Showcases & Conversation Pieces

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Showcases & Conversation Pieces

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you Tom.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

edge213 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:31 pm
#goldpan wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:10 pm These are what I have. I still need another couple of display cases to show more. Sorry about the reflections. ::hmm::
I don't know how I missed this, but the Moby Dick knife is really cool ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks David!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I picked up an interesting small (and very old) primitive oak box with dividers, with the idea of putting some knives in it. Not sure yet what I will put in it - still thinking about possible themes. The box is roughly 11.5 by 11 inches and 1.5 inches deep (inside). Comments and ideas welcomed. None of the compartments are exactly the same dimensions, which is likely evidence it was handmade by someone long ago. Not sure what it was made for originally, but to us knifers its use is obvious. :lol:

Ken
Attachments
F220D9D0-5254-4B9D-91FE-739651A9AACB.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TPK

Post by TPK »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:02 am I picked up an interesting small (and very old) primitive oak box with dividers, with the idea of putting some knives in it. Not sure yet what I will put in it - still thinking about possible themes. The box is roughly 11.5 by 11 inches and 1.5 inches deep (inside). Comments and ideas welcomed. None of the compartments are exactly the same dimensions, which is likely evidence it was handmade by someone long ago. Not sure what it was made for originally, but to us knifers it’s use is obvious. :lol:

Ken
Sweet find Ken! ::nod:: ::tu:: Yes, I think when we knifers see anything similar to that full of "small compartments" we only have one thought in mind. :lol: Possible theme: Wood handled knives would look exceptionally good in there. Like Hawkbilled garden knives for example. Or any other wooden handled knives. Stag handles is another possible theme that would look really nice in there. ::hmm::
"But any knife is better than no knife." ::nod:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Here is a case that I made for some of my made in China Marbles knives. I was looking for a way to keep the knives from sliding around when I move the case. I cut out a recess for each knife in 1/4 inch MDF and covered each of the three layers in felt paper. It is working as intended. Here are pictures:
Attachments
ED5FB46E-F7C4-4CFF-8D7A-4A17FD713710.png
AB83AF4A-ACF7-42D8-A3D0-2C9AFA1D632E.png
7EFCC898-F112-4FC6-A62D-9076DB133B26.png
D1E05AF1-388C-48E5-9205-CA017B5997AD.png
28386DE8-A9DB-44D8-8B4D-D5AA309BD928.png
9AD6C5E5-B3CA-4FEB-825F-C06734104338.png
C61680C5-6DF1-4A81-9BC1-973A1ECB7E7D.png
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:09 pm Here is a case that I made for some of my made in China Marbles knives. I was looking for a way to keep the knives from sliding around when I move the case. I cut out a recess for each knife in 1/4 inch MDF and covered each of the three layers in felt paper. It is working as intended. Here are pictures:
Wow I really like your display box ::tu:: ::tu::
If I am seeing correctly you have 3 layers with each knife in its own customized slot.
What kind of wood was the box and layers made of?
David
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

rustyoldknife wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:46 pm
Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:09 pm Here is a case that I made for some of my made in China Marbles knives. I was looking for a way to keep the knives from sliding around when I move the case. I cut out a recess for each knife in 1/4 inch MDF and covered each of the three layers in felt paper. It is working as intended. Here are pictures:
If I am seeing correctly you have 3 layers with each knife in its own customized slot.
I used MDF with additional strips of hardboard for the bottom of each tray (or layer). The outside is mahogany stained, while the support arms or dividers are painted with several coats of amber shellac. Most of the time I try to find silverware or jewelry cases to convert.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:02 am I picked up an interesting small (and very old) primitive oak box with dividers, with the idea of putting some knives in it. Not sure yet what I will put in it - still thinking about possible themes. The box is roughly 11.5 by 11 inches and 1.5 inches deep (inside). Comments and ideas welcomed. None of the compartments are exactly the same dimensions, which is likely evidence it was handmade by someone long ago. Not sure what it was made for originally, but to us knifers it’s use is obvious. :lol:

Ken

Cool box, congrats on that one. Can see the saw blade marks where the maker cut notches in the ends for the dividers. Hand made/home made artifact. Nice.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
TPK

Post by TPK »

Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:18 pm
rustyoldknife wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:46 pm
I used MDF with additional strips of hardboard for the bottom of each tray (or layer). The outside is mahogany stained, while the support arms or dividers are painted with several coats of amber shellac. Most of the time I try to find silverware or jewelry cases to convert.
Wow! :shock: You really did a fine job on that! ::nod:: ::handshake::
Thanks for the Tip about the silverware cases. ::nod:: ::tu::
I've looked at jewelry cases before but I never thought about silverware cases. Thanks! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”