New to the forum and I have a few questions

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Seridium

New to the forum and I have a few questions

Post by Seridium »

Hello everyone, I have been in possession of these four pocket knifes that i am wondering if anyone can give me some info on.

Where can i post pictures on this forum for some expert advice as to the age and rarity of these knives i have had for many years how I acquired them was I ran one of the biggest storage facilities in my city for over 14 years and had found them in foreclosed lockers that we could not auction, i believe they are very old 1800’s pocket knifes.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Seridium.
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: New to the forum and I have a few questions

Post by beresman »

This is the right place to do it--and welcome to AAPK!
Brent
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::welcome:: to AAPK Seridium! ::handshake:: You can post your pictures just about anywhere on this forum. Once you've finished typing, look down to the left and you'll see "Attachments". Click-on that and "Add Files" will appear. If you click-on that all the pictures you've stored in your PC will come up. Simply choose a picture and hit "Insert" and it will add it to your post. From there you choose where in your post you want the pictures to be and hit "Place in line", and that's it! Good luck and looking forward to seeing your knives! 8)
8)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. I recommend you go here https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/ to the home page and have a look around at the various different subforums available. Near the top you will find AAPK Tips and Tricks where you can find instructions for posting pictures.

As you will see some of the subforums are dedicated to specific brands of knives. Since you don’t know what brand yours are, this “General Knife Discussion” forum where we are now is a good place to post your pictures and questions. It helps if you take and post clear in-focus pictures of the entire knife along with pictures of all markings on it. The tang area at the base of the blades typically will have the maker’s name stamped on it. If there is no maker’s name, or it’s illegible, then identifying it usually becomes difficult but someone may recognize the knife from its characteristics.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Welcome! When you take your pictures, please try to make them as clear and detailed as possible. Take pictures of the knife with all the blades in a position where we can see them clearly. Take close-up pictures of any writing, numbers or symbols stamped anywhere on the knife. The better the pictures, the more likely it will be that someone can help you.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Seridium

Post by Seridium »

Here they are.
Attachments
79F4FBB0-A449-435E-8F7D-9D32034A1031.jpeg
3A83B94F-A083-4780-B5A0-0DF28D5E5503.jpeg
86FE5FF0-75A4-4C72-A9D2-A4D0AE6F4037.jpeg
D2D344D1-4875-4D10-B2B9-3DA47B42D62A.jpeg
4263B773-A6BC-4C51-8587-8ED252F9A641.jpeg
CFF8B805-3545-47DF-9BAA-1E0A125F52B1.jpeg
BCB57336-275F-4362-B3D4-8DB847D81878.jpeg
F223E3F9-F9EC-43E4-A240-85EC34D40D62.jpeg
21C04FD1-B72E-4DE0-9228-09EFCA85197D.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Pictures are too fuzzy to tell much, especially the first two. I can make out the wording on the tang stamps on these:

H. BOKER & CO’S CUTLERY GERMANY - this stamp was used circa 1869-1914. A tree is stamped on the back of all blades.

RODGERS CUTLERS TO HER MAJESTY and NO. 6 NORFOLK ST. SHEFFIELD - several variations of these stamps were used between circa 1837-1901. A star and a cross are stamped on the back of the blades. Sometimes can be narrowed more specifically based on what is stamped on the master blade (not the tang), which I can’t read in your pictures.

The one stamped MADE IN WESTERN GERMANY is pretty much self explanatory based on when Western Germany was in existence.

The one with what appears to be greenish swirl handles is probably a Colonial or Imperial. It has what is called “shell construction” which is common for those makers. I can’t read whatever if anything is stamped on it. These were low-end inexpensive knives sold between about 1950s to 1970s.

Hope that info is helpful.

None of the knives are very rare. All appear to be in fair to poor condition with lots of wear - not uncommon for knives that old. You can find more about those brands here on AAPK by entering the company names into the ”Search” function found under Quicklinks on the upper left of this page.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Seridium

Post by Seridium »

Thank you for the info i will post a few better pictures
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

Hi Welcome to AAPK ::welcome:: You will find a wealth of info through AAPK ::tu::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”