Stockman Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Stockman Knives

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Good information Wayne. I’ve been guilty of posting cattle knives in this thread. Now that you have defined the difference, I won’t be making that mistake again. Much appreciated.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Flylabel
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Flylabel »

Yes Whitneyrfile. One place for Stockman PK's would save me some time researching them. Much appreciated for bringing the question up. :D
Flylabel
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Flylabel »

Yes Whitneyrfile. One place for Stockman PK's would save me some time researching them. Much appreciated for bringing the question up. :D
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

btrwtr wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:30 pm Some very nice knives posted in this thread but not all knives posted here or in the thread I'm attaching are stockman pattern knives.

Here is another thread from AAPK that is also dedicated to the stockman pattern. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... t=stockman

I think that it is important that we know what the definition of a stockman pattern knife is. A stockman knife and a cattle knife are two different patterns and since this is a knife forum we should be aware of what defines each and not confuse the two.

There are always some grey lines between definitions and it is hard to cover every nuance when it comes to knives but in general the difference between the Stockman and the Cattle knife is the shape of the frame. Stockman patterns being three or more blades and serpentine shaped. Cattle knives being normally but not necessarily equal ended (or any other shape other than serpentine) with three or more blades. Either pattern can have but does not necessarily have a punch blade. Both patterns are normally heavier frame working knives.
::tu:: Thank for posting this. I been hoping someone with better communication skills than myself would address this problem. ::handshake::
David
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Here's an old Imperial I sold a few years ago. This knife has solid nickel silver bolsters and shield, brass liners, and beautiful old handles, I think it was made in the 1930's. The reputation of Imperial declined when they switched to manufacture of the shell handled knives but these older ones are quality.
Attachments
IMG_1572.jpg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

msteele6 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:43 pm Here's an old Imperial I sold a few years ago. This knife has solid nickel silver bolsters and shield, brass liners, and beautiful old handles, I think it was made in the 1930's. The reputation of Imperial declined when they switched to manufacture of the shell handled knives but these older ones are quality.
Beautiful knife, great covers and shape. Don't see covers like that much. And agree with ya, have a couple Imperial EZOs from WW2 and they are great knives, very well made, rock solid. But those shell knives.... Good show, like seeing stuff like that. ::tu:: ::tu::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Question ? Can a stockman have birds eyes ?(western states)
image.jpg
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Beautiful handles on both of these, guys!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I have fallen behind on keeping up with this thread.

Chickenman, in mid-May you posted two Bulldog Stockmans that are remarkably fine. Really got my attention.

Then, Sharpnshinyknives had some very excellent Henckels Stockmen. It seems to me that the Germans have really connected with this pattern.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Thomasg wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:16 am Question ? Can a stockman have birds eyes ?(western states)image.jpg
I would say yes. I’ve seen quite a few with them and your example is definitely a stockman style pattern from what I see.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

C-WADE7 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:12 pm
Thomasg wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:16 am Question ? Can a stockman have birds eyes ?(western states)image.jpg
I would say yes. I’ve seen quite a few with them and your example is definitely a stockman style pattern from what I see.
Birdseye stockman patterns were not uncommon. Schrade, Kabar, Case, Western, and several others made them. Case made 2 different Birdseye stockman versions, the 33044 (3-1/4 inch closed length) and 33092 (4 inch). IIRC both were discontinued during the XX era.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

tvic wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:37 pm Nice ones, dog and slick!
Here’s a 50th Anniversay Craftsman I took a pic of today.
Tim, you got a sweet one there! ::tu:: ::tu:: I am particularly fond of the Craftsman. ::nod::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

msteele6 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:43 pm Here's an old Imperial I sold a few years ago. This knife has solid nickel silver bolsters and shield, brass liners, and beautiful old handles, I think it was made in the 1930's. The reputation of Imperial declined when they switched to manufacture of the shell handled knives but these older ones are quality.
I used to get rid of the Imperials I picked in "lots" I bought, but I started keeping the old ones, I can feel the quality in my hand compared to the later ones. ::hmm::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:55 am Love that Craftsman Tim. Looks like a workhorse of a knife. Reminds me of my wife’s ranger stockman I gave her from a big collection I bought several years ago.

Got this one in for the store, but decided to keep it. It just feels “right” in hand. The stag is just smooth enough to feel like it’s been in my pocket for years and this size is perfect. It won’t be a user, but I sure am tempted to use it. Boker did a great job on these Henckels and it shows on knives like this one.
:shock: Now that is a keeper! :shock:

Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

That knife is purdy!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Just had to share this one. This is a Hen and Rooster Cattle Rustler stockman, and yes it is a stockman and not a cattle knife. I love these stockmans with this steer head shield and when it’s a stag handled one it’s just over the top. This knife just feels great in hand. Real tempted to keep this one.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:09 am Just had to share this one. This is a Hen and Rooster Cattle Rustler stockman, and yes it is a stockman and not a cattle knife. I love these stockmans with this steer head shield and when it’s a stag handled one it’s just over the top. This knife just feels great in hand. Real tempted to keep this one.
Sweet!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:09 am Just had to share this one. This is a Hen and Rooster Cattle Rustler stockman, and yes it is a stockman and not a cattle knife. I love these stockmans with this steer head shield and when it’s a stag handled one it’s just over the top. This knife just feels great in hand. Real tempted to keep this one.
Cool shield, I've never seen one.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Steve and David.
I’ve had these in blue bone and an orange/red acrylic but haven’t been able to score a stag until now. The blue bone is pretty sweet but this in stag is exquisite.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thomasg: Bird's eye bolsters on a stockman? Why not? Don't see many any more. Hare's a Kabar 1097 I really like. Solid piece, and if you drop it on grass or mud, there's a good chance you'll find it. ::tu:: J.O'..
Attachments
IMG_5686.jpg
IMG_5685.jpg
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

REALLY Nice Hen and Rooster, ssk!

Good looking Kabar, Ridgegrass!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Wow, gorgeous knife. Never seen a shield like that and I love it. Surprised a cattle skull is not used more, they rock it. Fabulous looking beauty. ::tu:: ::tu::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Tim and Iman.

Ridgegrass, I’ve had a few other stockmans with birdseye pins, both were Keen Kutters and they were nice. I like the slim profile of these. Nice knife.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

That is a very attractive knife, I'd keep and carry that one.... ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

SSk: Thanks, I like that slim frame too.
Here's an old KA-BAR in "yelluloid" with bird's eyes. Bet your H & R won't ever look like that. She's a real stunner. ::tu:: J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_5689.jpg
IMG_5687.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”