Greenhorn to collecting

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
JimGinSC

Greenhorn to collecting

Post by JimGinSC »

Greetings boys and girls,
"Jim G in SC" here.
Thank you for accepting me!

"What brought me to this lowly state?" :wink:
I've always been interested in knives but was always nervous about taking the collecting plunge. About a year ago I was allowed to view, and purchase a few of, my "2nd dad's" knife collection. He was quite well known locally for it. "Preacher" was the Mr. Haney of the area. He has since passed away and I was willed first opportunity at his entire collection of something over 500 knives. I was honored that he would think this of me and could not refuse the sale. My only regret is that I did not get at least some of his backstories on them. His children had no interest in the collection, but are grateful that it remained in the extended family intact.

I've been using AAPK for the past few weeks in my research due to the fact that a lot of my research led me here. I felt it was only right that I officially join the community here. There is a wealth of knowledge here and, from the posts I've read, very helpful members. I look forward to eventually becoming one of those members as I gain knowledge.

Well, this was lengthier than I'd planned but that's the gist of my story. Please don't hesitate if you have questions for me.

Jim G (yes, in SC)
Jim G in SC

“Mama made me quit carrying a knife when I got big enough to kill a man with my bare hands."
Samb

Re: Greenhorn to collecting

Post by Samb »

Welcome aboard!
charlesf20

Post by charlesf20 »

Welcome. Glad you came.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Welcome aboard!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Sounds like you have quite a collection, you have found the right place to enquire about any you have. Welcome. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Lots of great knife info here, Jim. ::welcome:: to AAPK, the friendliest knife forum on the web in my opinion.
😉👍

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

Welcome Jim. As a member , it’s your duty to start posting pictures of your new collection! ::nod::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Welcome, Jim...can't wait to see what you got in your "instant collection. :D
~Q~
JimGinSC

Post by JimGinSC »

Rdubya21 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:30 am Welcome Jim. As a member , it’s your duty to start posting pictures of your new collection! ::nod::
Thanks! I'll get started soon. Pics? I haven't even seen them all yet! :lol:
Jim G in SC

“Mama made me quit carrying a knife when I got big enough to kill a man with my bare hands."
JimGinSC

Post by JimGinSC »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:47 am Welcome, Jim...can't wait to see what you got in your "instant collection. :D
Yep me too HAHAHA!!!

I feel like the "instant Collection" is cheating just a little (like the Grand Canyon is a little creek), but I offset that out of preservation of it.
Jim G in SC

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Howdy, JimGinSC. ::handshake::
Glad you decided to become part of the crew! Very seldom does a post with a question concerning a knife go unanswered. For that matter as you probably already noticed, there is a little bit of everything on this family friendly forum. In addition to pocketknives you'll find, photography, hunting, fishing, guns, matchbox cars, cooking, gardening, a place to request prayer for issues of life, music, the list goes on. ::tu::
Folks here from every walk of life, some are very knowledgeable, some of us are still learning every day and once in a while someone will come by that knows all the answers. :roll:
Like others have mentioned, we all love to see pictures. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

::welcome::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Welcome Jim, I joined AAPK for similar reasons.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Welcome ::welcome:: Jim
I'm also from South Carolina if you get around to the Greenville Gun Show stop by and say hello ::handshake::
JimGinSC

Post by JimGinSC »

kennedy knives wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:39 pm Welcome ::welcome:: Jim
I'm also from South Carolina if you get around to the Greenville Gun Show stop by and say hello ::handshake::
Thank you! I’d considered it Saturday since I’m in the upstate. But I’m taking my grandson to a Christmas parade. :)

But keep me posted. I’ve been to this one before but it was for the other toys lol.
Jim G in SC

JimGinSC

Post by JimGinSC »

treefarmer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:30 am Howdy, JimGinSC. ::handshake::
Glad you decided to become part of the crew! Very seldom does a post with a question concerning a knife go unanswered. For that matter as you probably already noticed, there is a little bit of everything on this family friendly forum. In addition to pocketknives you'll find, photography, hunting, fishing, guns, matchbox cars, cooking, gardening, a place to request prayer for issues of life, music, the list goes on. ::tu::
Folks here from every walk of life, some are very knowledgeable, some of us are still learning every day and once in a while someone will come by that knows all the answers. :roll:
Like others have mentioned, we all love to see pictures. :)
Treefarmer
Thank you! I’ve put up a few pictures. Now I need to go find the photography threads 😂😂
Jim G in SC

JimGinSC

Post by JimGinSC »

There’s a few pictures up now. I’ll get more posted as I get to the knives. It’s a daunting, if not futile, task of sorting, organizing, cataloging, etc. Primarily, I’m just taking my time going through them; do a little research, check for clumps of rust, give them a little drink of oil, and see which one I grab next.

Thanks all for the welcoming.
Jim G
Jim G in SC

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Grab a rack and stow your gear. You've landed in one of the finest knife forums on the web.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

::welcome:: welcome to AAPK! We are glad to have you here. There are a lot of good men and women on this forum, and we love sharing knife pictures, knife stories, life stories, good times, bad times...
I hope you find yourself at home here amongst us!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Member Introductions”