I am a little quirky, so what?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Maddogfl

I am a little quirky, so what?

Post by Maddogfl »

Not many people collect "camp" knives. I don't know why but I really like the type of blades. They are functional and cheap (like myself). I have a standing rule that I will buy any camp knife in good condition for $8.00 or under, so I have maybe a couple of dozen of them. That is not the issue here, but who, in their right mind, would spend time replacing the scales on a knife that cheap? I did....The knife was fine, the scales were not.

These scales are made of heart pine from a barn that I tore down about 20 years ago. The barn was about a hundred years old, but some of the lumber in it had been recycled when the barn was built, so the old heart pine has been around for a while. When making something with decent lumber, I only used Tung Oil for a finish. This was my first attempt of replacing scales and I thought that they turned out pretty good. I can't recall exactly what I fastened them with, but probably a construction adhesive.

The bonus is that I have made a $5.00 knife out of a $5.00 knife with only a couple of hours labor. ;)
Attachments
DSCN2491.JPG
DSCN2492.JPG
jmh58

Re: I am a little quirky, so what?

Post by jmh58 »

👍🤠👍 Ain’t nothing wrong with camp knives!! I think they are super!!👍😎👍
John 🤠
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

You did an outstanding job on it and it is a very attractive knife. I need to do more wood handles on my repairs and knife kits than these wild materials that are being used today. Keep up the good work.... ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Mostly Kamp Kings and Forrest Masters, but over the years, some others fell into the drawer; KA-BAR, PAL, Cattaraugus come to mind. The truth is, that these knives, that generally sold for a buck back then and are good steel, properly heat treated, they take and hold an edge, they were built kid proof and I just like them. The other issue to me is that they were American Made, back when inexpensive didn't necessarily mean "cheap." They are, generally speaking, the history of America in the 50s and 60s.
Attachments
DSCN2500.JPG
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Nice job.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nothing quirky about it. Whether called camp knives, aka scout knives official or unofficial), aka utility knives, lots of people collect them. Here’s a link to a thread about them. As of now it’s well over 200 pages long! viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12874

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

I have as soft spot for them because it was a flea market purchase of a plastic handled Colonial scout knife / camp knife that reminded me of my days as a Boy Scout that got me started down the rabbit hole of pocket knife collecting. Many $$ and knives later my collection has lots of bone, pearl, and ivory but I've never sold that Colonial, and every time I pick it up I remember how it all started.

Dennis
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Maddogfl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:15 pm Not many people collect "camp" knives. I don't know why but I really like the type of blades. They are functional and cheap (like myself). I have a standing rule that I will buy any camp knife in good condition for $8.00 or under, so I have maybe a couple of dozen of them. That is not the issue here, but who, in their right mind, would spend time replacing the scales on a knife that cheap? I did....The knife was fine, the scales were not.

These scales are made of heart pine from a barn that I tore down about 20 years ago. The barn was about a hundred years old, but some of the lumber in it had been recycled when the barn was built, so the old heart pine has been around for a while. When making something with decent lumber, I only used Tung Oil for a finish. This was my first attempt of replacing scales and I thought that they turned out pretty good. I can't recall exactly what I fastened them with, but probably a construction adhesive.

The bonus is that I have made a $5.00 knife out of a $5.00 knife with only a couple of hours labor. ;)
Nuthin' quirky about it Steve, just a model you like. And you sure did a nice job on the rescale. BTW, I'm startin' to think you've been pulling ours leg about you being a novice knife collector, from all the knives you've been posting it sure looks like you've been at this awhile! LOL! Mark! 8)
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Nothing quirky about that at all. I have put new scales (not exactly cheap, I might add) on a Victorinox Classic that wound up costing me all of $1.65. Your camp knife looks really sweet with its new wood covers!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That ol' heart pine sure makes that one stand out! ::tu::
Looking at your herd I think maybe there might be at least one Pal in the bunch, maybe? ::shrug:: Bottom of 2nd column from the right? I have been wrong before.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:10 pm
Maddogfl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:15 pm Not many people collect "camp" knives. I don't know why but I really like the type of blades. They are functional and cheap (like myself). I have a standing rule that I will buy any camp knife in good condition for $8.00 or under, so I have maybe a couple of dozen of them. That is not the issue here, but who, in their right mind, would spend time replacing the scales on a knife that cheap? I did....The knife was fine, the scales were not.

Nuthin' quirky about it Steve, just a model you like. And you sure did a nice job on the rescale. BTW, I'm startin' to think you've been pulling ours leg about you being a novice knife collector, from all the knives you've been posting it sure looks like you've been at this awhile! LOL! Mark! 8)
Thank you for the compliment. I have been at everything for a long time....But I have not crossed the threshold from hoarder to collector with knives like I have with some things...

I can not remember ever losing a knife. I have broken them, worn them out, given them away but I don't lose them. So if you just pick up four of five a year, sooner or later you have a hoard of the things. I don't search out knives, but if one crosses my path that I like, I will buy it. With scout knives, it is like I said, under $8.00 and you are coming home with me.

For you young folks, (you can't tell old folks anything) if you want to never lose a knife, do what dear old Dad told me; a knife it must always be in your hand, in your pocket,(or sheath) or on your dresser if you don't have pants on. If you lay them down where you are working you will lose them, If you loan them, you will lose them, if not this time, then next time.
jhmenges

Post by jhmenges »

Nice job on those scales! Beautiful wood! Also like your sense of reality, turning a $5 knife into a $5 knife with just a couple of hours of work. It's not about the money - it's about the love of the process!
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

The first knife I ever rehandled was a camp knife. I used wood from a 2 inch thick ivy vine. Very white and soft. The knife was a dollar or so and a good candidate for a learning experience. Your knife looks nice. ::tu:: J.O'.
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

That heart pine makes for a purty knife .I like when I can come across old lumber for a small project.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

[quote=Maddogfl post_id=948723 tim
For you young folks, (you can't tell old folks anything) if you want to never lose a knife, do what dear old Dad told me; a knife it must always be in your hand, in your pocket,(or sheath) or on your dresser if you don't have pants on. If you lay them down where you are working you will lose them, If you loan them, you will lose them, if not this time, then next time.
[/quote]

Steve,
This is worth rereading, the last paragraph of your post!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Nothing wrong with that, i collect Sheepsfoot and lambsfoot knives, i like their history and the fact that they were made for farmers and workers, they are tools, that is what knives were made for. On a more important note, i am going to pick your brain. i have a knife that i don't like the covers, and have some wood that i want to have go at replacing the current covers with. How did you go about it, and was it very difficult? ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Maddogfl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:35 pm
Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:10 pm

Thank you for the compliment. I have been at everything for a long time....But I have not crossed the threshold from hoarder to collector with knives like I have with some things...

I can not remember ever losing a knife. I have broken them, worn them out, given them away but I don't lose them. So if you just pick up four of five a year, sooner or later you have a hoard of the things. I don't search out knives, but if one crosses my path that I like, I will buy it. With scout knives, it is like I said, under $8.00 and you are coming home with me.

Ahh, I had it mixed up, you said you are a hoarder but I thought you'd said collector. No harm done. And that's sage advise you stated about how to NOT lose a knife! 8)
8)
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

cudgee wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:37 pm

Nothing wrong with that, i collect Sheepsfoot and lambsfoot knives, i like their history and the fact that they were made for farmers and workers, they are tools, that is what knives were made for. On a more important note, i am going to pick your brain. i have a knife that i don't like the covers, and have some wood that i want to have go at replacing the current covers with. How did you go about it, and was it very difficult? ::tu::
I was not difficult on this knife. It could be far more difficult on other knives. I just cut the pieces to length and used a 1" belt sander to shape them. Mounting them with an adhesive made the process very simple. It is when you have to start drilling and pinning that skill is required.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I too love Camper knives!
The first time I rehandled a knife, I used Red Cedar. The wood is beautiful, though my craftsmanship was not. I had expected that a soft wood like that would get damaged easily, but truthfully it has held up fine for years.
Old heart pine like yours is not really a soft wood, though! Great job, and Welcome to AAPK!
::welcome::
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Maddogfl wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:50 pm

I was not difficult on this knife. It could be far more difficult on other knives. I just cut the pieces to length and used a 1" belt sander to shape them. Mounting them with an adhesive made the process very simple. It is when you have to start drilling and pinning that skill is required.
How did you remove the original covers.?
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

cudgee wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:03 pm
I don't really recall, but I probably pried them off with another knife. Keep in mind, that these were not pinned.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Maddogfl wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:07 pm
cudgee wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:03 pm

I don't really recall, but I probably pried them off with another knife. Keep in mind, that these were not pinned.
Thanks. Have a good weekend. ::tu:: :)
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Nice! I like it!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”