Vintage Gerber USA

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Another Knife Collector

Vintage Gerber USA

Post by Another Knife Collector »

Does anyone know anything about this knife or the history of Gerber?
It's marked GERBER other side PORTLAND OR. 97223 U.S.A
Any ideas on value? Thanks.

Never really see any old Gerbers, if anybody has any they want to show off I'd be interested.
Attachments
P1000677.JPG
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Not sure I've ever seen that model before but it looks to be a good one.
Here's a few of mine:
Attachments
GerberSilverKnightWoodScales.JPG
GerberSilverKnightWoodScales.JPG (18.17 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
GerberSet.JPG
GerberSet.JPG (30.08 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
GerberPaul1.JPG
GerberPaul1.JPG (19.85 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
Gerber.JPG
Gerber.JPG (20.74 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
GerberHunterSet1.JPG
GerberHunterSet1.JPG (32.08 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
GerberFSICI.JPG
GerberFSICI.JPG (20.75 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
GerberFS9.JPG
GerberFS9.JPG (18.98 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
GerberBoltActionMacTools.JPG
GerberBoltActionMacTools.JPG (23.86 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
Gerber 1.jpg
Gerber 1.jpg (34.2 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Here are a couple from my small group. Very good knives in years past. I am not too familiar with the newer ones.
Attachments
Gerber Folding Sportsman I .JPG
Gerber Folding Sportsman I .JPG (41.32 KiB) Viewed 7954 times
107_0755.JPG
107_0755.JPG (83.28 KiB) Viewed 7937 times
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

gerber

Post by Mossdancer »

K7K:
I'm sure you are already aware of it but someone else may not be. In as new condition that first knife you show with the checked handles is the folding hunter(FH) that Ham Gerber came up with in about 1965-66 era. It was Gerbers first folder. HS tool steel blade model commanded at one time pre Ebay a couple thousand in Japan. I have often wondered if FH stood for folding hunter or his name Francis Ham Gerber. Someday when I find time I may just make a study of the folders from this fine company.
They are by the way currently owned by Fiskars.
moss
knife7knut

Re: gerber

Post by knife7knut »

Mossdancer wrote:K7K:
I'm sure you are already aware of it but someone else may not be. In as new condition that first knife you show with the checked handles is the folding hunter(FH) that Ham Gerber came up with in about 1965-66 era. It was Gerbers first folder. HS tool steel blade model commanded at one time pre Ebay a couple thousand in Japan. I have often wondered if FH stood for folding hunter or his name Francis Ham Gerber. Someday when I find time I may just make a study of the folders from this fine company.
They are by the way currently owned by Fiskars.
moss
Thanks for the info Moss.That particular knife I bought from a friend of mine who owned a knife store in Massachusetts many years ago.He got it from B.R.Hughes who was one of the writers and creators of Knife Digest.

I also got an incredible collection of knife books and magazines from Ed when he closed up shop including the first ten years of Blade magazine in binders.
Another Knife Collector

Thanks for sharing your knives, very nice ::tu:: , Gerber sure had some innovative designs.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Another Knife Collector:
Here is a link to some of the older Gerbers.
moss

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... php?t=1640
John F.

Post by John F. »

Howdy,
I'm curious to ask about the quality of the blade steel from Gerbers of the 70's? The Folding Sportsman II's occasionally pop up here and don't seem to cost very much. I wonder if they would be very good using knives? Do they hold an edge well, and are they especially hard to sharpen?

Any info would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
John
Another Knife Collector

Well, I can tell you about mine, my dad got it in the late seventies or early eighties. He worked in a store that sold Randalls and other very high end knives and chose to carry this Gerber. It has very hard steel, takes a bit of work to put an edge on it, but it holds it real well. He carried it for about twenty years until he gave it to me. Can't speak for all of them but this one is nice.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

John F. wrote:Howdy,
I'm curious to ask about the quality of the blade steel from Gerbers of the 70's? The Folding Sportsman II's occasionally pop up here and don't seem to cost very much. I wonder if they would be very good using knives? Do they hold an edge well, and are they especially hard to sharpen?

Thanks,
John
I've carried several Gerbers and think they are of very good quality and easy to sharpen.My favorite was the Skookum.The pen blade was the thinnest production blade I've ever seen and held an excellent edge.I carried a Bolt Action for a time but it was a bit too big for my taste.I favor smaller knives anyway.I have a couple of pearl scaled Silver Knights but was always afraid that I would shatter the pearl.I get clumsy occasionally.
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

knife7knut wrote:
I get clumsy occasionally.

Man, oh man, don't we all. ::doh:: ::tear::

Bumbling Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

John F. wrote:Howdy,

Thanks,
John
I was in the retail cutlery business in Oregon in the 1980s up until 1992. We tended to carry a lot of knives made in Oregon because Oregonians like things made in Oregon & because we did a lot of business with the Japanese tourists.
There was a very popular television program in Japan at that time about a boy who moved to Oregon from Japan and was raised by his aunt and uncle. Oregon products were very high on the Japanese tourists list of gifts to buy. Kershaws have always been made in Japan as well as Al Mar knives. We would sell the Japanese some Benchmade knives, which were all made in Oregon then, as well as Al Mar knives, but they rarely bought Kershaw. I asked one Japanese gentleman why he would buy Al Mar knives when they were made in Japan; his answer was "Al Mar Bushido (warrior)." With the exception of Al Mar knives, the Japanese tourists would not buy any product made in Japan.

Given that our local customers preferred to buy products made in Oregon and that our Japanese customers wanted products made in the US, with a preference to Oregon, it would seem that we would sell a lot of Gerber knives. However that was not the case. Most of the locals had a Gerber knife or two and were not terribly impressed. The locals loved Kershaw because of their quality and the fact that it was an Oregon company, (never mind that the knives were made in Japan), Al Mar for the quality, and Benchmade, for the quality and the fact that it was a local product.

We did not do well with Gerber knives in the time that I was in the business, regardless of the fact that Gerber had been a main line of the store when it opened. The most common complaints I got from customers had to do with the difficulty of sharpening Gerbers. Many of the Gerber knives at that point in time used about a 30 degree bevel on the cutting edge. While the knives held the edge quite well they were not nearly sharp as a Kershaw, Al Mar or Benchmade. So most of my customers, even those who had liked their Gerbers, fell in love with Kershaw, Al Mar and Benchmade knives, and most moved away from Gerber. Somewhere in that time frame Fiskers purchased Gerber, and the attraction of the local product was gone to most of the customers because it was no longer a locally owned company.
Our Japanese customers preferred to buy smaller knives and at that time most of Gerber's smaller knives were being made in Japan, such as the Silver Knight series.

I think Gerber made a better product prior to the 1980s than they made while I was in the business. I base this on some of the earlier Gerbers that I now own. It's my personal impression that Gerber’s designs were rather stale in the 1980s, whereas Kershaw and Al Mar offered exciting new styles and some innovative design and materials. I believe Al Mar was one of the first knife makers to put ATS-34 steel in a production knife. This was quite an innovation in its day. I can't help but think Gerber’s design talent was heavily impacted when Al left Gerber to start Al Mar knives.

Many of our Gerber customers would bring their knives in and have us change the angle at which they were sharpened. Once we had done that there are usually satisfied with their Gerbers, but if they did not pay attention to the angle at which the knife had been ground they usually had a great deal of difficulty sharpening their Gerbers.

I cannot speak to the steels that Gerber used, as I do not know what they were, but I'm sure someone here knows.

I hope this helps to answer your question,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Dale,
Great input and analysis. I love the old ones, from the 70s or so, but not too crazy about the newer versions.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
John F.

Post by John F. »

Hi, folks,
THANKS MUCH for the great info!! I sure appreciate the help, and it is amazing what depth of knowledge we have among the members here!

Dale, thanks especially for taking the time to share your experience and insight. I sure appreciate it!
:D
John
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Thank you for the GREAT info Dale.I can relate to the difficulty in sharpening the early Gerbers.When I finally realized that the bevel was much larger than other knives,my problems went away.

I've owned several Al Mar knives but wasn't particularly impressed with them;not enough to justify the large difference in price.The only one I have left is an Osprey.

I have quite a few Kershaw knives and really liked their quality,but the earlier ones were difficult to sharpen;no doubt stemming from the fact that Pete Kershaw was a former Gerber employee(as was Al Mar)and used similar bevels.The best one I have is an early Trooper(Feb.1980)I purchased new.

Some of the really recent Gerbers are nothing but junk,but so are a lot of recent knives.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Nice answer Dale.
For anyones use the below document might help you. In case you do not know, you can hold down your ctrl key and roll the dial on mouse to enlarge photo. Feel free to save and print a copy.
moss
Attachments
img192.jpg
redferd

Post by redferd »

Years ago I had a Gerber Gator folder. I gave it to a friend and he used it to clean deer. He would let me rehone it and then he quit using it. He seemed to like it a lot and was afraid of losing it or misplacing it in the woods. I don't know much about the newer ones tho. I see the Man Vs. Wild using a Gerber Gator sometimes so they must be ok.
Don Luis

Post by Don Luis »

Here's one of mine, from the mid 70's, I added a thumbstud and lanyard hole and fixed the broken wood scales with epoxy putty.

Luis
Attachments
GerberDerringer03a.jpg
GerberDerringer03a.jpg (28.22 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
justold52

Post by justold52 »

Nice knife DON and I love that touch of color to it too... ::nod::
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
david@arbow

Re:

Post by david@arbow »

knife7knut wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:40 am Not sure I've ever seen that model before but it looks to be a good one.
Here's a few of mine:
I see you have a smaller version of one I have. Do you have any information on this knife?
Attachments
20200707_185057.jpg
20200613_183556.jpg
20200613_183547.jpg
John F.

Re: Vintage Gerber USA

Post by John F. »

That is a “presentation“ version of the Gerber Mark 2.
They were occasionally given to people as retirement, graduation, etc. gifts. You mentioned the “smaller version” of your knife earlier in the thread — that is a presentation version of the Gerber Mark 1 boot knife, which in its normal “working” form was pretty popular.

When I served in the regular Army (77-84) it was not uncommon to see the occasional soldier carrying the Mark 1, as its size made it easy to carry concealed (which was against regulations.) Typically they were either carried in a combat boot or sometimes under a BDU shirt.

The larger Mark 2 was popular with some for use in the field, where it could be carried on the LBE (load bearing equipment.). However, it was not very useful for the wide variety of rough tasks a field knife is required to perform,
which limited its’ popularity for general use. I hope this helps!
John

Return to “General Knife Discussion”