Hi from Germany :-)

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Hi from Germany :-)

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

TPK wrote:Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone. It's great to be here and I am deeply enjoying chatting with all you fellow Americans.

@Mumbleypeg: A pocket knife game huh? I'll have to do some research on that subject. Sounds interesting.

Semicoductors huh? Wow!!! Very Impressive line of work!!! That is a topic I don't know too much about but brings up the topic of one of my other hobbies, penny stocks. If you ever have the time and get bored, you could take a look at Weebit-Nano for me and tell me what your impression of them is.

They are listed on the ASX, have an impressive BOD (David-"Dadi"-Perlmutter) and are working together with Prof. James Tour of Rice University in Texas & CEA/Leti in France useing Silicon Oxide to produce a disruptive new Non-volatile-Memory / Resistive Random-Access Memory or ("ReRAM"). They have already successfuly produced 40nm chips, are currently working on 28nm chips and may advance to far smaller scales over time. Now that may sound like I know what I'm talking about but I really don't. Anyways, I don't want to get too far off topic but like I said, I'd love to hear what you think of them if you ever get the chance to look at them. https://www.weebit-nano.com/ A simple ::tu:: or ::td:: would be helpful to me. Thanks in advanced Ken, just incase you do Check them out.

Almost forgot to mention that they are also working on some really ground breaking things such as "IoT", "AI" and "PIM".

Greetings from across the big pond,

Tom
Tom, I just retired after 26 years as a stock broker/ financial advisor. My advice and ignore this if you like since you didn’t ask me, is to avoid penny stocks. Penny stocks always have a lot of hype surrounding them. Typically if you are reading or getting information that tells you all of that information that you have on it, it probably came from a promoter of the stock. There are companies that get paid a lot of money to pump these stocks up for insiders who are just waiting to sell their shares. It’s called pump and dump. Penny stocks are the target of these enterprises. Many manipulators have gone to jail over these schemes. So first of all question the information you are getting on this, the source and the motive.
Secondly. Penny stocks trade on the “pink sheets” and have very low registration requirements, which makes them especially prone to misinformation.
Thirdly, the fundamentals of these companies stink. They play games w/ the numbers. Take a look at any penny stock and look at the history of stock issuance. You will see the number of shares starting low and going up by millions of shares per year. In other words the company is selling more stock and diluting the value of all the stock out there. Start up companies do this on a regular basis and continually knock the price of the stock down raising money to operate.
Along the same line as stock issuance is convertible debt. Debt that converts to stock in the future if the price rises. It’s a double ripoff. They have borrowed money from some sucker w/ the promise that when the stock hit’s a high price that is agreed upon, to bond converts to stock and guess what happens then? More stock is issued and the price drops again. You have to dig through the K-1 filings to find this information out. If you got to the company website and look under investor relations you can find all the filings the company has made. Now you have to search through each one to find what you are looking for.
Another source for the filings is “Free Edgar” website.
My best advice is that penny stocks are lottery tickets. It’s not investing, its speculating and real investing is not speculating. Stick w/ quality companies that don’t play these games.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
TPK

Post by TPK »

Ok Ken and SSK,

Thanks for the advice and the warning. And yes, I have been burnt bad before (I'll just say DOT-COM Bubble/Invesco New Markets) but I keep hoping I can find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

One more question SSK. What about Dividend Stocks or Dividend ETF's? Or something else? Gold? Silver? Platin? There must be some way to get ahead. ::shrug:: Sure can't get ahead from work alone. At least I have never have been able to get ahead. I'm not lazy either. I work like a dog. I have often worked more than one job over long periods of time. Just never get paid much. I've gotta find something soon or I'll stay poor forever. I either have to find a short cut or a job that pays me good. And guess what, they don't have jobs that pay well for foreigners with a HS- Diploma here so I need a short cut, or a plan, or a trick, or something. You got any ideas for me?

On the other hand, my Grandmother always said..., "If you want to double your money, fold it and put it back in your wallet." :mrgreen:

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say! :D

Have a good one,

Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

TPK wrote:Ok Ken and SSK,

Thanks for the advice and the warning. And yes, I have been burnt bad before (I'll just say DOT-COM Bubble/Invesco New Markets) but I keep hoping I can find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

One more question SSK. What about Dividend Stocks or Dividend ETF's? Or something else? Gold? Silver? Platin? There must be some way to get ahead. ::shrug:: Sure can't get ahead from work alone. At least I have never have been able to get ahead. I'm not lazy either. I work like a dog. I have often worked more than one job over long periods of time. Just never get paid much. I've gotta find something soon or I'll stay poor forever. I either have to find a short cut or a job that pays me good. And guess what, they don't have jobs that pay well for foreigners with a HS- Diploma here so I need a short cut, or a plan, or a trick, or something. You got any ideas for me?

On the other hand, my Grandmother always said..., "If you want to double your money, fold it and put it back in your wallet." :mrgreen:

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say! :D

Have a good one,

Tom
Tom, I really can’t give you specific ideas with out doing my background work on you, risk tolerance, time frame, net worth etc. I don’t do that anymore. Because I don’t do that, I can speak in generalities about this here. My most successful clients, invested in dividend paying stocks. Look at the “Dividend Aristocrats” first. These are blue chip companies that have increased their dividend every year for 25 years or more. These are the cream of the crop. You can Google dividend aristocrats and find a list. From that list find the ones that you are familiar with and try to buy the ones that pay around 3% dividend or more.
You can also look at Dividend Champions and Dividend Achievers. Shorter time frames raising dividends. Some really good companies only started paying dividends less that 10 years ago and shouldn’t be ruled out. Apple, Cisco come to mind.
Find a broker dealer that allows you to “dollar cost average” and you can set up a program to invest every month into these companies. You won’t find “penny stocks” on any DCA lists, usually only the biggest companies.
There are no short cuts to acquiring wealth. It takes time, money and smart choices. In 26 years I grew an office from 0 assets and clients to 700 clients and 150 million in assets. Not one of all the people I worked with ever got rich quick by finding that one stock that made them rich. I did have people who bought good stocks and held them for decades and did very well. Utilities, oil, banks and pharmaceutical companies are the ones that grew and grew.
I hope this helps you and I wish you all the best.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
TPK

Post by TPK »

Thanks SSK,

That is what I've been thinking for a couple of years now but was not sure If I was on the right track or not. I like the buyupside page. It's easy to work with and find things. https://www.buyupside.com/dividendarist ... sorted.php
l will try to get started going in this direction as soon as I can. Thanks again for your honest oppinion. ::tu::

Gotta get to work now,

Take care,

Tom

TPK

Post by TPK »

Hi again SSK,

Didn't have much time to write back this morning but I am TOTALLY STOKED that you have shared this/your financial wisdom with me and anyone else who may happen to read your last post. Thank you! I believe that a man with your background and experience knows exactly what works, how it works, why it works ect. And what does not work.

As I said, I have been thinking I should try investing in dividend stocks for some time now but I have always shyed away from it because of 2 reasons.:

Nr. 1) I wasn't 100% sure if it's really a good stratigie or if it was just another one of my get rich quick ideas.
Nr. 2) It's also been a question of not haveing enough money to invest enough at once to really make it worth the fee of 20-Euros.

I am gonna spend some more time on this theme now. Read a book or two about it and try to make (small but long term) investments in the direction of a better retirement. Im 46 now, so if I start right away, It can still make a difference in 20 years. Thanks again for your thoughts on this subject! I owe you one! ::handshake::

I wish you and all the other great AAPK members a beautiful Easter! :D

TC+GB,
Tom

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

[quote="TPK"]Hi again SSK,

Didn't have much time to write back this morning but I am TOTALLY STOKED that you have shared this/your financial wisdom with me and anyone else who may happen to read your last post. Thank you! I believe that a man with your background and experience knows exactly what works, how it works, why it works ect. And what does not work.

As I said, I have been thinking I should try investing in dividend stocks for some time now but I have always shyed away from it because of 2 reasons.:

Nr. 1) I wasn't 100% sure if it's really a good stratigie or if it was just another one of my get rich quick ideas.
Nr. 2) It's also been a question of not haveing enough money to invest enough at once to really make it worth the fee of 20-Euros.

I am gonna spend some more time on this theme now. Read a book or two about it and try to make (small but long term) investments in the direction of a better retirement. Im 46 now, so if I start right away, It can still make a difference in 20 years. Thanks again for your thoughts on this subject! I owe you one! ::handshake::

You are welcome Tom. Just avoid high dividend paying stocks, don’t get suckered by a company paying 7,8,10 or more percent. Those dividends are a red flag that something is wrong. You will get burnt w/ those stocks. Stick to quality. FInd an investment platform or company that allows you to invest in a DCA program. My old firm would allow as little as 100 dollars per month. The fee was 5 dollars or 2% whichever was greater. My guess is that there is something over there that would fit the bill. Most people don’t realize that you can start investing in such small amounts but you can and it’s a great way to get started. Several mutual fund companies have minimums to start as low as 250 dollars and you can invest on an on going basis for only 25 dollars per month. Doing something is better than nothing. You will be amazed at how much this will build up for you over time. You aren’t that old and you do have a lot of time ahead of you to build a nice nest egg. Be disciplined and stick to it and don’t dip into it. Consider it money you can’t get to and you will thank me even more in 15 or 20 years. I wish you the best.
SSk

Return to “Member Introductions”