Weed & Co.

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Weed & Co.

Post by edge213 »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:48 pm Well, curiosity killed this cat. Ordered. ::facepalm::

It looks more like a Folding Hunter than a Barlow to me.
I don't care what anybody says, that is not a barlow.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

edge213 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:24 pm
1967redrider wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:48 pm Well, curiosity killed this cat. Ordered. ::facepalm::

I don't care what anybody says, that is not a barlow.

Even a Granddaddy Barlow would be a stretch, from the picture, in my opinion.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree, not my definition of a Barlow. But then, I wouldn’t call the Camillus 72 a “whittler” either. But they did. ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I think your description is very apt. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when it arrives. ::nod:: ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Hoping it shows up before Wednesday.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Just learned something new about Weed & Co.- Mr. Gilbert _________ who bought the Queen machinery and moved it to Ohio, is also making new Schatt & Morgan and Col. Coon knives.

RancherinAz

Post by RancherinAz »

Interesting ….
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Y'all must have missed this old thread https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 20&t=68838

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I did, thanks Ken. ::handshake::

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Well, what would you guys do if this was your $175 knife?
Attachments
IMG_20211128_192213825.jpg

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Send it back! ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Miller Bro's wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:18 am Send it back! ::nod::
What he said. Send it back right quick and in a hurry.
Eye Brand Collector
RancherinAz

Post by RancherinAz »

Well that’s not a very good start for this new endeavor .
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Yeah, now starts the process of emailing Cutlery Corner to get the exchange/refund ball rolling. ::facepalm::

Rockstars Artifacts

Post by Rockstars Artifacts »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:33 pm Yeah, now starts the process of emailing Cutlery Corner to get the exchange/refund ball rolling. ::facepalm::
That should have never made it through. Send it back to cutlery corner and also private message me your address and I’ll get you a replacement out ASAP.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Rockstars Artifacts wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:09 pm
1967redrider wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:33 pm Yeah, now starts the process of emailing Cutlery Corner to get the exchange/refund ball rolling. ::facepalm::
That should have never made it through. Send it back to cutlery corner and also private message me your address and I’ll get you a replacement out ASAP.
Are you a principal in this endeavor?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Rockstars Artifacts wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:09 pm

Will do and thank you very much! ::handshake::

I emailed Cutlery Corner this morning but haven't heard back from them yet regarding their return procedure. Will PM you now.

Matt_WY
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Matt_WY »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:54 am Well, what would you guys do if this was your $175 knife?
That’s a disappointment, especially at that price point. Hopefully it’s just an anomaly and fit and finish is much better than illustrated by that example.
WTB: GEC\Plaza Cutlery 33 dog paw knife
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I just picked up this from Frank's Classic Knives, hoping for better luck of the draw-

Schatt & Morgan First Run--Weed & Company Hardware Store and Cutlery Red Jig Bone Trapper.
$ 125.00

Introducing the new Schatt & Morgan produced at it's new factory location in Winchester Ohio and owned by Gilbert Cooper. Please join me in welcoming the factory's official first run---The Weed & Company Hardware and Cutlery (circa 1818) Trapper. It is 4.1" closed. Beautiful Red Jigged Bone. Weed & Co Etch. Tang Stamped Weed & Co, Winchester Ohio, 2021. We will see a lot more Weed & Company knives in the future. This run includes a Hunter and a Two Blade Trapper and each come in four different handles. All will be listed on my store.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211208-085408.png
Screenshot_20211208-085255.png
Screenshot_20211208-085509.png

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The one's selling at Frank's Classic went like last Winter's snow! 🔥

knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Those Weed trappers look to be nice knives, but at over double the price of a basic Case bone handled trapper, they should be pretty nice.

One interesting thing - the tooling for those looks nothing like the tooling used by Queen/Schatt for their trappers - look at the Queen #19 trapper, the Weed trapper frame and blades are a lot different.

The frame and blade tooling for the Weed trapper to me looks more like the tooling used by Boker on their Asian-sourced knives.

May not mean much, but I find it interesting since Cooper Cutlery is said to be using the old Queen/Schatt tooling. I just don't see it.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

knifeaholic wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:02 pm Those Weed trappers look to be nice knives, but at over double the price of a basic Case bone handled trapper, they should be pretty nice.

One interesting thing - the tooling for those looks nothing like the tooling used by Queen/Schatt for their trappers - look at the Queen #19 trapper, the Weed trapper frame and blades are a lot different.

The frame and blade tooling for the Weed trapper to me looks more like the tooling used by Boker on their Asian-sourced knives.

May not mean much, but I find it interesting since Cooper Cutlery is said to be using the old Queen/Schatt tooling. I just don't see it.
Might explain this quote from a prior post in this thread.

"Parts were sourced with foreign and domestic parts. All parts assembled in USA."

::hmm::

IIRC the lower priced Böker line uses parts made in Asia (China?) and assembled in Germany.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

knifeaholic wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:02 pm Those Weed trappers look to be nice knives, but at over double the price of a basic Case bone handled trapper, they should be pretty nice.

I agree. Don’t look nothing like a Queen trapper. Blade shapes are way off. To me these weed knives just look “off” to me. To each is own though and if some folks like um more power to um.
Eye Brand Collector
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

It's a bummer you got that one John, Gilbert was still working out the kinks in his company.
He has to train up an entire staff from scratch, so there is always going to be issues with some of them; it's the nature of the business.
I guess He feels ready to go full run with it now, I wish all the best to Him!

Matter of fact, I've aboslutely fallen in love with his German Hunter, buffalo horn, matchstriker long pull, ::drool::

Brother Mark is helping me out, ordered me one here from Franks. Fingers crossed that's it's what I'm hoping for; I can live with some slight funkiness, as long as it doesn't take-away from the knife itself...
https://franksclassicknives.com/collect ... n-hunter-2
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
cbay

Post by cbay »

What is the message being sent with the name and badge?
There certainly is one being sent. Just not seeing any connection with the good start up story and traditional knives...
Chris

Return to “General Knife Discussion”