Knives and Spirits

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Knives and Spirits

Post by Railsplitter »

We have an "It's Beer Thirty" thread. I know some of you fine folks must enjoy a drink of a stronger variety on occasion.

Here's one of my all time favorites. Stranahan's Colorado Single Malt Whiskey accompanied by my tiny collection of Buck 112's. Stranahan's is not terribly expensive. It has a little bit of spice and tons of flavor. A wonderful way to compliment a fine evening. I drink it neat but I'm sure it would be great on the rocks too if that's your thing.

Would love to see what some of you other folks like. I might try your favorite myself as I'm always up to some good suggestions.
Attachments
IMG_6153.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knives and Spirits

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

My picture is of gin & tonic fixins and a Moose of my own making.
IMG_4498.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:27 am My picture is of gin & tonic fixins and a Moose of my own making.

IMG_4498.JPG
Thanks for sharing, OC. It's been awhile since I've had a gin & tonic. I remember having a gin &tonic with my Grandpa several years ago in his backyard. It was his favorite drink and it reminded me of the first time my Father let me take a sip of beer. You had to be someone special for my Grandpa to offer you his gin & tonic. I won't be forgetting that day anytime soon.

That Moose is a very attractive knife. Nice work!
Rick T.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Or margarita fixins and a pair of Paxton & Gallaghers, a harness jack and a whittler.
IMG_4499.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Cool thread, Rick. ::tu::

With the Winter months approaching, I'm sure I'll have some sipping pictures to post. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks redrider! ::handshake:: Looking forward to your future posts.

Here’s another of my favorites. The Macallan Single Malt Scotch Double Cask.

The manner in which I stumbled upon this is rather unusual and perhaps a bit corny but I’d like to share it anyway.

About 8 years ago I had gotten interested in drinking Bourbon but I kept hearing about these Single Malt Scotch whiskies and I wanted to try one. I had no idea where to start and then I read a book written by Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist of my favorite band, RUSH. The book isn't about whiskey but Neil mentions The Macallan several times throughout the book. It was obviously his favorite spirit.

Since I didn’t know where to start anyway, I figured a recommendation like that was good enough to convince me to try it. I bought a bottle and that was pretty much all she wrote.

The bottle in the picture below is probably the 8th or 10th bottle that I’ve purchased in the 8 years that have passed since then. I don't drink it often because it's somewhat expensive but I like to always have a bottle on hand. The knife is a Queen #63 Railsplitter and it’s the pattern responsible for my username.

Sadly, Neil Peart passed away in January, 2020. It might sound corny but although I like The Macallan regardless of the Neil Peart connection, I do often think of him when I drink it as I had always done even when he was still with us. Corny maybe but that's my story.
Attachments
IMG_6154.JPG
Neil Peart.jpg
Ghost Rider.png
Rick T.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cool story, Rick. BTW- Case -99s are called Railsplitters, I thought that's where you got your user name from. 😉
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:51 pm Very cool story, Rick. BTW- Case -99s are called Railsplitters, I thought that's where you got your user name from. 😉
I can see how one might think that. ::tu::
Rick T.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Four Roses Yellow Label is my favorite. I don't know why I say that because it all pretty much tastes the same to me so most of the time, I drink the cheap stuff. I drink it with club soda, sometimes neat. Now and again I'll pick up a high end bottle just for a change of pace.
Attachments
Four Roses yellow label.jpg
Four Roses yellow label.jpg (18.9 KiB) Viewed 3609 times
DSC08685.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:18 pm Four Roses Yellow Label is my favorite. I don't know why I say that because it all pretty much tastes the same to me so most of the time, I drink the cheap stuff. I drink it with club soda, sometimes neat. Now and again I'll pick up a high end bottle just for a change of pace.
Four Roses has been on my list to try for quite awhile but I always end up getting something else. I'll try it eventually.
Rick T.

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Speaking of celebrity influences on beverage choices...my story is even cornier than Rick's 'Neil Pert' story ::facepalm:: :

When I was in high school, I was a big fan of James Bond. I realize he's actually a fictional character, but he represented everything I wanted to be in life: suave, sophisticated and debonair; so, I started drinking vodka martinis ("shaken and not stirred" of course). My preferred vodka was Stolichnaya (Stoli), but I also enjoyed sampling the many different whiskies mentioned in Ian Fleming's novels. The only problem was that when I drank distilled spirits, I became anything but suave, sophisticated or debonair and had a hard time stopping once I'd had enough. After too many years of overindulgence (and a few unfortunate incidents with law enforcement), I finally wised up and got on the spirits wagon. It's been over 25 years since I've had any of the hard stuff (just the occasional beer every now and again) and I've lost my taste for spirits of any kind. Too many head-splitting, gut-wrenching morning hangovers will do that. ::dang::

BTW: For the record, I can attest unequivocally that Tequila and spaghetti do not pair well! ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Great post ~Q~. Thanks for sharing that!
Rick T.

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Firefighter Jim Beam and a Case Firefighter mini trapper.
Attachments
20211114_145418.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:45 pm Thanks redrider! ::handshake:: Looking forward to your future posts.

Here’s another of my favorites. The Macallan Single Malt Scotch Double Cask.

The manner in which I stumbled upon this is rather unusual and perhaps a bit corny but I’d like to share it anyway.

About 8 years ago I had gotten interested in drinking Bourbon but I kept hearing about these Single Malt Scotch whiskies and I wanted to try one. I had no idea where to start and then I read a book written by Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist of my favorite band, RUSH. The book isn't about whiskey but Neil mentions The Macallan several times throughout the book. It was obviously his favorite spirit.

Since I didn’t know where to start anyway, I figured a recommendation like that was good enough to convince me to try it. I bought a bottle and that was pretty much all she wrote.

The bottle in the picture below is probably the 8th or 10th bottle that I’ve purchased in the 8 years that have passed since then. I don't drink it often because it's somewhat expensive but I like to always have a bottle on hand. The knife is a Queen #63 Railsplitter and it’s the pattern responsible for my username.

Sadly, Neil Peart passed away in January, 2020. It might sound corny but although I like The Macallan regardless of the Neil Peart connection, I do often think of him when I drink it as I had always done even when he was still with us. Corny maybe but that's my story.
Great thread Rick, thanks for starting it! Like Q above, I put the plug in the jug many, many years ago except for an odd beer in the hot summer weather. That doesn't mean I can't read this thread and look back on some of the good times before the sauce got out of control. I really enjoyed your story about Neil Peart, Rush's ex-drummer, because those guys are Canadians just like me! Also, I don't think the story is corny at all, just you relaying to us some of your experiences, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:18 pm Four Roses Yellow Label is my favorite. I don't know why I say that because it all pretty much tastes the same to me so most of the time, I drink the cheap stuff. I drink it with club soda, sometimes neat. Now and again I'll pick up a high end bottle just for a change of pace.
Jerry! The thread is "Knives and Spirits", where's the knife? ::shrug:: LOL! ::rotflol:: ! Jus' teasin' you marine, I know fully well how easy it is to overlook the obvious! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:30 pm Speaking of celebrity influences on beverage choices...my story is even cornier than Rick's 'Neil Pert' story ::facepalm:: :

When I was in high school, I was a big fan of James Bond. I realize he's actually a fictional character, but he represented everything I wanted to be in life: suave, sophisticated and debonair; so, I started drinking vodka martinis ("shaken and not stirred" of course). My preferred vodka was Stolichnaya (Stoli), but I also enjoyed sampling the many different whiskies mentioned in Ian Fleming's novels. The only problem was that when I drank distilled spirits, I became anything but suave, sophisticated or debonair and had a hard time stopping once I'd had enough. After too many years of overindulgence (and a few unfortunate incidents with law enforcement), I finally wised up and got on the spirits wagon. It's been over 25 years since I've had any of the hard stuff (just the occasional beer every now and again) and I've lost my taste for spirits of any kind. Too many head-splitting, gut-wrenching morning hangovers will do that. ::dang::

BTW: For the record, I can attest unequivocally that Tequila and spaghetti do not pair well! ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf::
Bin' there, done that! 8)
8)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:18 pm Four Roses Yellow Label is my favorite.
Madmarco wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:02 pm Jerry! The thread is "Knives and Spirits", where's the knife?
Allow me to lend a hand here, jerryd...

Would I be mistaken to suggest that this is the perfect knife to go with jerryd's Four Roses Yellow Label (BTW: this is actually jerryd's knife and photo...I just copied it from another thread ::sneaky:: )
GEC Yellow Rose Churchill.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:18 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:18 pm Four Roses Yellow Label is my favorite.
Madmarco wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:02 pm Jerry! The thread is "Knives and Spirits", where's the knife?

Would I be mistaken to suggest that this is the perfect knife to go with jerryd's Four Roses Yellow Label (BTW: this is actually jerryd's knife and photo...I just copied it from another thread ::sneaky:: )
Perfect knife to go with that perfect whiskey! And it's Jerry's own picture too! Well done Q! 8)
8)
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:45 pm I kept hearing about these Single Malt Scotch whiskies and I wanted to try one.
Rick, or anyone else out there with an interest, I think you would enjoy looking at Bob Simon's last story on youtube. I am no fan of the media, but was a Bob Simon fan. The last piece of work that he did, before his untimely death, was a story on Scotch and a vist to Islay. Look it up, very interesting and informative.
Ike
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

edge213 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:03 pm Firefighter Jim Beam and a Case Firefighter mini trapper.
Well done!!! ::tu:: ::tu::
Ike
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Waukonda wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:50 pm
Railsplitter wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:45 pm I kept hearing about these Single Malt Scotch whiskies and I wanted to try one.
Rick, or anyone else out there with an interest, I think you would enjoy looking at Bob Simon's last story on youtube. I am no fan of the media, but was a Bob Simon fan. The last piece of work that he did, before his untimely death, was a story on Scotch and a vist to Islay. Look it up, very interesting and informative.
Thank you, Ike. I'll check it out soon.
Rick T.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:18 pm

Thank you ~Q~. I was just being lazy & unimaginative. I didn't even think of the Yellow Rose to go with the Four Roses. All fixed now. Much appreciation for having my back. And thanks to Madmarco for outing me. Somebody has to look out for me. ::facepalm::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

When my son graduated from college, my present to him was a trip to Ireland, where we engaged in a walking tour over the course of 10 days. At one of our stops, a little pub in Cloghane, my son decided he wanted to try Irish whiskey. Of course, everyone thinks of Jameson's, but the proprietor suggested we try Henry Downes No. 9. Well, let me tell you, I have no issue with Jameson's, but the Downes blows it out of the water. It's produced in small batches in Waterford, and isn't exported to the US :( . I bought a bottle to bring home with me, and have been nursing it along ever since.

By the way, we walked about 140 miles over 12 days on that trip (walked all over Dublin the last day before we left). We were sore and tired, but it was a great trip.

Oh, and the knife is a little Jowika (Republic of Ireland) from my "Knives of the World" collection (I'm up to 57 countries represented!).
Attachments
IMG_2335.JPG
Brent
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

beresman wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:57 pm When my son graduated from college, my present to him was a trip to Ireland, where we engaged in a walking tour over the course of 10 days. At one of our stops, a little pub in Cloghane, my son decided he wanted to try Irish whiskey. Of course, everyone thinks of Jameson's, but the proprietor suggested we try Henry Downes No. 9. Well, let me tell you, I have no issue with Jameson's, but the Downes blows it out of the water. It's produced in small batches in Waterford, and isn't exported to the US :( . I bought a bottle to bring home with me, and have been nursing it along ever since.

By the way, we walked about 140 miles over 12 days on that trip (walked all over Dublin the last day before we left). We were sore and tired, but it was a great trip.

Oh, and the knife is a little Jowika (Republic of Ireland) from my "Knives of the World" collection (I'm up to 57 countries represented!).
Dang! You had me until "isn't exported to the US". Definitely a bottle to be savored.

That sounds like a very memorable trip. Nice knife too!
Rick T.

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I think we still have liquor left over from our wedding in 1980.. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: :lol:
I only drink BEER!!! ::nod:: :lol:
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”