What is this camillus?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Thunderbeardly1

What is this camillus?

Post by Thunderbeardly1 »

Found an estate sale Camillus 78 that doesn’t seem to match anything I can find. Can someone help identify?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What is this camillus?

Post by Ridgegrass »

Wow, never seen one like that! ??? J.O.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Unusual little "Cami" you have there, TB!
::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake::
8)
8)
Thunderbeardly1

Post by Thunderbeardly1 »

Do you think it’s more something that is more of hodgepodge of pieces? Wondering if the scales are replacements too and was put back together with spare parts
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Thunderbeardly1 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:52 pm Do you think it’s more something that is more of hodgepodge of pieces? Wondering if the scales are replacements too and was put back together with spare parts
If it is stamped 78 on the pile side of main it’s possibly a Sword Brand blade with the etch worn off . The frame looks to be Camillus of an older period .
Could be wrong and if so please chime in . Looked thru the Camillus collectors site / old magazines and that’s how this came about . Couldn’t find a 78 that wasn’t a Sword brand . How long is the frame and are the pins 2 different metals ? Can’t tell from pic. 2 look brass and 1 looks steel ?
JP
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I haven't seen that type of file work on a factory Camillus. I suspect that someone has taken it apart and done the file work, quite nicely I might add. Made in the 1950s would be my guesstimation.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Wondering if it's not actually filed but stamped. I have this long-line Camillus "69" with "rippled" and coined liners that's similar. Close up the OP looks stamped. ::shrug:: J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_5391.jpg
IMG_5390.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Studying the work on the back of the OP Camillus knife, I tend to agree with Dale's assessment. Looking closely there are several irregularities that probably indicate hand work.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Ripster wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:10 pm
Thunderbeardly1 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:52 pm Do you think it’s more something that is more of hodgepodge of pieces? Wondering if the scales are replacements too and was put back together with spare parts
If it is stamped 78 on the pile side of main it’s possibly a Sword Brand blade with the etch worn off . The frame looks to be Camillus of an older period .
Could be wrong and if so please chime in . Looked thru the Camillus collectors site / old magazines and that’s how this came about . Couldn’t find a 78 that wasn’t a Sword brand . How long is the frame and are the pins 2 different metals ? Can’t tell from pic. 2 look brass and 1 looks steel ?
I have owned two examples like the OP knife - same pattern, same file work. Each of mine had jigged dark composition handles. All original as far as I could tell.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Oddly, The "filework" ends short of the left end in the last picture. Strange that a customizer would do that after disassembly, filing, and reassemby. Could it be he was just practicing or learning on a Camillus? ::shrug:: I gotta stick with it being stamped and stock. JMHO. J.O'.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Here are pics of one of the two that I have owned.
Attachments
IMG_8371.JPG
IMG_8373.JPG
IMG_8376.JPG
IMG_8377.JPG
IMG_8378.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

knifeaholic wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:40 pm Here are pics of one of the two that I have owned.
Thank you Steve ! Nice Work on the springs on that one . Did find one on line in bone ,same frame as yours and the OP knife. No model #
Does yours have a # on pile side of main ? Think Camillus stopped that sometime in the long line early period . Late 50s early 60 s IIRC.
JP
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Ripster wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:01 pm
knifeaholic wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:40 pm Here are pics of one of the two that I have owned.
Thank you Steve ! Nice Work on the springs on that one . Did find one on line in bone ,same frame as yours and the OP knife. No model #
Does yours have a # on pile side of main ? Think Camillus stopped that sometime in the long line early period . Late 50s early 60 s IIRC.
It has pattern # 60 on the back tang.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”