What's It Worth?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: What's It Worth?

Post by bestgear »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:36 am Something that would help us determine "what's it worth" would be in the AAPK stores to add the date a particular knife is sold from the store
Phil - A “Sold Out” status of a knife in the AAPK stores may not necessarily mean they were sold through AAPK or even sold at all, it just means it’s no longer available for sale in the AAPK Store.

But don’t let that stop you from readin' and thinkin'. ::handshake::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Clack

Post by Clack »

I'm a starting collector and before I buy a collector's item, I first look up the history of the prices that were sold via the webshop at the time. I also look at the price that was sold second-hand. There are also other important factors that determine the value, such as, was it a limited production? How many were made in total? Which year? How is the condition of the knife? And so on...
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Welcome to the world of knife collecting, Clack! You’re correct on all points, but as you can see from this thread, what something is worth is a very personal thing- just like “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” But you’re smart to do your research. Helps to reduce the need to kick yourself in the butt later because you way overpaid for something. The only thing I can add is, when I see a knife for sale that I want, I scour the Internet to see what another source or sources may be selling it for. I’d hate to pay $200 for something only to realize later if I’d looked a little further, I coulda had it for $100.
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

What knives (and anything else) are worth is what someone is willing to pay for them, plain and simple. Condition is an important factor. Desirability among collectors does impact the price but not necessarily the rarity.
A good example is the Beanie Baby craze. People paid ridiculous amounts of money for tiny stuffed toys. Some were rare and thus more expensive and desirable to collectors. Most of them ended up decomposing in landfills when the craze ran its course. Buy what you like, and do some research to avoid being ripped off. I tend to buy the classic traditional ones rather than the trendy ones. To me the so called tactical knives may have a place but I find them ugly. Think of it as YOUR collection and don’t be influenced by what others think.
Just my opinion for what it is worth.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Cats Knives

Post by Cats Knives »

Wayne,
Is there any where or anyone that could do appraisals on knives in an estate?
I am in California, and have been trying to locate someone knowledgeable to give me equitable distribution values on my dad's vintage collection.
I am still busy researching and inventorying the 60+ knives.
This site is a terrific resource!!
My concern is that I will have so many varied values from all over that I won't be able to set a real value on each item to be able to divide them up equitably.
I am really just trying to find an apples to apples comparison on them all in respect to each other to divide them.
Thank you for you thoughts...
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

PM sent
trickierwizati

Post by trickierwizati »

Assessing the value of knives is a complex process that depends on many factors, including condition, rarity, demand, and even the personal preferences of the collector. There are many opinions and consensuses to be found on the AAPK, but it is important to consider them with caution. The most reliable way to find out the value is to discuss it with experienced collectors and sellers. I hope I helped you....
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

trickierwizati wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:15 pm Assessing the value of knives is a complex process that depends on many factors, including condition, rarity, demand, and even the personal preferences of the collector. There are many opinions and consensuses to be found on the AAPK, but it is important to consider them with caution. The most reliable way to find out the value is to discuss it with experienced collectors and sellers. I hope I helped you....

::welcome:: to AAPK! I once heard this expression- "He could sell a ketchup sandwich to a lady wearing white gloves." I think the sales pitch helps too. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
kschmith

Post by kschmith »

Thanks, Wayne. I feel smarter already (I'm probably not. But thanks)
enuf
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by enuf »

I gotta a question - I have some name brand knives, several Case in particular, but a few other brands. Many of them have company logos or some kind of promotional writing on them (I am not talking about low dollar knives here - got buckets of them). Question is: and to keep some kind of standard so as not to muddy the water, does this "advertisement" effect the value?
Dan - ATA NSSA
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Typically advertising logos detract from the value of knives, unless someone is buying them as advertising memorabilia. Sometimes it has little or no effect. It is very rare that it increases the value though.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
enuf
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by enuf »

That is what I figured the answer would be - thanks
Dan - ATA NSSA
Aintright
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Aintright »

treefarmer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:31 pm Great post! Very insightful. ::tu::
Treefarmer
I agree totally ::tu::
Aintright
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Aintright »

A knife is only worth what someone will pay for it.I have made some good purchases and some not to good.It all depends on what someone is willing to give,in saying this is there such a thing is what's it worth
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Short answer: If all subjective variables are eliminated, the value of anything, even life itself, is zero.
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

QTCut5 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:46 pm Short answer: If all subjective variables are eliminated, the value of anything, even life itself, is zero.
Q - hopefully it is objective variables like water, love, and oxygen that allow us to value life but I agree with statement about the elimination of all subjective variables.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

bestgear wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:21 pm
QTCut5 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:46 pm Short answer: If all subjective variables are eliminated, the value of anything, even life itself, is zero.
Q - hopefully it is objective variables like water, love, and oxygen that allow us to value life but I agree with statement about the elimination of all subjective variables.
Yes, Tom, I mostly agree. ::nod:: Although, I would also argue that life can still have value even in the absence of those objective variables...sometimes even greater value (consider how much a drowning man values life when being deprived of oxygen). ::hmm::

To be clear, the word "objective" can be used either as a noun (synonymous with goal or outcome), or an adverb (meaning observable without bias, emotion or opinion)

Objective variables such as food, water and oxygen are what allow us to sustain life (the objective function of those variables) - which some people value and others do not - but those things do not give life objective value. In fact, there is no such thing as "objective value" because the very concept of value is inherently subjective, it can't be observed, measured or gauged without some element of bias or opinion. The closest thing we have to "objective value" would be shared norms or collective/consensus agreements of value.

In terms of the value of a particular knife, I suppose when someone asks "What's the value?", the best answer they can reasonably hope to get is a commonly agreed upon value by a majority of knowledgeable, experienced or qualified knife appraisers. And even if such a value could be determined, I suspect there would likely still be some degree of discrepancy even among the experts. ::undecided::

~Q~
Rockingkj
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rockingkj »

It’s been quite a while since I sold on eBay. Back then I tried to get good pictures and descriptions and ran an auction that usually started at under $10. I figured what ever the knife brought at the end, was the value at that moment in time. An item is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Some knives did not bring what I thought they should but most probably bought more than I would have tagged em for outright sale. Value is subjective to each individuals likes. Been to estate auctions that the old farmers like the seed corn advertisement knives and paid a bunch for em, I had no interest and would not have paid a Buck for one. It’s all relative.
You can always get more money, good old knives are hard to find.
808Knife

Post by 808Knife »

So hard to value things these days
QGofLake

Post by QGofLake »

That is an accurate and very sobering philosophical assessment. Fortunately for our sake, the human element is the realm in which we live and operate.
foxfirerodandgun
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by foxfirerodandgun »

I'm not sure if this interest regarding the value of a certain knife has been previously discussed here, but where the value of a certain knife, or most anything else collectible, or of interest, is concerned, I am always interested in what the original selling price of that item was and when it was made. This is of special interest to me regarding older and/or collectible items. And very true, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
A GUN MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE, ONLY JESUS CAN SAVE YOUR SOUL.
enuf
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by enuf »

foxfirerodandgun wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:06 am I'm not sure if this interest regarding the value of a certain knife has been previously discussed here, but where the value of a certain knife, or most anything else collectible, or of interest, is concerned, I am always interested in what the original selling price of that item was and when it was made. This is of special interest to me regarding older and/or collectible items. And very true, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Dude - I do not own an antiques store or deal in that stuff at all. Do I shop at them - yes - why, because my wife says we are. ::smirk:: But what I think the value of the original selling price was compared the selling price today - no rhyme or reason; don't get too caught up in that; people have their own reasons what to collect and why.
Dan - ATA NSSA
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

foxfirerodandgun wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:06 am I am always interested in what the original selling price of that item was and when it was made.
Nothing wrong with that if for no other reason than to gain a historical perspective. Furthermore, knowing the original retail price of a knife and comparing it to current selling prices can reveal, to a certain degree, value appreciation or depreciation. Take, for example, the current selling price of many GEC knives on the secondary (eBay) market compared to the original price charged by certified GEC dealers. The instant appreciation would suggest a general consensus value that is actually higher than the manufacturer's original declared value.

~Q~
foxfirerodandgun
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by foxfirerodandgun »

enuf wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:00 am
foxfirerodandgun wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:06 am I'm not sure if this interest regarding the value of a certain knife has been previously discussed here, but where the value of a certain knife, or most anything else collectible, or of interest, is concerned, I am always interested in what the original selling price of that item was and when it was made. This is of special interest to me regarding older and/or collectible items. And very true, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Dude - I do not own an antiques store or deal in that stuff at all. Do I shop at them - yes - why, because my wife says we are. ::smirk:: But what I think the value of the original selling price was compared the selling price today - no rhyme or reason; don't get too caught up in that; people have their own reasons what to collect and why.
The historical aspect of an item, such as when it was made; the original price; etc. is what interests me personally. I find this information quite valuable when collecting certain items. It also plays a significant part in the process of "culling the herd" or upgrading a particular item in a collection. As mentioned in the above post, and I find this to ring true in many cases, the price of something newly introduced into the retail market tends to decrease as time goes on, especially if similar items are available at a lower price. BTW I do research; buy; & sell vintage and antique items since I am retired to stay busy so I don't become a "couch potato".
A GUN MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE, ONLY JESUS CAN SAVE YOUR SOUL.
enuf
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by enuf »

Let me rethink what I was trying to say - the original price also interests me too, somewhat, I generally don't spend a lot of time researching that information; but, if I can find it fairly easily, it does interest me. I think what I poorly was trying to say is that - it would not make me buy or not buy something.
Dan - ATA NSSA

Return to “General Knife Discussion”