Knife Awls.jpg
Camp Knife Can Openers.jpg
Camp Knife Cap Lifters.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is one of the finest 4 blade Utility knives of all time. It is big at 4 3/4" closed but not as bulky as the big Remington Camp knife.
GEC 981416, strong, sharp, capable and Beautiful.
kj
Attachments
IMGP1417.JPG
IMGP1416.JPG
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Joe and Dan those are fine examples of well made American knives ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
zippo123

Post by zippo123 »

garddogg56 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:51 pm Joe and Dan those are fine examples of well made American knives ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Nice!!!

I have the remington sterling silver camp knife….
it is HUGE !! for a pocket knife….more like a pocket bayonette
Attachments
image.jpg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Very nice ::nod:: when was it made?
zippo123

Post by zippo123 »

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

zippo123 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:30 pm
garddogg56 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:51 pm Joe and Dan those are fine examples of well made American knives ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Nice!!!

I have the remington sterling silver camp knife….
it is HUGE !! for a pocket knife….more like a pocket bayonette
Same knife i posted on page 2. It is bulky, more so than the GEC Texas Camp Knife that is the same length. I don't think the extra thick liners on the Remington are really needed.
kj
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I like the thick liners and slabs so I can get a firm grip.They are very well made.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Just for interest i weighed the Remington Silver Bullet R4243: 7.5 ounces, or 213 grams
And the GEC Texas Camp Knife: 6.6 ounces or 188 grams
They both are large enough that belt sheath carry is more comfortable than pocket carry. I'm sure both are plenty strong. It really comes down to personal preference. I prefer the lighter feel of the GEC whereas others prefer the heftiness of the Remington.
kj

Return to “General Knife Discussion”