Schrade Walden NY 896 K

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
GregoryK

Schrade Walden NY 896 K

Post by GregoryK »

A9542775-E683-47FB-9D9D-0B9EA1ED5F3F.jpeg
New member here
I found this today downstairs in one of my Tool boxes. I have no idea where I got this. I did some clean up and sharpening. Cool looking knife. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks!
ea42

Re: Schrade Walden NY 896 K

Post by ea42 »

Hey Gregory that's pretty cool! What you have there is an unfinished knife from the factory. The pins have been hammered but the bolsters were never glazed and the covers weren't hafted. I'll bet it didn't have an edge either. Pretty interesting. Do you recall how you got it? Possibly from an employee?

Eric
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hello Gregory,

::welcome:: to the AAPK! ::handshake:: Cool find! I've never run across an unfinished knife like that before. Very interesting! ::nod:: ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
GregoryK

Post by GregoryK »

Wow
That is pretty cool! Yeah, it was sorta dull but not completely blunt.
No, I don’t know anyone who works/worked at Schrade. To be honest I’m very new to the deeper edge of knife knowledge. I’ve always loved knives but I sure have a lot to learn.

I’ll have to find a finished version of the knife and compare. I was planning on using it as an everyday tool. Sounds like maybe Should I save it and use that for a reason to buy another knife!
TPK

Post by TPK »

GregoryK wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:18 am Wow
No, I don’t know anyone who works/worked at Schrade. To be honest I’m very new to the deeper edge of knife knowledge. I’ve always loved knives but I sure have a lot to learn.

I’ll have to find a finished version of the knife and compare. I was planning on using it as an everyday tool. Sounds like maybe Should I save it and use that for a reason to buy another knife!
::nod:: Exactly! Now your talkin! ::stir:: :lol:

Do some research on Schrade/Shrade Walden. An "All American" knife brand & very collectable. Lotta Schrade fans here on the AAPK who can help you with questions. Not me though. I don't know much, just talk a lot. :oops: Anyways, that's a good idea to try to find a finished example of the knife you have. Would be a cool pair or set in any collection. Knife collecting is a very fun & interesting hobby mixed with a good bit of american history. Great people here on the AAPK to hang around with & learn from. Hope you stick around & get involved in the discussions. ::nod:: ::handshake::

P.S.
Oh and you can also place "Want adds" here. Maybe someone here can help you find another one of them knives like yours that is finished. ::handshake:: Maybe. ::shrug::

GregoryK

Post by GregoryK »

TPK wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:44 am

Do some research on Schrade/Shrade Walden. An "All American" knife brand & very collectable. Lotta Schrade fans here on the AAPK who can help you with questions. Not me though. I don't know much, just talk a lot. :oops: Anyways, that's a good idea to try to find a finished example of the knife you have. Would be a cool pair or set in any collection. Knife collecting is a very fun & interesting hobby mixed with a good bit of american history. Great people here on the AAPK to hang around with & learn from. Hope you stick around & get involved in the discussions. ::nod:: ::handshake::

P.S.
Oh and you can also place "Want adds" here. Maybe someone here can help you find another one of them knives like yours that is finished. ::handshake:: Maybe. ::shrug::
Thanks TPK!
Yeah, I’m happy to find this group. I’ll be around like rust on an old blade. I have a lot to learn. :) ::hmm::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

GregoryK wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:42 am New.....
You might want to post your knife here also:
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=76507
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Yeah, to me, that's actually way cooler than a mint unused example, as finding one like that with that older stamp might be pretty difficult nowadays.

Here's a 34OT that is unfinished, notice the springs are high and unground.
34ot3.JPG

If you do find another example, you could make a display with a before and after look.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Just to aid in your search, the knife has what appears to be "Butter and Molasses" celluloid handle covers.

The good news is they're reasonably common so you can probably find another. The bad news is celluloid is a notoriously unstable early "synthetic" material which can spontaneously disintegrate, giving off nitrous acid fumes. So best to store it away from any other metal items. No one knows what factors trigger celluloid "off gassing" and it may remain stable the next 100 years. Or it could start failing tomorrow. ::dang::

You can learn more about celluloid and its mysterious properties by using the keyword Search function found under Quicklinks on the upper left. Search for "gassing".

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TPK

Post by TPK »

GregoryK wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:24 am
TPK wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:44 am

P.S.
Thanks TPK!
Yeah, I’m happy to find this group. I’ll be around like rust on an old blade. I have a lot to learn. :) ::hmm::
Good deal Rusty! We're glad you came!. ::handshake:: ::super_happy:: :lol:

GregoryK

Post by GregoryK »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:20 pm Welcome to AAPK. Just to aid in your search, the knife has what appears to be "Butter and Molasses" celluloid handle covers.

The good news is they're reasonably common so you can probably find another. The bad news is celluloid is a notoriously unstable early "synthetic" material which can spontaneously disintegrate, giving off nitrous acid fumes. So best to store it away from any other metal items. No one knows what factors trigger celluloid "off gassing" and it may remain stable the next 100 years. Or it could start failing tomorrow. ::dang::

You can learn more about celluloid and its mysterious properties by using the keyword Search function found under Quicklinks on the upper left. Search for "gassing".

Ken
Thanks Ken!! All the more reason to get another everyday blade! I have a friend who does art work for an engraving company. They engraved knives, guns, you name it. Well he said he’s working on getting me a 2 3/4 bladed pocket knife. Idk the brand but nonetheless I’m excited 😆
:) :)
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

::welcome:: Welcome to AAPK!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “General Knife Discussion”