Hi from Germany :-)

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
TPK

Hi from Germany :-)

Postby TPK » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:35 am

Hi folks,

Sorry but I overlooked this introductions thread. Been here a few days now and really enjoying being here! I was born in Western MD, grew up in Eastern FL and have lived here in Southern Germany since 1991. My english is a bit rusty after all these years and it wasn't that great to begin with but I'll do my best.

Take care and have a nice weekend everbody,

Tom

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Hi from Germany :-)

Postby edge213 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:14 am

Welcome to AAPK
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Doc B
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Doc B » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:24 am

Guten Morgen...from Texas!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Steve Warden

Postby Steve Warden » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:32 am

Welcome!
I was stationed at Rhein Main AB from 1983 to 1986. My son was born in Wiesbaden. Would LOVE to go back!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:40 am

TPK wrote:Hi folks,

Sorry but I overlooked this introductions thread. Been here a few days now and really enjoying being here! I was born in Western MD, grew up in Eastern FL and have lived here in Southern Germany since 1991. My english is a bit rusty after all these years and it wasn't that great to begin with but I'll do my best.

Take care and have a nice weekend everbody,

Tom

Tom, welcome to the forum. You and I have interacted already a good bit. It’s a pleasure talking with you. I am glad that you are here and will stick around for a very long time.
I have taken German and made it to the third level of Rosetta Stone, but the one thing that hangs me up on that system is having to spell German words. I can’t get it right to save me. It has me in a bad habit of pronouncing everyday words in German, plus when I type I am constantly capitalizing all nouns.
I started learning German because of my ancestry and my company offers trips as an incentive and one trip was to Germany where you get to spend a week in your own Porsche and drive the autobahn. I never did earn that trip and hope to do it on my own someday. I want to be able to interact fluently if I ever get there.
Again, glad you are here.
Mark. SSk
SSk (Mark)
“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs

samb1955

Postby samb1955 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:41 pm

Welcome to the forum.

TPK

Postby TPK » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi SSK,

Hey thats great for your health that you are learning a language. I took a free MOOC=(Massive Open Online Course) from the University of Tasmania around Christmas time. It was called "Preventing Dementia". I learned in that course that one of the best ways to keep your brain funktioning as it should is to exercise it as much as possible.:

Like by means of interaction with others such as here. We have interacted with each other several times now. I try to remember things about you and you try to remember things about me. This forces the brain to stay active and work by remembering details and this in turn keeps the brain healthier for longer. But here is the good news for you, they say that one of the very best things you can do to keep the brain healthy is to learn a new language. This forces the brain to remember the words you learn over a prolonged period of time. Normally for years. And that is supposedly one of the best ways of maintaining good mental health. So keep on learning my friend. It will benifit you not only with more wisdom but also with better health and memory.

For anyone who enjoys learning, search the internet for MOOC's. Many of them are for free and even offer you a certificate of completion like the one I took just for fun and out of curiosity to find out how they work. The one I took was like 4 parts of 2-3 hours of reading and watching videos, followed by a ten question quiz at the end of each part. You had to get 7 from 10 questions right before passing on to the next part of the course but you could retake the quiz as often as you liked so you can't even really fail unless you give up. And..., you may even find some job related courses you can take. It's good when asking for a pay raise or when applying for a new job. Certificates are always impressive and it shows your willingness to learn new things, shows that your not lazy and so on and so forth. Think about it. ::tu::

Take care Mark (if I remembered right ::hmm:: ) lol

Tom

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Tom, we have already interacted some on other posts but Welcome to AAPK. I took 3 years of German in high school, then didn’t use it for about twenty years. But then my work sent me on a lot of international travel to Europe and Asia. I spent a lot of time in Germany so my high school German came back to me to some degree. I have been all over Germany, from Düsseldorf to Dresden to Hamburg (where I could understand folks) to Munich (where I couldn’t understand anyone :lol: ) and points in between. One of the best vacations I ever had was a week my wife and I spent at a Gasthof in a small town (im Schwarzwald) where no one spoke English. I have many humorous anecdotes about my poor attempts to speak and interpret German with the native speakers, and their reactions trying to politely and patiently interact with me. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

TPK

Postby TPK » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Hi Mumbleypeg,

Man thats a hard name to remember. Went back and looked at it like 3 times. Hope I got it right. Sounds like you have a good job there. If you don't mind the question, what do you do that you get to travel around like that? Wish I could get paid to travel to the US. That would be awesome!

I have done several different things over here. 8-yrs. as a carpenter & roofer, 10-yrs. as a CNC-grinder, 5-yrs. quality control and my latest and hopefully last type of work is warehouse logistiks.

Talk to ya soon,

Tom

Quick Steel
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:23 pm

I lived for a year near the end of the tram line in Munchen. That was long ago while in the Army. Welcome to AAPK.
"Life is good if you don't weaken." AG Russell

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Tom, I worked 40 years for a Fortune 500 global semiconductor electronics company. I traveled all over the U.S., Canada and Mexico, Europe, Asia and Japan. After I “retired” I did consulting for several years in many of those same places. Sometimes I was in one city for only a day or two, and sometimes I was there for a month or more at a time. Over the years I went to most places multiple times, which made it interesting to watch how things change over a period of many years.

Although people often think of travel as being “cool”, trust me if you do it much it’s a hassle. Especially getting to and from places and living out of a suitcase in hotel rooms, away from your family. You get tired of it real quick!

By the way, mumbleypeg (sometimes spelled mumblypeg, mumbley-peg, mumblety-peg, etc) is/was an American game played with pocket knives, usually by schoolboys. There are several variations of the game, I think the differences related to the region of the country you lived in. When I was a boy we played a version of it, and several other pocket knife-centered games, in the school yard at recess or before school while waiting for the school bell to ring. (And in case you’re wondering I don’t recall anyone ever being injured by a knife while playing those games). :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey

Doc B
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Doc B » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:03 pm

Tom,
We were in Germany, from the summer of 1994 through the summer of 1997. I was in the Air Force, at Ramstein Air Base. I could just manage to get a room and a beer with Mein schlechtes Deutsch sprechen. Loved Germany!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby philco » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:48 am

I've never been to Germany or even attempted to speak the language, but I'm still glad to have you join us here at AAPK. Make yourself at home. ::handshake::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Please visit my AAPK store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/philco

TPK

Postby TPK » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:49 am

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone. It's great to be here and I am deeply enjoying chatting with all you fellow Americans.

@Mumbleypeg: A pocket knife game huh? I'll have to do some research on that subject. Sounds interesting.

Semicoductors huh? Wow!!! Very Impressive line of work!!! That is a topic I don't know too much about but brings up the topic of one of my other hobbies, penny stocks. If you ever have the time and get bored, you could take a look at Weebit-Nano for me and tell me what your impression of them is.

They are listed on the ASX, have an impressive BOD (David-"Dadi"-Perlmutter) and are working together with Prof. James Tour of Rice University in Texas & CEA/Leti in France useing Silicon Oxide to produce a disruptive new Non-volatile-Memory / Resistive Random-Access Memory or ("ReRAM"). They have already successfuly produced 40nm chips, are currently working on 28nm chips and may advance to far smaller scales over time. Now that may sound like I know what I'm talking about but I really don't. Anyways, I don't want to get too far off topic but like I said, I'd love to hear what you think of them if you ever get the chance to look at them. https://www.weebit-nano.com/ A simple ::tu:: or ::td:: would be helpful to me. Thanks in advanced Ken, just incase you do Check them out.

Almost forgot to mention that they are also working on some really ground breaking things such as "IoT", "AI" and "PIM".

Greetings from across the big pond,

Tom

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:11 pm

Tom, I’m not a stock advisor and if you knew my record at picking stocks you wouldn’t ask my opinion. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Member Introductions”