"Class" starts tomorrow

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
MissouriGuerrilla

"Class" starts tomorrow

Post by MissouriGuerrilla »

Hi Gang,

I have been collecting for a few years now, but budget constraints dont allow me to get something very often. Anyway, I love to get free knife catalogs thru the mail and peruse them for hours. I also am a big fan of Cutlery Corner's show. As I have gotten more interested in knives, I have taken more notice of all the different steels and terminology. In other words, I looked at the catalogs for the pictures without reading much.
My interest has grown so much in the making of and the terminology of knives I bought a notebook and have saved sites online to do my own "homework" on the subject. I have gotten great advice and this site, with it's Research page, will help me a great deal. So, I plan to take time to sit down and actually study, research, take notes and write down everything I can.
I'm not heading to make knives, I just want to know everything I can when I read about them and know what I am buying. Some of what I have already researched is quite overwhelming, so I will have to take it slow.
Any advice you all can give thru my learning process will be very greatly appreciated!

Wish me luck! :wink:
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: "Class" starts tomorrow

Post by 1967redrider »

::welcome:: to AAPK and there's a plethora of great knife knowledge here. Plus members are always helpful with pretty much any knife question. Get some good reference books- Steve Pfeiffer's book on Case knives is awesome, Sargent has get info on knife brands across the board and Price and Zalesky's is another easy to use book on many American cutlers. Watch out for counterfeits too! I enjoy learning more about new and historic knife companies, I hope you will too. 😉👍

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
MissouriGuerrilla

Hi John,

Thanks! One book I have is Ron Stewart's Knife Collector's Guide, Fifth Edition. I have perused it and really looked thru it, but was pretty overwhelmed. That will also be a part of my "homework." To sit, read and soak in.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Levine's Guide to Knives and Their Values" 4th edition is like a university introductory course to knives. It contains a huge amount of authoritative and easily read information.
It is out of print. Expect to pay about $100 for a used copy. It is well worth this amount.
kj
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Welcome to AAPK!. I also do some things similar to you. I have a large loose note book binder that contains
print outs from the internet and papers I have received in the mail regarding knives, especially Case and
Schrade. Part of enjoying the hobby is learning more information about knives. I started knife collecting
very late in my life. I am a senior citizen now and hope that collecting and reading about knives will
"keep the juices" flowing in the brain. With access to the internet now, there is unlimited amount of
information you can collect on knives. Depending on the source, I frequently take the information
with a grain of salt until I can verify with another source. Sometimes the information is not 100%
correct. Having additional knife knowledge is just as much fun as acquiring knives( well almost).

Bob
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I have nothing to add. Welcome and have fun!!
John 👍
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
MissouriGuerrilla

rea1eye wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:19 am Welcome to AAPK!. I also do some things similar to you. I have a large loose note book binder that contains
print outs from the internet and papers I have received in the mail regarding knives, especially Case and
Schrade. Part of enjoying the hobby is learning more information about knives. I started knife collecting
very late in my life. I am a senior citizen now and hope that collecting and reading about knives will
"keep the juices" flowing in the brain. With access to the internet now, there is unlimited amount of
information you can collect on knives. Depending on the source, I frequently take the information
with a grain of salt until I can verify with another source. Sometimes the information is not 100%
correct. Having additional knife knowledge is just as much fun as acquiring ( well almost).

Bob
Thanks, Bob. Yeah, one of the things I am cautious about is taking one site or person's word. I will surely be doing my due dilligence!
MissouriGuerrilla

Well....class was delayed. The wife zeroed in on a new puppy and all attention has been there. :wink:
So, I will probably start tomorrow.
I got the latest SMKW catalog and was going thru it last night. Lawd, there were more steel variations than I had fingers and toes. ::doh:: I will write them all down and try to add that to what I already had in mind.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Some good reference books mentioned already, and I’ll second the recommendations of Levine’s Guide, Pfeiffer’s Collecting Case Knives, Sargent’s Guide, and Goins’ Encyclopedia of Cutlery Makers. You’ll learn a lot more from an investment in those books than a hundred SMKW catalogs. Plus you’ll have a useful reference library.

For general but in-depth info about knives of all kinds, Levine’s is indispensable, and a great starting point. It covers knife history, the more frequently encountered knife makers, types of blades, knife patterns, etc. Plus a glossary of cutlery terms.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

Welcome to the world of knowledge through pocket knives this is the best site to learn and ask ??? (AAPK) ::welcome::
MissouriGuerrilla

Well, even with all the advice y'all have given me, I still haven't gotten the chance to have my "class" yet. My life is like a smooth, straight roller coaster ride before the cliff drops and hard turns.

I was going to start my learning by writing down all the steels I saw in my recent SMKW catalog and finding out what each of them are. Does that sound like a good way to start or do you think I should start another way? ::shrug::

Thoughts? Opinions?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Since you asked for opinions, I will say that learning about different types of steel used for knives is not of much value to a novice. There is much trivial, misleading info about knife steels. For a novice collector or user, the main thing to know is, what is stainless or carbon steel. If knowing the composition and relative hardness, toughness, and corrosion resistance of multiple different steel alloys is your interest, go for it, but I think you’d do yourself more good (and be able to communicate with other knife enthusiasts) by learning the different knife patterns, and various types of blades, knife construction and terms (what are bolsters, liners, springs, catch bits, spine, tang, swages, ricasso, etc.) Then learn about knife manufacturers and if you’re interested, their histories (where and when they exist or existed).

And the good news is, you can learn most of that without ever leaving AAPK - just click on “Research” in the header up there ^^^ at the top of this page. ::tu::

Just my opinion. Worth about what you paid for for it. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I'm in agreement with Ken, there's lots of different steels information on the web and if I'm not mistaken there some links to some it here on aapk as well as discussions. If you enjoy reading about stuff like that(and I do) then go for it. The different knife steels and their various alloys is mind boggling to me..ymmv. ::handshake::
MissouriGuerrilla

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:01 pm Since you asked for opinions, I will say that learning about different types of steel used for knives is not of much value to a novice. There is much trivial, misleading info about knife steels. For a novice collector or user, the main thing to know is, what is stainless or carbon steel. If knowing the composition and relative hardness, toughness, and corrosion resistance of multiple different steel alloys is your interest, go for it, but I think you’d do yourself more good (and be able to communicate with other knife enthusiasts) by learning the different knife patterns, and various types of blades, knife construction and terms (what are bolsters, liners, springs, catch bits, spine, tang, swages, ricasso, etc.) Then learn about knife manufacturers and if you’re interested, their histories (where and when they exist or existed).

And the good news is, you can learn most of that without ever leaving AAPK - just click on “Research” in the header up there ^^^ at the top of this page. ::tu::

Just my opinion. Worth about what you paid for for it. :lol:

Ken
Thanks, Ken. The reason I was starting with steels is because of all the different ones I see in those catalogs. I was wondering what they were to be a comparison shopper when I want to buy. I will take your advice and steer to the different patterns, which I haven't even peeked into yet. Since I have a handle on there being so many different steels, I'll dive into patterns and see how much I have to learn there.
MissouriGuerrilla

bighomer wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:37 pm I'm in agreement with Ken, there's lots of different steels information on the web and if I'm not mistaken there some links to some it here on aapk as well as discussions. If you enjoy reading about stuff like that(and I do) then go for it. The different knife steels and their various alloys is mind boggling to me..ymmv. ::handshake::
Yeah, bighomer! I was perusing the steels and it lead me to the alloys, elements, heating degrees, etc. and I was like "Lord, what have I gotten myself into?!" ::uc:: ::dang::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

MissouriGuerrilla wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:41 pm Well, even with all the advice y'all have given me, I still haven't gotten the chance to have my "class" yet. My life is like a smooth, straight roller coaster ride before the cliff drops and hard turns.

I was going to start my learning by writing down all the steels I saw in my recent SMKW catalog and finding out what each of them are. Does that sound like a good way to start or do you think I should start another way? ::shrug::

Thoughts? Opinions?
Download an app called "Knife Steel Composition". I downloaded from Google Play Store.
It has more information than you probably want to know.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
MissouriGuerrilla

edge213 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:55 pm
MissouriGuerrilla wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:41 pm Well, even with all the advice y'all have given me, I still haven't gotten the chance to have my "class" yet. My life is like a smooth, straight roller coaster ride before the cliff drops and hard turns.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Download an app called "Knife Steel Composition". I downloaded from Google Play Store.
It has more information than you probably want to know.
Thanks, edge. Duly noted!
MissouriGuerrilla

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:53 pm Some good reference books mentioned already, and I’ll second the recommendations of Levine’s Guide, Pfeiffer’s Collecting Case Knives, Sargent’s Guide, and Goins’ Encyclopedia of Cutlery Makers. You’ll learn a lot more from an investment in those books than a hundred SMKW catalogs. Plus you’ll have a useful reference library.

For general but in-depth info about knives of all kinds, Levine’s is indispensable, and a great starting point. It covers knife history, the more frequently encountered knife makers, types of blades, knife patterns, etc. Plus a glossary of cutlery terms.

Ken
Hey guys...I just took a look at Levine's Guide books and they are a little over my budget. Can anyone recommend something a bit cheaper that might be close to Levine's? I'm finally close to having my first "class!" I still have Ron Stewart's 4th Edition that's been my go to book. I also found a Knife Steel Composition chart at KnifeInformer.com. Guess I won't have to write down all the different steels I see in the catalogs! ::groove::
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

MissouriGuerrilla:

I am sympathetic with budget constraints, but if you compare the cost of a couple of modestly-priced knives with the cost of a LEVINE'S GUIDE, there are scant grounds for not getting the best general knife knowledge book out there.

It will give you the basics for discussing knives on this Forum, imparting the history, the vocabulary, the pitfalls, and the mystique.

If you can obtain any of the editions prior to "LG"-5, you should be in good stead. It does not have to be LG-4, in my opinion.

There are experts that have preceded me with advice for you on this thread. It is well-worth heeding.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Contrary to popular myth there is nothing wrong with "LG-5". Its undeserved bad rap comes from Levine having trashed it in a snit over his falling out with the publisher in disagreement over the knife price values, which are all out of date now anyway. Aside from the value guide the content is virtually the same as LG-4. (I have both, having bought 4 thinking I must be missing something, only to find they're near-identical).

IMHO LG-5 is a good value relative to 4. They're all out of print now anyway so Levine himself gets no royalties from secondary sales of either version.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Mumbleypeg:

I would agree with you the LG-5 is predominantly the same book as the previous LEVINE’S GUIDE editions (1-4), and maintains considerable usefulness for the knife student; but where it deviates from custom involves more than its out-of-date knife values.

My copy is on loan right now, so I am going from memory, but I recall that there was some new material that was inserted into the text of LG-5 that does not always follow. The book thereby comes off more carelessly-edited than with the previous editions, and no longer entirely the work of its nominal author.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I haven't noticed significant problems or differences. Not saying you're incorrect, but most of 5 is word-for-word identical to 4. Some of the illustrations are different, but the text isn't.

There are some errors in the index in 5. You can look up a topic, go to the page referenced in the index, and what you're looking for isn't there. It's possibly off a page or two. Those are only occasional errors - for the most part the index is correct, but it can be a little frustrating when it's wrong. However IMHO those are minor drawbacks relative to the difference in price of LV-4 versus LV-5. For the budget (and availability) LV-5 is a relatively good deal. Sorta like getting a rare knife in very good condition as a placeholder in your collection while waiting to find a better one.

What I'm saying is, if you can't afford (or can't find) a copy of LV-4 but LV-5 is within reach, don't turn it down. It's still a treasure trove of cutlery information.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Mumbleypeg:

We are in agreement.

No knife collector should let the punctilio of LEVINE’S GUIDE edition variations keep him from just getting ahold of a copy of whatever edition he can.
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

Research is the fun part of any hobby.
MissouriGuerrilla

Sorry for the delay in acknowledging the above responses. I appreciate it, folks! ::tu::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”