Need help with knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
angellthewhat

Need help with knife

Post by angellthewhat »

Hello guys I found this weird looking pocket knife in my moms garage with some other stuff, but I still can’t seem to find much info on this. Could you please help and thank you.
Attachments
0E7B85A8-54B6-4150-982E-4468A01D12D2.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's It Worth?

Post by Madmarco »

I can't help identify your knife, Angell, but I'd like to ::welcome:: you to AAPK! ::handshake::
Check back to this thread regularly, cuz someone who recognizes the knife will possibly have some info for you.
It's a cool little gentleman's knife though!
8)
8)
Samb

Post by Samb »

What it all comes to the worth of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Samb wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:12 am What it all comes to the worth of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it.
Exactamundo!
8)
8)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

angellthewhat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:20 pm Hello guys I found this weird looking pocket knife in my moms garage with some other stuff, but I still can’t seem to find much info on this. Could you please help and thank you.
It looks like an advertising knife. Without seeing the markings on the blades that’s about all that can be said about it. Stampings on the blades is the most common method manufacturers use to mark the knife with their name. If you can post clear in-focus pictures of all the stamps on its blades, someone might recognize it and be able to tell you more. Probably should start a new thread for that in the Knife Q&A forum here.

Welcome to AAPK, but this thread is not about asking for opinions on knives. Recommend you read the first post in the thread. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

::facepalm:: Interesting how threads evolve. Very few of us read the first, original post to see what the subject of the conversation was intended to be. We just come along and post whatever, making an often misguided guess as to the intended subject of the thread. I’m guilty of it myself.

In the case of a post like this one that the admins deemed its content worthy of being a “sticky”, it’s a shame when it gets run “off the rails”. Maybe these sticky posts should be locked. ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Kimzilla wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:51 pm Ouch! I thought what I was saying was relevant because as I believe the original post stated or the point that I thought was trying to be made was that a knife's worth isn't always object, rather subjective. I was in no way trying to take the thread "off the rails". I apologize, as it seems my post irked you.
Nope, didn’t “irk” me. Just making an observation. Sorry if it appeared to be aimed at you, or anyone else in particular. That wasn’t the intent.

Straying from the OP context occurs a lot and in most threads is to be expected. Sorta like a group conversing around the coffee pot - the conversation wanders. As I said, I do it too. However in this case the OP was deemed important enough information to make it a “sticky”. Subsequent posts seem to be muddying that message, even to the extent of posting items and asking for their value - basically the antithesis of the OP.

I suspect most readers/posters don’t notice the thread is a sticky. That’s why I said maybe the thread should be locked, to preserve the original intent and prevent “thread wandering”. JMO ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You can take what Ken posted to the bank, Kim, he speaks it like it is, always!
8)
8)
pearlgearl

Post by pearlgearl »

What is it worth? I understand that is hard to say but the question is so much more difficult for this knife. This knife has no tang stamp or other identifying markers. IT does have a pretty stag handle, the blade itself is a rough cut of what looks like some good steel. idk if maybe someone had a nice knife go bad and tool a brush wheel to it maybe and thereby rubbed off the tangs and other identifiers or if it is a handmade knife by someone who has no stamp
Attachments
IMG20230817122953.jpg
IMG20230817123003.jpg
IMG20230817123006.jpg
IMG20230817123011.jpg
Gunsil

Re: Need help with knife

Post by Gunsil »

Angell, your knife is a pen knife. We would need to see photos of the blades where they meet the handle to see any maker's marks to ID the knife. It does seem like one blade is "peeking" up, that is the tip or point of the blade sits above the handle.

I don't really understand some of the replies here, somebody asks for info about an all metal pen knife, I did not even read that they asked a value, and somebody makes a totally unrelated post comparing brands of automatic knives. Then someone else posts about a home made looking fixed blade. Is there something I missed in the original post?
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Gunsil wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:03 pm Angell, your knife is a pen knife. We would need to see photos of the blades where they meet the handle to see any maker's marks to ID the knife. It does seem like one blade is "peeking" up, that is the tip or point of the blade sits above the handle.

I don't really understand some of the replies here, somebody asks for info about an all metal pen knife, I did not even read that they asked a value, and somebody makes a totally unrelated post comparing brands of automatic knives. Then someone else posts about a home made looking fixed blade. Is there something I missed in thee original post?
Threads have gotten mixed here for some reason. Need help with knife and what's it worth with parts deleted.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:23 pm
Gunsil wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:03 pm Angell, your knife is a pen knife. We would need to see photos of the blades where they meet the handle to see any maker's marks to ID the knife. It does seem like one blade is "peeking" up, that is the tip or point of the blade sits above the handle.

I don't really understand some of the replies here, somebody asks for info about an all metal pen knife, I did not even read that they asked a value, and somebody makes a totally unrelated post comparing brands of automatic knives. Then someone else posts about a home made looking fixed blade. Is there something I missed in thee original post?
Threads have gotten mixed here for some reason. Need help with knife and what's it worth with parts deleted.
????? Weird. How this thread became conflated with the “what’s it worth” sticky thread is mystifying. Some posts that were in that thread are now in this thread?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Dang I thought I'd got the coffee pot and the whisky bottle mix up again. ::woot:: ::uc:: ::dang:: ::shrug:: ::handshake::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

pearlgearl wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:33 pm What is it worth? I understand that is hard to say but the question is so much more difficult for this knife. This knife has no tang stamp or other identifying markers. IT does have a pretty stag handle, the blade itself is a rough cut of what looks like some good steel. idk if maybe someone had a nice knife go bad and tool a brush wheel to it maybe and thereby rubbed off the tangs and other identifiers or if it is a handmade knife by someone who has no stamp
Pearlgearl,
I believe that your knife is hand made. I enlarged one of your pictures, and it appears that your knife has a universally thin profile, and I see several curved marks along the blade. This makes me believe that it was made from a large circular saw blade.
If it was properly heat-treated, those tend to make very serviceable knives. It will probably have little to no collector value without provenance to some famous knife maker or something like that, but it will likely make a great hunting knife, or a great conversation piece.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230819-065921-349.png
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”